The Ultimate Guide to the Pelikan M200

Sallent

For all those new to Pelikans, the M200 is the first pen you may consider buying. After all, it's cheap and it's a Pelikan!

So if you are considering getting your first Pelikan, should you go ahead and order an M200? :unsure:

Size/Durability/Quality of material

Ok, so let's talk about the size and weight. It is a small pen by modern standards, however, it does have a good width and the light weight makes it a well balanced pen that can be used for hours at a time without discomfort.

When the cap is posted, the M200 turns into an average sized pen, suitable for larger hands :thumbup:

Capped and Uncapped M200 (Notice the size difference)

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z248/osall001/M200/100_5397.jpg

Well, what about the Quality??? How will my M200 hold up to years of use and abuse??? The M200 is a "battle tank" that can take lots of use, and yes, even abuse. The M200 pictured below has been used almost every day for more than 16 months, and despite being dropped on the floor twice, being carried in backpacks and other kinds of abuse, look at how good it looks.

It has endured a lot of tough love and after all this time it still looks as new as the day it was purchased. The M200 is a tough little pen :thumbup:

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z248/osall001/M200/100_5394.jpg

Piston Mechanism/Ink

How much ink will my M200 hold? Plenty, about 1.4 m of ink. As you can see from the pictures below, the piston's parts are made of plastic. However, it is well put together and tough. It can take years of heavy use and it will still work perfectly. Pelikan pistons are known for their smoothness and ease of operation.

Note: as you can see from the pictures below, there is some humidity that builds up around the piston mechanism, but since it's plastic, you do not need to worry about it, it won't affect the performance of the smooth and reliable piston. You will not even notice it anyway unless you happen to have a clear M200 Demo.

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z248/osall001/M200/100_5399.jpg

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z248/osall001/M200/100_5400.jpg

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z248/osall001/M200/100_5401.jpg

Versatility

The first nice thing is the ink window. Not only does this pen hold a ton of ink, but you can see how much you have left without much effort.

One of the best features of the M200 is the interchangeable nib. You can swap your nib with ease and replace it with a stub, italic, medium, fine, or any other type of nib you desire. You can even replace the gold plated steel nib with the 14K gold nib of an M400 and have a whole different pen without having to replace it or buy another(see pictures below)

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z248/osall001/M200/100_5402.jpg

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z248/osall001/M200/100_5403.jpg

Interesting Features

The turning knob for the piston has a smaller circumference than the body of the M200. This causes the M200 when posted to allow the cap to post securely without scratching the body of the M200. It's hard to explain the exact mechanics, but if you get a demonstrator you'll be able to see it easily. It works :thumbup:

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z248/osall001/M200/100_5405.jpg

Conclusion:

If you have read this far and have not ordered an M200 yet, what are you still doing here? I think the review speaks for itself. It is an excellent pen whose only fault is that it works so good, it's so reliable and it's so easy to use that it can get borring. If you like cheap pens that leak and don't work, the M200 is not for you.

However, if you like high quality pens that won't break your bank account, go buy yourself the M200.

Edited by Dr Ozzie

Ball-point pens are only good for filling out forms on a plane.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sallent

• mrt77

• RevAaron

• sarai

Great review, easy to see how Pelikan fever takes hold. Grab the M200 and the next thing you know you have a flock of birds ;-)

Blackranger

"Don't sweat the small stuff, and it's all small stuff."

I totally agree with everything you said!

But there's one thing I would add.

It's an answer to those who find that they are too light.

If you're one of those, grab a M215!!

Same great pen, but heavier.

«This statement wouldn't be funny if not for irony.»

-Randall Munroe

Hey Doc, whatever happened to not having duplicate reviews? :D

Doesn't apply to Pelikans :lol:

In all fairness, there hasn't been a Pelikan Review in quite a while. Therefore I decided to break the trend today

For whenever the flock felt the need to punch someone, I presume?

I kid. :P

Edited by Beardy

<i>No nation could preserve its freedom in the midst of continual warfare.</i>

Pens currently in carrying case: Lamy 2000 F with Noodler's Navy/Bulletproof Black mix, Sheaffer Imperial M with Noodler's Golden Brown, and Lamy Logo F with Noodler's Bulletproof Black.

Just coming to the 2 week close of owning this pen (black, F nib) and I'm thinking to myself, "Why did I wait so long before I ordered one?" Next on the list; a M400 nib for this little guy.

Namiki Kasuri VP, Pilot Murex

Sailor Sapporo / Sailor 1911

Lamy 2000 / Studio / Safari

WTB: Nakaya Writer (when pigs fly!)

For all those new to Pelikans, the M200 is the first pen you may consider buying. After all, it's cheap and it's a Pelikan!

Nonono, Dr. it's not cheap, it's merely unexpensive!

However, if you like high quality pens that won't break your bank account, go buy yourself the M200.

Yes, my problem is that they sell the pens that will break my bank account too...

Thank you for your post, a good reference for the M200. And your love for it is so blatant, I like it!

Cheers,

<font face="Verdana"><b><font color="#2f4f4f">d</font></b><font color="#4b0082">iplo</font></font><br /><br /><a href='http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?showuser=6228' class='bbc_url' title=''><font face="Trebuchet MS"><br /><font size="4"><b><font color="#8b0000"><font color="#696969">Go</font> <font color="#006400">To</font> <font color="#a0522d">My</font> <font color="#4b0082">FPN</font> Profile!</font></b></font></font><br /></a>

Do you have opinions on the 400, 600, 800 and 1000?

:drool:

I currently own the M400, the M600 and used to own an M1000.

The M400: It is the same size as the M200 and all the same great features, such as the flawless piston filler mechanism and the ability to change nibs (all Souverans do). The one thing that stands out about the M400 is the quality of the celulose. As you know, the M200's body is made from a high quality plastic, while the M400 is made of a finer celulose plastic. The M400's body feels warmer than the M200's, plus the extra Gold trim makes it look classier. Other than that, it is the same as the M200.

The one thing about the M400 that I don't like as much as the M200 is that it's 14K nib (in my opinion) is not as springy a the M200's Gold plated nib. Also, the M200 nib is slightly larger (which I prefer). That being said, the M400 has a nice nib.

The M600: It is my favorite Pelikan. The nib is very similar in springiness to the M200 and has a lot of the same feel. The M600's nib is 14K. I personally think the M600's size is perfect and it is the same size as a classic vintage business pen. It fits easily in your pocket and it's light weight makes it a very balanced pen.

The M1000: It was huge. Frankly it was too big for my hands even though I have big hands. The large nib (while extremely nice) was a little odd and took me a while to get used to. The nice thing about this nib is that it has a lot of springiness, but the size of the nib and the pen's overall size was a little more than I was accustomed to, so I sold it.

A lot of people have complained that the M1000 is frankly a little bit of an overkill when it comes to size, though it's by no means the largest pen in the market.

I do not have an M800, though most people here seem to be torn between the M600 and M800. I think you should try both. Depending on how big you like your pens, you will end up prefering one over the other, though they are both built with the same quality and perform just as good.

I should note too that the M1000 and M800 have an 18K Gold nib. This doesn't really enhance the performance and in my opinion do not make them any better than the 14K nibs. Also, the M1000 and M800 have brass parts for the piston mechanism, which make them a little bit heavier than the rest of the Souverans, though not a whole lot.

Try them all and decide which one is best for you. In my case I love the M600, though the M200 has become an indispensable part of my FP collection (I have 7 or 8 M200s in total).

I would love to add an M800 to the flock. Am working on that

Edited by Dr Ozzie

Ahhh, yes, the M200--also known as the gateway drug! Dr. Ozzie forgot to mention once you let a 200 in, others are soon to follow. Fair warning!

And if I may be so bold as to add to the above glowing endorsement, don't forget about the M215 if you want to add some heft to the M200 size range. Fabulous pen and wonderful review--he's not making this stuff up. Pels really are that good!

Dr. Ozzie, great review! I think we can add the 215 to that too - it really is the same pen, but with a metal body.

Viva el Pelicano!

Erick

Using right now:

Visconti Voyager 30 "M" nib running Birmingham Streetcar

Jinhao 9019 "EF" nib running Birmingham Railroad Spike

Stipula Adagio "F" nib running Birmingham Violet Sea Snail

Sailor Profit "B" nib running Van Dieman's Night - Shooting Star

Dr. Ozzie, great review! I think we can add the 215 to that too - it really is the same pen, but with a metal body.

Viva el Pelicano!

Erick

I've been meaning to add the M215 to my colletion, but the problem is that there are so many other nice Pelikans that am trying to get that the M215 keeps getting pushed back.

I have to add an M320, an M420, a blue M800 and a simple M150 to my collection before I can get the M215. I guess I'll eventually work my way down the list. Once I get one it will be nice to do a comparative review of the M200 and M215, unless one of you wants to compare and contrast your own M200 and M215? :hmm1:

I have to add an M320, an M420, a blue M800 and a simple M150 to my collection before I can get the M215.

Who said Pelikans are addictive?

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

Great pen, and very nice overview.

One cool thing about the 200 is that Richard Binder sells wonderful custom nibs for them, both in steel and 14K gold, stubs, italics, etc. And he sells the 200 body without a nib, so you can put together quite a special pen for a very reasonable amount.

No affiliation, just a fan.

Edited by MYU
name correction

"The surface is all you've got. You can only get beyond the surface by working with the surface." ~Richard Avedon

How does the size and girth compare between a Pel 800 and Levenger True writer? (I am not comparing Pels and Levengers, so don't go there.)

I really like the feel of the True writer and haven't an 800 to compare. What I am really asking is other thatn weight is the hand feel similar or is the 800 larger? The True writer seems a little bigger than the 600.

Thanks!

I thought this excellent thread would get better long-term exposure and be more accessible in the Pen Reviews Forum. Nice work, Dr Ozzie :)

Bill