J. Herbin Rose Cyclamen

dizzypen

Ink: J. Herbin Rose Cyclamen

This is a review from a sample I received from Pear Tree Pens (no affiliation).

This ink has excellent flow, but is fairly quick drying. It lubricates the nib well.

There is some excellent shading, which I cannot see in the picture below (unfortunately). Shading is better on smooth good quality paper than it is on the cheap stuff.

There is minimal feathering on cheap paper and none on the good stuff. Bleed-through is present on cheap paper, but not on my 32 lb. paper.

The color saturation is excellent, and the color is absolutely beautiful. It is a vibrant fuchsia (pink that leans toward purple). It jumps off the page at you. It is brighter and less red than Noodler’s Saguaro Wine, but still close enough to make comparison appropriate.

I love this ink!

Here are some pictures of the ink. On my screen they are true to hue.

http://images47.fotki.com/v1454/photos/4/1482744/7318469/JHRCcp-vi.jpg

http://images46.fotki.com/v1453/photos/4/1482744/7318469/JHRCstp-vi.jpg

First review done!

Edited by dizzypen

Equal Opportunity Ink and Fountain Pen User.

My blog: The Dizzy Pen

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dizzypen

• ladyinthemists

• Glenn-SC

• Epictete92

Thanks very much for the review. The color is striking.

May you have pens you enjoy, with plenty of paper and ink. :)

Please use only my FPN name "Gran" in your posts. Thanks very much!

This is an awesome ink, very well behaved and truly beautiful color ( if you like pinks, which I do). Thank you for the review.

• 5 months later...

I'm fairly new in here and just discovered the J. Herbin inks and this particular color stuck my fancy. Your review seems good enough to me. As they listed 9 different retail sources from whom to purchase their inks, are there any that you could recommend?

She who laughs, lasts 61106869_10219479460406206_6753598647167

I love this ink...just gave mine to a lady friend with a nice pink Lamy Safari!

I buy my Herbin ink from Jean-Elie at penandco.com .... they post worldwide at quite reasonable rates.

If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; But if you really make them think, they'll hate you.

Don Marquis

US humorist (1878 - 1937)

I'm fairly new in here and just discovered the J. Herbin inks and this particular color stuck my fancy. Your review seems good enough to me. As they listed 9 different retail sources from whom to purchase their inks, are there any that you could recommend?

The last place I bought ink was from our own FPN member Caligula who sells various FP inks. He has Herbin for $7 plus shipping. If you send him a PM or email he will tell you how to proceed. I've hhad good experiences ordering from him and would highly recommend him.

No affil. blah etc.

Equal Opportunity Ink and Fountain Pen User.

My blog: The Dizzy Pen

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday I managed to get over to Asheville, NC to Origami Ink (WOW! What a place!) and made my first J. Herbin ink purchase and most definitely it was Rose Cyclamen. What a beautiful fushcia ink...I love it! And it is my understanding that it is "pen-friendly" with my beloved vintage Esterbrook pens and I sincerely hope that this info is correct. I'm very happy with my purchase. However, I think that I just may make my next J. Herbin ink purchase from Caligula as he seems to have several colors available that I am interested in at a much better price. Thanks for the tip, dizzypen.

She who laughs, lasts 61106869_10219479460406206_6753598647167

ladyinthemists wrote:

" ... And it is my understanding that it is "pen-friendly" with my beloved vintage Esterbrook pens and I sincerely hope that this info is correct. ..."

Rose Cyclamen has been my favorite editing ink for several years. I love the color.

ladyinthemists, J. Herbin inks are very pen friendly. For my vintage pens, I use almost entirely J. Herbin, MB or Pelikan inks, but I favor the Herbin. I have never experienced clogging or staining with a Herbin ink, and they are very easy to flush out of a pen.

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday I managed to get over to Asheville, NC to Origami Ink <i>(WOW! What a place!)</i> and made my first J. Herbin ink purchase and most definitely it was Rose Cyclamen. What a beautiful fushcia ink...I love it! And it is my understanding that it is "pen-friendly" with my beloved vintage Esterbrook pens and I sincerely hope that this info is correct. I'm very happy with my purchase. However, I think that I just may make my next J. Herbin ink purchase from Caligula as he seems to have several colors available that I am interested in at a much better price. Thanks for the tip, dizzypen.

Why not support the shop you bought it from?

Jack

• 4 years later...