Conway Stewart Churchill

AKAGodSent

I haven't done a review in a while simply because I cannot take pictures of my new acquisitions at the moment. But, some pictures of this pen were available online (I'm actually borrowing them off of Bill Riepl's liquidation sale site (http://www.runningdogstudio.com/IR/IRCS.htm)) so I thought I'd do a review of this pen.

The first time I tried a Churchill was at the Fountain Pen Hospital Pen Expo last year, the same one which introduced me to the Michel Perchin MP5. I was surprised by how smooth the Churchill was, reminiscent of the MP5 but for about half the price. Since the MP5 had caught my eye first, I chose to eventually purchase it, but I knew at some point I'd like to own a Churchill as well. Well, Bill's liquidation sale was a dream come true, in more ways than one.

To start, this pen is not small but it isn't huge either. A little longer than the Sailor 1911 and a bit wider, but with the cap off it is quite light in your hand. I was surprised at that, I'm somewhat happy as this means I could probably take quite a few notes with it if I ever take it to school. The presentation box the pen comes with is not the sturdiest, like a Visconti or Aurora box, but it comes with a lot of extras inside! You receive a Cigar, a bottle of ink, a little book on Churchill, and some papers for the pen. I'd have to say one of the reasons I was drawn to this pen is the historical value I associate with it. I am a student of history and specifically WWII. I have Churchill's 6 volume work on WWII and his 5 volume work, The World Crisis, on WWI. So owning something named for him is an added bonus.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b19/akagodsent/IRchurchill6.jpg

The design/aesthetics of the pen are also something that caught my eye. These pictures will simply not show you the depth that this demonstrator has, it is absolutely beautiful as you're seeing past the outside and into the inside in bits and pieces, an unexpected surprise when I actually picked up the pen and examined it up close.

The pen is filled with a lever and holds a good amount of ink. Although I'm somewhat impartial to how pens are filled, be it piston filler or C/C, the lever filler is a very quick process, faster than the aforementioned two and doesn't take much work, no twisting back and forth, just pull down the lever, put the nib into the ink, push up the lever, hold for a few seconds, and you're done.

On to the nib, the most important part of any pen. Thanks to a certain member of this forum who shared with me his love for Cursive Italics, I gave them a chance and ordered a VP Cursive Italic Nib from Richard Binder. Today, I wish all of my writers were Cursive Italics! So, I took a chance and ordered this Churchill with an Italic Fine nib, it did not disappoint :).

A close up shot of the nib:

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b19/akagodsent/IRchurchill7.jpg

The nib isn't as smooth as I remembered it to be when I tried it at the Pen Expo, but that's probably because it was a regular M or F nib and not an Italic. I somewhat enjoy the ever slight feedback I feel and hear as I write with this pen. It is a wet writer, which is a must for me, and definitely one of my favorites by far.

Some of these are still available from Bill for an excellent price. I hope this review was helpful to at least some, sorry I could not take pictures of a writing sample or the box :( but believe me, you won't be disappointed!

Edited by AKAGodSent

“It is forbidden to kill; therefore all murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets.” Voltaire

"'The French Soldier,' pronounced Rostopchin, 'has to be incited to battle by high-sounding phrases; the German must have it logically proved to him that it is more dangerous to run away than to advance; but the Russian soldier has to be held back, and urged to go slowly!'" War and Peace

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• AKAGodSent

• offbase

• goodguy

• Sallent

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I just found a second pen company to compliment my Pelikan addiction.

You don't know how hard it is to find a pen with classical stylings and a built in filler.

Well done, I love this pen and I will be getting myself one thanks to your review. I already have piston fillers with Pelikan, now am going to have lever fillers covered with this beautiful pen :thumbup:

Edited by Dr Ozzie

Ball-point pens are only good for filling out forms on a plane.

You don't know how hard it is to find a pen with classical stylings and a built in filler.

Well done, I love this pen and I will be getting myself one thanks to your review. I already have piston fillers with Pelikan, now am going to have lever fillers covered with this beautiful pen :thumbup:

Make sure you get this color, as the others are C/C :) enjoy and let me know how you like it!

“It is forbidden to kill; therefore all murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets.” Voltaire

"'The French Soldier,' pronounced Rostopchin, 'has to be incited to battle by high-sounding phrases; the German must have it logically proved to him that it is more dangerous to run away than to advance; but the Russian soldier has to be held back, and urged to go slowly!'" War and Peace

Wow Yan what a gorgeous pen.

I really want to get the Churchill but always find myself getting deeper into MB pens but I am sure I will get one in the future.

This pen is too beautiful to ignure.

Enjoy :thumbup:

Respect to all

Wow Yan what a gorgeous pen.

I really want to get the Churchill but always find myself getting deeper into MB pens but I am sure I will get one in the future.

This pen is too beautiful to ignure.

Enjoy :thumbup:

Get the Italic Fine and I'm sure you won't be disappointed :)

Make sure you get this color, as the others are C/C :) enjoy and let me know how you like it!

That's only if you buy from FPN. Swisher sells them in both cc and lever in most all available colors. I'd love one in Meteor or Classic Green!

That's only if you buy from FPN. Swisher sells them in both cc and lever in most all available colors. I'd love one in Meteor or Classic Green!

Nice to know :)

I still wanna try the italic broad.

That is one gorgeous pen!

Hear you....Conways are absolutely beautiful writing tools and their nibs, fantastic. Now, if only prices were more affordable...

Hear you....Conways are absolutely beautiful writing tools and their nibs, fantastic. Now, if only prices were more affordable...

that's why I have four vintage Conways. Wonderfully writing pens and quite affordable--most from the late 40s and early 50s. Might save up for this one, though

Knoxville TN & Palm Coast FL

Hi GP,

You will love the IB - I've got two. My first one was from Kevin (Winedoc) in his Appellation, and the second one is in a bespoke Dandy which I bought from Richard Binder. Extremely smooth writers and gorgeous line variation!

Regards,

Soki

http://i1027.photobucket.com/albums/y331/fuchsiaprincess/Fuchsiaprincess_0001.jpg http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2010/036/2/2/Narnia_Flag_by_Narnia14.gif

• 4 months later...

This is a fantastic pen. What color! I suppose all of your pens will be fine italics now, right? Do you know if these are still available?

Shamouti