Nakaya Long cigar Wajima urushi araishu Tamenuri

Titivillus

Wonderful pen- you should buy one. That pretty much sums up my review...but if you want some details here they are-

1. First Impressions: The pen took 4 months to create so anything short of wonderful was going to disappoint after building up in my mind the perfect pen. It arrived with an outer box of a while paperboard with pearl fibers in it. Opening that up showed the inner box a light wooden box with the Nakaya Logo as well as some Japanese on it. Inside was the pen and a box of blue/black cartridges. The pen arrived in a little kimono, dark blue with gold squares and an interesting clasp.

2. Appearance and Finish: It is a long pen and without clip it will most likely live on or around my desk at home. the Wajima urushi araishu Tamenuri is different from the standard color in that the base red is not the usual dark red but rather an orange red so that the pen appears to be red brown rather than a standard red color. The section and the cap lip already show the lighter color and holding the pen up to the light there is some variation that is interesting. The pen is seamless and the single color gold nib is the perfect match for it.

3. Design/Size/Weight: The pen is 6-1/2" long and if you were to post it probably would be around 8", the diameter is 9/16" so comparable to the cap of a M800. With a cartridge installed it weighs 0.9 oz. The nib is a flexible fine single color nib that really is tuned to my writing style as it hits a sweet spot when held normally and a little increase in angle is lost.

4. Nib Design & Performance: It's a Pilot nib renamed Nakaya that is tuned to my hand. what more to say?

5. Filling System: This pen uses a cartridge or converter. But it is the Platinum Large mouth converter so I figure it will be fine. The cartridges are interesting in that they have a ball bearing as the seal that you pop into the cart. to seat.

6. Cost/Value: It is a Nakaya so there isn't any discount but looking at the pen you know that it was created by hand and will last several lifetimes if taken care of.

7. Overall Opinion/Conclusion: Still in the honeymoon phase with this pen but so far it is great. I posted pics of it in another thread but I am anxious to see how it behaves/ changes over time.

Because of some whiner here are a few pics of the pen:

Edited by Titivillus

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Titivillus

• QM2

• Usui

• thibaulthalpern

Top Posters In This Topic

I like it...your review that is. Crisp and to the nib, ehr point. Those pictures and lengthy descriptions, impressions and comparisons, blah blah blah...

Bottom line wonderful pen - buy it. :notworthy1:

Im off to get one now. B)

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.” - Robert McClosky

Thanks for the review.

One small question: I think it's a "repackaged" Platinum nib and converter, isn't it? Or is there a connection between Pilot and Nakaya I don't know about?

Thanks for the review.

One small question: I think it's a "repackaged" Platinum nib and converter, isn't it? Or is there a connection between Pilot and Nakaya I don't know about?

If I recall all of the Nakaya employees are retired Pilot workers.

Thanks for the review.

Platinum workers

Thanks for the review.

Platinum workers

Strike Pilot and replace with Platinum everywhere that I wrote it above. :embarrassed_smile:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y48/burgessmw/Other%20Stuff/this_thread_is_worthless_without_pics.gif

Did you ever think to read the review and see that I already posted pictures of the pen in another thread? I'm not going to eat up my picture storage space for no reason!

Did you ever think to read the review and see that I already posted pictures of the pen in another thread? I'm not going to eat up my picture storage space for no reason!

1.) If this will be filed in the review database for future use for years to come... at least a reference and a link to said "other thread" would be useful.

2.) Pic storage space is kind of mute in this modern age of free web hosting. I suggest hosting it on one of those sites. I use photobucket.

I'm just saying, this review is not complete without a picture of it's pen.

Edited by Usui

Luke 13:1-9 saved my life.

1.) If this will be filed in the review database for future use for years to come... at least a reference and a link to said "other thread" would be useful.

2.) Pic storage space is kind of mute in this modern age of free web hosting. I suggest hosting it on one of those sites. I use photobucket.

It's moot not mute.

K

(bleep) - It's a beautiful pen - thanks for the review. it would be nice to hear more from you regarding the Nakaya nib. Did you go for the Fine with 'Soft and Flexible' or 'Elastic' modifications? How flexible do you find it/what kind of line width variation is possible? How does it compare in terms of flexibility with other modern flexible nibs? (Pilot-Namiki Falcon variants, Binderized Pelikan etc.). Would be most interested in any writing samples. Many thanks.

I was looking through John Mottishaw's website and I noticed only Soft Fine available and no Elastic Fine. Wonder why...hmm..

I wonder if one could get the Elastic Fine nib on another pen and thus not have to pay $400 for a pen.

m( _ _ )m (– , –) \ (^_^) /

I was looking through John Mottishaw's website and I noticed only Soft Fine available and no Elastic Fine. Wonder why...hmm..

I wonder if one could get the Elastic Fine nib on another pen and thus not have to pay $400 for a pen.

I've commented on this in another thread, but when I ordered my Decapod through Mottishaw, I asked for an elastic, and the person I went through came back and said that John didnt want to order it, and that I should get a flexible instead.

Apparently he has strong feelings about it. I didn't really pursue it, but my third Nakaya will have one, by god, even if he's right and I hate it.

By the way Kurt, I think that Usui was just trying to be supportive with his request for pictures. No need to demean him for that.

Edited by Doug C

the Danitrio Fellowship

It's moot not mute.

K

K

Decaf, man. He was trying to be helpful.

John

Beautiful pen!

Sincerely,

The Whiner

P.S. As I haven't been following the saga, I apologize in advance if this has already been discussed, and if it's not too personal, how did you decide on the color?

Luke 13:1-9 saved my life.

I've commented on this in another thread, but when I ordered my Decapod through Mottishaw, I asked for an elastic, and the person I went through came back and said that John didnt want to order it, and that I should get a flexible instead.

Apparently he has strong feelings about it. I didn't really pursue it, but my third Nakaya will have one, by god, even if he's right and I hate it.

Is that right? How odd. Hmm...could you point me to other threads where the elastic and soft fine is discussed?

Edited by thibaulthalpern

m( _ _ )m (– , –) \ (^_^) /

So Kurt, I'm guessing that you no longer want to sell it :)

The rung of a ladder was never meant to rest upon, but only to hold a man's foot long enough to enable him to put the other somewhat higher - Thomas Huxley

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

It's moot not mute.

K

Isn't it generally considered around here to be extremely rude to correct people's spelling and grammar? If I may, there are several people on this forum who are not native English speakers. I believe that when you were an admin and a moderator you helpfully made us mindful of not becoming "grammar notzis". Many of us took that lesson to heart. Thank you.

K

Edited to add: beautiful pen.

Edited by OboeJuan

Why, sometimes I'd like to take a switchblade and a peppermint and a Cadillac and throw it all in a fire.

Danitrio Fellowship

Isn't it generally considered around here to be extremely rude to correct people's spelling and grammar? If I may, there are several people on this forum who are not native English speakers. I believe that when you were an admin and a moderator you helpfully made us mindful of not becoming "grammar notzis". Many of us took that lesson to heart. Thank you.

K

Edited to add: beautiful pen.

It's Nazis, not Notzis. Duh.

:bunny01: :bunny01: :bunny01: :bunny01: :bunny01: :bunny01: :bunny01: :bunny01: :bunny01:

Fool: One who subverts convention or orthodoxy or varies from social conformity in order to reveal spiritual or moral truth.