Shaeffer Skrip Red

Armchop

:meow:

Hello all,

Over here in the UK we have a very poor choice of inks. Also even half decent fountain pens cost megabucks.

Anyway - as a high school teacher I've been looking for a good red tht is red for years.

Most I tried are transparent with no depth of colour at all.

I now use Shaeffer Skrip Red. It has a very bold red hue and it gives good colour saturation in several pens/nibs from fine to broad and wet to fairly dry writers.

Highly recommended.

I've had to cheat in photoshop a tiny bit as my scanner is rubbish. But the image is a close representation of the actual physical colour.

http://img.photoamp.com/i/vC5UW.JPG

Armchop

Edited by Armchop

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• L&R

• Goodwhiskers

• Armchop

• Dillo

Hi,

I have a few extra cartridges if you want. We don't use much here. Looks nice!

Dillon

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon

Thanks, Armchop B) ! That scan looks plenty close to the color I see on paper!

I just bought myself a bottle of Sheaffer Skrip Red (new stock, Slovenian) yesterday and filled my Duke Complete Esteem (fine point) with some. I like it, too! The color is a good, center-spectrum, very bright red. The behavior during writing on bad paper (Office Depot ruled writing pad) is as good as the behavior of Skrip Blue and Skrip Purple.

Comparison to Noodler's ("standard") Red:

Sheaffer Skrip Red is a little bit lighter, a lot brighter and more single-spectrum than Noodler's ("standard") Red; N's Red is more "opaque," and it shows a little bit of maroon.

N's Red behaves as well as Skrip Red during writing on bad paper.

My quick water test (Office Depot writing pad paper, ink dried overnight, tap water run over the page for five seconds and then allowed to soak in and drain toward one edge) of Skrip Red and N's Red on the same page shows a difference similar to Greg Clark's different water-resistance scores for these two inks in his Sampler: N's Red leaves a faint magenta component behind, legible if I look very closely in very good light, while Skrip Red rinses partly away with the remnant of the writing disappearing into the stain in a minute or two.

Of course, water resistance is not everything, especially when neither ink performs well enough for writing checks, signing contracts and addressing envelopes and postal / courier package labels (rubbed candle wax or clear tape solves the addressing problem). Banks and law courts don't appreciate signatures in any colors other than blue or black, anyhow :) . Just be careful to keep liquids away from the page(s) if you're prone to causing spills like I am. Greg Clark rates both of these red inks as "Very Good" for resistance to sunlight.

I enjoy and recommend both red inks equally. Sheaffer Skrip inks are easier to get than Noodler's (Mr. Tardif is working hard to make Noodler's more widely available, but at this moment Noodler's is still a small company), and the prices are about the same.

Edited by Goodwhiskers

Hi Armchop,

I notice your comment about the poor choice of inks in the UK. I used to agree but now I have found "The Writing Desk" and they have something like 150 inks available. Lots of good comments on their service. Also Andy's Pens has a good selection too. I have used both.

Although there are many inks that are not available, we are not too badly off here in the UK and things are improvig all the time.

Cheers,

Chris

From time to time, longtime and new FPN members alike have reported trouble posting their pictures on the FPN. In the forum "Pictures & Pen Photography," there is a topic thread, "How to post images on FPN," which I hope answers most questions on that issue; if there is still difficulty, post a reply on that topic thread describing exactly how you were trying to post the picture and quoting the exact error message; someone will post a helpful answer within a couple of days.

Edited by Goodwhiskers

• 2 weeks later...
I now use Shaeffer Skrip Red. It has a very bold red hue and it gives good colour saturation in several pens/nibs from fine to broad and wet to fairly dry writers.

Highly recommended.

Armchop, thanks to your review, I finally found the red I was looking for. I bought a (made in Slovenia) bottle a few days ago and I have been using it in a Lamy 2000 with a fine nib: it really stands out on the page, a great marking ink.

I was not happy with the two reds I had previously bought, namely, Omas Red and Parker Quink Permanent Red: too dark the former, too washed out the latter.

Edited by L&R

Was the Quink Red the newer France labeled bottle or the earlier UK version? I've only got the new version and its very bright - not washed out at all.

John

Was the Quink Red the newer France labeled bottle or the earlier UK version? I've only got the new version and its very bright - not washed out at all.

I did not know there were two versions :o On the box it says "Made in England". Good to know the newer version is brighter. Since I would hate to pour the ink down the drain, I am currently trying to augment its saturation through evaporation.

If I remember correctly I think the Skrip Red did pretty good in my very unscientific Florida sun-fade tests. The Brown did pretty good too, but the Violet faded fast.

How can you tell when you're out of invisible ink?

Hi Armchop,

Thank you for that exaemplar, it is very readable IMO. And it is a very bold red ink indeed.

BTW, regarding the cap of your Laban: just check where it isn't sealed air tight by blowing into it. If it is the spot where the clip is attached, it can be fixed fairly easily, by dripping a few drops of fluid candle wax into the cap. Just light a candle, and once there is a rim of molten wax, let a few drops fall into the centre of the cap. Just make sure you hold the cap straight, and the drops don't touch the sides.

I do this with most pens that don't seal properly, and which don't have breather holes like, e.g., Parker pens have, underneath the clip somewhere. If they do have breather holes, and I find the pen dries out, I just try to stuff a small piece of wax in the hole, and just smooth it a little on the outside.

HTH, warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

• 5 months later...

I agree totally with Armchop. Although I favor Parker quink as a rule, I find the red of Shaeffer skrip to be so much more saturated, brighter -but not too bright--, and more red as opposed to a pink or a burgundy.

I agree totally with Armchop. Although I favor Parker quink as a rule, I find the red of Shaeffer skrip to be so much more saturated, brighter -but not too bright--, and more red as opposed to a pink or a burgundy.

Do you have Parker Quink Permanent Red? Is it the old version (made in England, with SOLV-X) or the new one (made in France)? See the post by hatherton_wood above.

Is it a bit pink, or it is my monitor?.  I use waterman red, which I find a true red, not pinkish or purpleish (is that the way to write it?).

Not pink at all: it is a true red just like Waterman, slightly darker and more intense (I actually prefer it, but Waterman is very nice, too).

Edited by L&R

• 2 years later...
... The Skrip relly is a nice red with no hints of other hues IMHO.

Armchop

I received a bottle this week. This is my impression of red Skrip, thus far.

May you have pens you enjoy, with plenty of paper and ink. :)

Please use only my FPN name "Gran" in your posts. Thanks very much!