Noodlers Polar Blue

penguinmaster

Few notes on this ink as well. It was done with a medium nibbed pen which added somewhat to the thicker text. A note on the feathering as well though, it does feather a bit, but not in the traditional sense that I think of. It definitely gets a thicker line as it dries, but it does not "spider-web" like other inks when they feather. That also led to the text being a bit thicker than normal.

http://facstaff.uww.edu/pellizzt/ink%20reviews/Noodlers%20Polar%20Blue.jpg

One edit, yeah I know I spelled friendship wrong in the quote, I realized it the moment I did it but was too lazy to re-do the review.

-Regards

Tom

Edited by penguinmaster

My Site: Pens and Ink

Philip Hull Memories Scan

Looking for: ...

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Inka

• scribbler77

• edbollix

• Peter from Sherwood Park

the colour of your sample looks like my colour samples ie spot on.

I found the ink to feather massively on all paper i tried it on but especially cheaper paper. I was using different nib widths and wet and drier writers to test it.

I have a serious love/hate relationship with Polar Blue. I origionally tried it in my Lamy Vista... skipped,wouldn't start after 30 seconds, huge fat line; not good. Then I tried it in a Hero 100 super fine point. Much nicer line but still skipped a LOT and the pen would not start. Both of these pens, though not super wet writers, work fine with other Noodlers and PR inks.

I then hit the jackpot with my Kaweco Sport! The Kaweco is a fine point though it lays down quite a wide line with the Polar Blue. The pen starts, doesn't really skip that much, and pretty much works like you would expect a pen to work. Problem solved after 2 or 3 months or screwing around.

I need water proof ink for a very specific application I have or I would have completely given up before this. I have grown to like the color and the stuff really is waterproof!

I have two large 4.5oz bottles of this ink and I too have sort of a "love/hate" for it, only because of the lightness of blue when used in an F or finer pen.

Using a medium nib it's a blue color exactly like seen in Toms' review, but when used in anything fine tipped it's almost hard to see on white paper [hard on my eyes, at least].

It's definitely "bulletproof" though, as I did several wash tests from straight tap water to full-blown pure bleach and it doesn't wash out.

The chlorine test washed the inked lines from college ruled paper and actually burnt the paper edges brown but the Polar Blue remained.

Soaking paper with Polar Blue in Dawn dish washing liquid caused lines to "flare", like the writing had a gradient aura about it, but never did wash out.

Using 91% pure isopropyl alcohol straight didn't wash it out either, nor did using my wifes' nail polish remover take the Polar Blue out of the paper.

I love how smoothly my nibs glide across any paper types while using Polar Blue, definitely has that "Eel" in it as I can feel a difference when using it.

On my monitor the color of Toms' review is exactly what mine looks like, but when used in a F nib as explained above it looks too washed out for my liking.

Otherwise it is precisely as penguinmaster has described, it's a very wet writing ink, it does feather a bit on most paper types but no "spiderwebs".

If Noodler's made this pH neutral "bulletproof" Eel ink in a brighter color, say more like their more acidic Bay State Blue, I'd buy several bottles of it.

“I view my fountain pens & inks as an artist might view their brushes and paints.

They flow across paper as a brush to canvas, transforming my thoughts into words and my words into art.

There is nothing else like it; the art of writing and the painting of words!”

~Inka~ [scott]; 5 October, 2009

Thank you for the review -- I am getting overwhelmed with the number of possible blues out there, so it helps to see reviews such as this.

IIf Noodler's made this pH neutral "bulletproof" Eel ink in a brighter color, say more like their more acidic Bay State Blue, I'd buy several bottles of it.

Bay State Blue is alkaline, not acidic.

I'll have to dig out the wash-test sheet I made and scan it later, post it on here for all to see just how "bulletproof" Polar Blue really is.

Noodler's Polar Blue is an awesome ink, even if it does look somewhat washed out and more a pastel blue color when used in fine nib pens.

I'm trying a new mix/blend today, using Polar Blue ink as the major component.

So far I've come up with a beautiful deep dark blue "Indigo" ink that's still "bulletproof", almost a blue/black but some shades of deep purple too that changes hues depending on how light hits it.

For a starter test I made it with 7:3:1 ratios of Polar Blue [7 drops], Levenger Cobalt Blue [3 drops] and Noodler's Heart of Darkness [1 drop].

Those "free" Platinum eye-dropper conversion pens are great for ink blend testing.

Once I finish all the wash tests I'll have to post in the "mixing" thread so all can see the results.

I'll post the sheet of pure Polar Blue wash tests here later too, so all can see it for themselves.

Light in color Polar Blue is still one of my all-time favorite inks.

“I view my fountain pens & inks as an artist might view their brushes and paints.

They flow across paper as a brush to canvas, transforming my thoughts into words and my words into art.

Bay State Blue is alkaline, not acidic.

Thanks for the correction, my mistake and I do make mistakes from time to time as do most of us, so thanks for catching that for me.

I'd recalled Noodler's' saying it wasn't in their neutral pH ink category, tried to recall knowing it was a word that started with the letter "A" and "acid" sprung to mind first while trying to reply faster than I was thinking.

:headsmack:

Here's exactly how Noodler's describes Bay State Blue, in part:

"This ink is unique and has a different pH than other Noodler's Inks - being slightly more alkaline as indicated on the label."

:thumbup:

Thank You for the review, nice color. I wonder is it my imagination or your scan but it seems the same color as Noodlers Luxury blue which is bullet proof

The difference between the almost right word & the right word is really a large matter--it's the difference between the lightning bug and the lightning.

- Mark Twain in a Letter to George Bainton, 10/15/1888