Pelikan M605 Souveran

bphollin

Pelikan M605 Souveran

Handwritten review

Here's a scan of my thoughts on the M605, transcription and photos below.

I've spent a few week with my new Pelikan M605 (solid blue) with factory Fine nib and I can say it is my favorite FP to date--probably the last new (expensive) pen I'll need to buy for a while. (Wants are a different story, of course....) Below I discuss the filling system, nib, ergonomics, and aesthetics.

Filling System

Pelikan is famous for the piston filling Souveran and Tradition pens--probably the best piston fillers going. Flawless German engineering & simple to use: twist the knob anti-clockwise to expel the air, dip the nib in your ink bottle and twist the knob clockwise. That's all she wrote. These modern pens hold approx 1.3 ml of ink--a generous amount for even the most serious writers. The clear ink window on this particular model lets you see when ink is getting low--and you can watch the piston go if that's your thing. For me, piston fill is more conventient [than c/c] and the generous ink capacity is a blessing.

Nib

The 14c gold, two-tone nib on my pen is a dream! This is my first gold nib. At first I didn't notice a difference between the SS & plated nibs, but now I notice that I go to my Lamy Al-Star much less frequently than when I was using it alongside my steel M215. Some write of a "sweet spot" with their nibs--this is a "sweet nib." I can write at any angle and rotate the pen in any direction. The nib was a touch dry so I flossed it with an overhead transparency and now it is quite juicy but not a gusher. This particular nib is firm--not stiff, per se--but certainly not springy or flexible like vintage Pel nibs. The pen and nib feel immune to any kind of flow issues. It starts up everytime, even when I keep it uncapped during lectures or while making annotations in reading material. I've left it uncapped for a few hours and it started with no hesitation. It has yet to skip. Hands down the most brilliant nib I've thus used.

Ergonomics

This pen replaces my Pelikan M215 Tradition. It is only a shade longer and wider unposted, but these small details make the M600 much more comfortable in my hand. Funny how that works out. Chalk it up to Pelikan nailing the details, once again. The biggest difference is in weight. The M600/M605 is much lighter than the M215 or my Lamy Al-Star, posted and not. At first the featherweight M605 turned me off but after putting it through its paces writing a chapter for my thesis, I've come to appreciate the lightness of this pen. I can write for hours and the only fatigue is mental. Not so with the 215.

Aesthetics

Pelikan pens are conservative--or modestly elegant, depending on who you ask. I prefer the understated elegance, but will agree that this is no flasher. Fine by me. I like the pairing of blue and silver, so this solid/dark blue M605 was a no-brainer. They are out of production but can be had if you look in the right places. I like this color very much, but I wouldn't get another Pel in the same color. As noted, I loke the clear ink window, a feature missing from the M215. The Souveran line has more detailing than the 200/215-- larger cap and clip, attention to the nib design, and double rings on the filler knob and cap.

Closing thoughts

I was on the fence between the M600/605 and the M800/805 models when I was considering my purchase. After spending a few weeks with the lighter M605, I feel like I made the right decision based on my preferences and previous experience with heavier pens--ends up I like a lighter pen after all. The only considerable difference between the Souveran pens is the size, weight and nib size; for me the 600 is comfortable, even with my oafish manhands. Your preferences will vary, of course. The thing that unites the Pelikan range is the incredible quality and workmanship. If there is a problem, Pelikan services is quick to make it right--fortunately I haven't had to know about this first-hand.

In closing, I'm delighted with my F solid blue M605. These are solid workhorses and I have no doubts this pen will bring me years--decades--of reliable service. In the sage advice of Ferris Bueller, "It is so choice. If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up."

M605 with Pelikan 4001 Blue-Black ink on Neenah Classic Crest paper, super smooth finish, classic natural white color.

Here's a link to other Pelikan Reviews.

Since none of the pen shops around me carry Pels (shame on them!) I really appreciate size comparison shots. These are the M215, Lamy Al-Star, and M605 from top to bottom.

post-16154-1227554275.jpg

Uncapped

post-16154-1227554295.jpg

Posted

post-16154-1227554316.jpg

Capped

Enjoy,

Brandon

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MYU

• I am not a number

• bphollin

• Breck

Top Posters In This Topic

Great review! You hit pretty much every salient point I could think of in a pen review. It's a great-looking pen, and definitely one that's on my Someday List.

The photos are very helpful, too. I'm a little surprised at just how little difference in unposted length there is between the 605 and the 215.

Nice match between pen and ink color, too. ;)

Thanks, and kudos again on a great review.

Thanks Brandon, I have one of these and swapped the nib out yesterday from M to an OB which is incredibly smooth and luscious.

You have expertly summed up the pen, so many thanks for a great review!

It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of nothing at all...

I've been wanting one of these since I first became interested in fountain pens when I was 16. I received the rollerball for my 16th birthday, and although I used it a great deal, I couldn't help but thinking how great it would be to have the FP. One of these days I hope to pick one up to add to my collection of Pelikans. Great review, btw.

"Instant gratification takes too long."-Carrie Fisher

Nice pict's.

As others have posted, couldn't have said it better myself.

My M605 demo is daily writer for paperwork at clinic. Great writer.

No need for me to say

"Enjoy!"

--Bruce