Montegrappa Miya Argento Turquoise

feiye

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk41/souveran/miya01.jpg

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk41/souveran/miya02.jpg

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk41/souveran/miya03.jpg

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk41/souveran/miya04.jpg

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk41/souveran/miya05.jpg

1) First Impressions 10/10

If there's one thing that Montegrappa knows how to do well, it is to create beauty. This applies for the cream coloured packaging for the Miya Argento range, complete with a pull out drawer that houses the paperwork to go with the pen. I can't remember exactly how I felt when I acquired this pen, but at a glance, the packaging is very impressive and the Turquoise celluloid is a stunner.

2) Appearance & Design 8/10

The Miya line from Montegrappa fixes one of the key complaints many have regarding the number of turns it takes to uncap the pen. The Miya Argento cap unscrews neatly in one turn. The barrel gently curves outward near the middle and rests nicely in the hand. All fittings and trims on the Miya Argento are solid sterling silver. Whilst this is an attractive finish, it does have the downside of silver tarnish. Thankfully, a quick polish with the silver polishing cloth provided by Montegrappa with each Miya Argento pen will help out on the tarnishing.

The grip section on the Argento is an improvement over the regular Miya as it has some fine engraving allowing for better gripping. The grip section is solid sterling silver and can be considered a downside for those who dislike metal sections. The celluloid is stunning and beyond compare. With the Montegrappa Miya Argento, the beauty is in the details, the fine engraving on the cap, the subtle ring of celluloid breaking the silver monotony on the cap and vice versa on the barrel. Each Miya is unique in how celluloid is never the same.

3) Weight & Dimensions 10/10

The dimensions are: 134mm capped, 122mm uncapped and 155mm posted. Whilst this doesn't seem too large, it does feel substantial due to the pregnant bulge towards the middle of the pen allowing it to sit nicely in hand.

Weight is neither heavy nor light, the Argento has more weight when capped due to the solid sterling silver cap and does not lend itself well to posting.

4) Nib & Performance 9/10

My Miya Argento deserves a 11/10 for performance. It writes brilliantly. However, I understand that not everyone has had as much success with theirs as I have. The Miya has been known to have ink flow problems due to some inconsistent QC but I haven't heard of it being too big a problem.

My Argento has no performance anxiety at all as demonstrated in the photos, it also has a nice bit of flex that is ever so luscious. The Argentos come with a two tone 18kt Bock nib that has Montegrappa and their Greek key engraved on the nib.

5) Filling System 7/10

Cartridge/converter filling system, nothing too exciting here. I think the Miya would have done well as a piston filler though.

6) Cost & Value 8/10

The Miya Argento is not a cheap pen. As wonderful as it is, I do not feel it justifies its recommended retail price. However, when purchasing this pen, it should be remembered that one is purchasing a work of art - a handmade beauty decked in precious materials. Celluloid and sterling silver are two materials that are difficult to work together and the Miya Argento has combined both of them to create a solid feeling and very workable pen.

These aren't usually found on the second hand market either and with Richemont not allowing retailers to display prices online, it may contribute to why the Miya Argento is not the most popular pen around.

7) Conclusion

I love mine for its spectacular writing performance and the beauty and depth of its celluloid. The latter cannot be captured by any photos and one must hold the pen in their hand to truly experience it.

Edited by feiye

In rotation:

Pelikan M400 with Pilot Iroshizuku Momiji

Nakaya Kuro-tame Desk Pen with Platinum Blue

Visconti Van Gogh Maxi with Aurora Black

Twitter: @souveran

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• feiye

• CharlieB

• diplomat

• Deirdre

Top Posters In This Topic

A nice well made pen. I've always wanted to see someone review this most interesting pen. Have you had any issues with the feed or flow of ink?

Thanks for the great photos and writing sample.

A nice well made pen. I've always wanted to see someone review this most interesting pen. Have you had any issues with the feed or flow of ink?

Thanks for the great photos and writing sample.

Thank you Brian!

I've had no issues with the flow on this pen, it has been a stellar writer out of the box. My regular handwriting (the bulk of the review) is very quickly written and many pens don't keep up but as you can see, no such problems with the Miya Argento.

The feed is an ebonite feed and regulates the flow on this pen excellently - it's not a gusher and sets down just the right amount of ink so the extra fine actually writes like an extra fine (my handwriting is fairly small and the sample was written on 5mm grid paper).

The photos were taken with my phone so I wasn't sure how they'd turn out :unsure:

In rotation:

Is a brilliant review, and the pen is spectacular, beautiful design, color and nib. As many of us know, the awesome handwriting of Feiye adds up to the total. Thanks for sharing.

Great pictures. I've wanted a Montegrappa for a while, NeroUno I didn't like so much, but this one, I just might have to get :) Thanks for the review!

“It is forbidden to kill; therefore all murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets.” Voltaire

"'The French Soldier,' pronounced Rostopchin, 'has to be incited to battle by high-sounding phrases; the German must have it logically proved to him that it is more dangerous to run away than to advance; but the Russian soldier has to be held back, and urged to go slowly!'" War and Peace

Great photos and a very informative and helpful review! Thanks for posting it.

I've always liked Montegrappa pens, admiring the skillful use of silver and celluloid, two classic pen materials. I realize that the price is too high for many pen collectors, but like Feiye, I consider them works of art.

CharlieB

"The moment he opened the refrigerator, he saw it. Caponata! Fragrant, colorful, abundant, it filled an entire soup dish, enough for at least four people.... The notes of the triumphal march of Aida came spontaneously, naturally, to his lips." -- Andrea Camilleri, Excursion to Tindari, p. 212

Lovely pen! You also have equally lovely handwriting! The combination of sterling silver and the turquoise celluloid is very nice. Although I'm not too keen on the cap design, I can't really think of a better pattern for the silver.

You are right that the celluloid looks alive. It reminds me of the sea.

Is that the line variation you get with a standard nib? If it is, that is very impressive. A pretty pen, with equally pretty writing to match it. Enjoy it!

Montblanc 145, F nib
Faber Castell E-Motion in Pearwood, F nib
Montblanc 149, F nib
Visconti Divina Proporzione 1618, S nib
Montblanc Cool Blue Starwalker, EF nib
Montblanc Solitaire Silver Barley BP
Montblanc Rouge et Noir Coral, M nib

Beautiful pen, ink, and handwriting combination! Montegrappas are a delight to the eye -- and they love to have their pictures taken!! Thanks for the review. HP

The sky IS falling. C. Little

well written review with lovely photos. thank you.

mike

Only when the last tree has died and the last river been poisoned and the last fish been caught will we realise we cannot eat money.

- Cree Indian Proverb

Thanks feye, what a lovely pen. I really should upgrade and get a celluloid collection Montegrappa. Maybe a 1930 to get the piston filler frature. How pity they are so expensive!!!

Do you have both (Mya and 1930 Extra)? How they compare?

Grazie again for the review!

Andre

<font face="Verdana"><b><font color="#2f4f4f">d</font></b><font color="#4b0082">iplo</font></font><br /><br /><a href='http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?showuser=6228' class='bbc_url' title=''><font face="Trebuchet MS"><br /><font size="4"><b><font color="#8b0000"><font color="#696969">Go</font> <font color="#006400">To</font> <font color="#a0522d">My</font> <font color="#4b0082">FPN</font> Profile!</font></b></font></font><br /></a>

That is a gorgeous pen, and it has a beautifully writing nib to boot!

"I can't imagine a more stirring symbol of man's humanity to man than a fire engine."

Kurt Vonnegut

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/8703/letterminizk9.png http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.png

Thank you everyone for reading this review - I'm glad you found it handy! I've been wanting to do a review of these pens for a while now to share my passion for them, they're not extremely well known pens across FPN.

I would definitely recommend this pen if anyone is looking to get a celluloid Montegrappa - the Miya is a well made pen. The celluloid is spectacular, the pen itself feels solid in the hand and most of all, it corrected the faulty inner cap problem present in most older Symphony models.

Great pictures. I've wanted a Montegrappa for a while, NeroUno I didn't like so much, but this one, I just might have to get :) Thanks for the review!

The Miya and Miya Argento have a lot more character than the NeroUno (which admittedly I am also a fan of) and I think look more stunning.

Lovely pen! You also have equally lovely handwriting! The combination of sterling silver and the turquoise celluloid is very nice. Although I'm not too keen on the cap design, I can't really think of a better pattern for the silver.

You are right that the celluloid looks alive. It reminds me of the sea.

The cap design is quite subtle, my poor camera phone photos don't show the intricate pattern that create the larger divided squares design.

Is that the line variation you get with a standard nib? If it is, that is very impressive. A pretty pen, with equally pretty writing to match it. Enjoy it!

The Miya and Miya Argento nibs are really luck of the draw. I tried all of the Miyas I owned prior to purchase and I had three flexy nibs whereas the rest were rigid but very smooth. This Argento boasts the the most line variation from a stock nib, it flexes extremely easily to a decent width.

Thanks feye, what a lovely pen. I really should upgrade and get a celluloid collection Montegrappa. Maybe a 1930 to get the piston filler frature. How pity they are so expensive!!!

Do you have both (Mya and 1930 Extra)? How they compare?

Grazie again for the review!

Andre

I do have both the Miya and Extra 1930. The biggest difference between the two (other than the price :P) is that the Miya and Miya Argento is a C/C whereas the Extra 1930 has an integrated piston. For me this is not a big deal, I believe the biggest difference between the two is the huge nib on the Extra. It looks and feels more impressive.

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk41/souveran/mgmiya.jpg

Miya Argento, Miya, Extra 1930 x2

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk41/souveran/mgmiya02.jpg

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk41/souveran/mgnib.jpg

Sorry for the blurred picture but you can still see how the oversized nib on the Extra completely dwarfs the Miya nib.

Edited by feiye

In rotation:

I do have both the Miya and Extra 1930. The biggest difference between the two (other than the price :P) is that the Miya and Miya Argento is a C/C whereas the Extra 1930 has an integrated piston. For me this is not a big deal, I believe the biggest difference between the two is the huge nib on the Extra. It looks and feels more impressive.

Wow! thanks for the pictures, they are really informative.

I was thining the relative size of the Mya was smaller compared to the Extra, but I see from your pics they are more or less the same size, which puts in light the impressive difference of tne nibs.

But I wonder now... which one is more pricey? The Mya for the silver cap or the Extra for the extra nib surface + piston filler mechanism? I ca't tell from those parameters! Is the bigger nib giving more flexibility?

Ciao and grazie again,

Andre

<font face="Verdana"><b><font color="#2f4f4f">d</font></b><font color="#4b0082">iplo</font></font><br /><br /><a href='http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?showuser=6228' class='bbc_url' title=''><font face="Trebuchet MS"><br /><font size="4"><b><font color="#8b0000"><font color="#696969">Go</font> <font color="#006400">To</font> <font color="#a0522d">My</font> <font color="#4b0082">FPN</font> Profile!</font></b></font></font><br /></a>

I was thining the relative size of the Mya was smaller compared to the Extra, but I see from your pics they are more or less the same size, which puts in light the impressive difference of tne nibs.

But I wonder now... which one is more pricey? The Mya for the silver cap or the Extra for the extra nib surface + piston filler mechanism? I ca't tell from those parameters! Is the bigger nib giving more flexibility?

Miya Argento is about 25% cheaper than Extra 1930. Miya is about 40% cheaper. The Miya is actually wider at the centre than the Extra but the Extra is a slightly bigger pen - just slightly.

The bigger nib doesn't necessarily give more flexibility, as with the Miyas, each nib is different. My Bamboo Black Extra with fine nib is flexier than the Turtle Brown medium but both can't compare to the Miya Argento. The bigger nib does feel more comfortable though but it may be a psychological thing. The celluloid on the Extra 1930 though is superb, the colours are just so brilliantly integrated.

In rotation:

I was thining the relative size of the Mya was smaller compared to the Extra, but I see from your pics they are more or less the same size, which puts in light the impressive difference of tne nibs. But I wonder now... which one is more pricey? The Mya for the silver cap or the Extra for the extra nib surface + piston filler mechanism? I ca't tell from those parameters! Is the bigger nib giving more flexibility?

Miya Argento is about 25% cheaper than Extra 1930. Miya is about 40% cheaper. The Miya is actually wider at the centre than the Extra but the Extra is a slightly bigger pen - just slightly.

The bigger nib doesn't necessarily give more flexibility, as with the Miyas, each nib is different. My Bamboo Black Extra with fine nib is flexier than the Turtle Brown medium but both can't compare to the Miya Argento. The bigger nib does feel more comfortable though but it may be a psychological thing. The celluloid on the Extra 1930 though is superb, the colours are just so brilliantly integrated.

Thanks. Silver is so cheap these days... :huh:

Ciao,

Andre