REVIEW: Nakaya Decapod

QM2

http://queenmargot.com/nakayad6.jpg

Nakaya Decapod Heki-Tamenuri Clipless

with single-tone stub by John Mottishaw

The Heki-Tamenuri Decapod is my favourite Japanese pen, and one of my best writers. It is my

second Nakaya pen. I also own a clipless Piccolo model in Kuro-Tamenuri, with a two-tone Super-

Extra-Fine elastic nib and personalization in silver maki-e. The two pens are seen together below.

http://queenmargot.com/nakayapd5.jpg

Initially, my second Nakaya was going to be another Piccolo, with a Housoge design in the Chinkin

technique. But in the end, I decided to try out a different model instead, and ordered the Decapod

in plain two-tone urushi. I placed the order with John Mottishaw, which was a great experience. I

recommend for non-Japanese speakers to go this route, rather than to order from Nakaya directly.

One reason for this is the simple issue of communication; the other reason is nib preference

specification, on which I will elaborate further in the "Nib" portion of the review.

http://queenmargot.com/nakayad1.jpg

Presentation and Packaging

By now there have been many photos of the beautifully designed plain wooden box in which Nakaya

pens arrive, as well as of the "Pen Kimono" in which the pen is housed. My first impressions of the

Pen Kimono when I received my first Nakaya last year, was that it was a marketing gimmick --

anthropomorphising the pen to add to its cult appeal. But now I admit that this padded cloth pouch

is a very handy carrying case. The kimonos are more appropriate for the Nakayas than the structured

leather pen cases in which I carry my other pens, especially since my Nakayas are clipless. After

untying the elastic wrap-belt, I slide the pen upwards inside the kimono until the cap peaks out; then

I extract it. This is infinitely more convenient that trying to fish it out from a slotted pen case.

http://queenmargot.com/nakayad2.jpg

Appearance and Design

The distinguishing feature of the Decapod is its elongated body with 10 facets. The form is elegant and

resembles a 1920's ladies' cigarette holder. The tapering is more pronounced on the bottom than it is

on the top. The ends of the pen are flat.

Like the other Nakaya pens in the urushi & maki-e series, the Decapod is hand-made to order. It is made

out of ebonite, then covered with layers of lacquer using the traditional Japanese Urushi technique, to

achieve the captivating, translucent look of the two-tone finish. The Heki-Tamenuri finish is a green-

brown. The green is not a standard green, but a soft blue-green that I find particularly appealing. It is

most visible on the threads connecting cap and barrel, and on the edges of the pen's facets. For this

reason, the Decapod is probably the best model if you want to get the most colour variation out of a

two-tone finish. With age, the top coat of brown in the Heki-Tamenuri is supposed to become increasingly

translucent, revealing more and more of the green. However, with my Kuro-Tamenuri (red-black) Piccolo,

this has not happened yet, and the only places I see the red are the pen's edges. So I am pleased that

the faceted design of the Decapod allows me to see more of the underlying green colour right away.

http://queenmargot.com/nakayad4.jpg

Size, Weight, Balance, and Comfort

The Decapod is 5 7/8" capped and weighs 18.5g uninked. The cap posts with no adverse effects,

but it is suggested that one wait a couple of months for the urushi finish to go through its final

setting stage before posting on a regular basis.

I see now that the Decapod model is the best pen for me from the Nakaya line-up in terms of size,

weight, balance and comfort. When I held it and wrote with it for the first time, I grew almost giddy

with delight. I have long, narrow hands, and the Piccolo model is a bit too short for comfort, unless

I post it. The Decapod feels just perfect, both posted and unposted.

Also, the faceted edges are much more comfortable for me to hold than the rounded body of the

Piccolo, which I find a bit slippery in the hand.

Filling System

The pen uses a proprietary Platinum Cartridge/Converter filling system, and this is the only option

available. A converter is included with the pen purchase, but you must pay extra if you want the

famed goldfish maki-e converter.

http://queenmargot.com/nakayapd4.jpg

Nib

I am extremely pleased with the choice of nib I made for this pen. I ordered a stiff single-tone

yellow-gold nib. It started out as a BB, but John Mottishaw reground it to a .55mm stub italic.

I cannot express how wonderfully this stub writes. My instructions to John were: to maximise

line variation as much as possible while retaining the stub's super-smoothness, and, to adjust

flow so that it is exactly in the middle -- not too wet and not too dry. And that is exactly how

this nib writes. Amazing, and just perfect for my handwriting!

For my Piccolo, ordered directly from Nakaya, I had chosen a very different nib: the Super

Extra Fine Elastic. This was a mistake on several levels. The elastic nib looks sexy with its cut-out

sides, but it is simply not for everyone. In retrospect, I wish that I had ordered the regular stiff

nib. Another issue, is that the Super Extra Fine size is not for everyone either! I write with very

fine nibs, and so when ordering, I was thinking "the finer the better". Now I know that my comfort

zone for round nibs is about .27-.32mm. The Nakaya SEF nib is .18-.24mm, so I should have

ordered one step wider. But the biggest issues with my first pen were flow and smoothness. In

Nakaya's order form, I specified that I prefer a very smooth nib with medium flow. But the nib on

my pen had some feedback and very dry flow, which only exacerbated its being too fine of a writer.

However, this story has a happy ending: I took my first Nakaya to the NY/NJ show last month and

brought it to John Mottishaw's table, who increased the flow and smoothed the nib a bit, to

compensate for the problems I was having. Now it is a perfect writer. The elastic nib no longer bothers

me, and provides an interesting contrast to the stiff stub on my new Decapod.

These two experiences with my new pen vs my previous purchase, and John Mottishaw's role in them,

have brought me to the conclusion that: Mottishaw + Nakaya Nibs = Good Things. I highly

recommend purchasing your Nakaya from him.

http://queenmargot.com/nakayad3.jpg

Value

At $540 as the base price for two-tone Urushi, the Decapod is the costliest model of the series. If you

like the shape, feel, look, and comfort of the pen as much as I do, then this is justified. If not, then

you will probably opt to go with a different model.

Conclusions

The Heki-Tamenuri Decapod has infused me with a degree of enthusiasm about Nakaya that I did not

get from my first purchase of the Piccolo. To me, this demonstrates the importance of discovering

which model is right for you, as well as ordering from a seller who is certain to understand your

preferences -- especially when it comes to the nib. Discovery can take some time, but finding an

Urushi pen that is 100% right for you is exhilarating.

The photographs in this review were taken using a book of old postcards as background. For more of

these, see this thread: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/in...showtopic=80479

Hope this was useful,

QM2

Edited by QM2

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• QM2

• FrankB

• goodguy

• Doug C

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice report, and thanks for sharing. I agree with your formula Mottishaw + Nakaya Nibs = Good Things . as I have both experiences, two pens from other dealer that I had to tune myself (hours of meticulous work) and John's which came perfect out of the box. Somewhere else I made the same commentary... an untuned nib will ruin your otherwise beautiful Nakaya, sure!

Edited by Jopen
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3448/3377063898_1eaf38aeda_o.jpg

The Danitrio Fellowship

Many thanks for the nice review and fantastic images!

This is my dream Nakaya (well. my affordable dream Nakaya...) which I plan to purchase one day.

Still I have not decided whether to get one with a clip or not, which nib size (definitely single tone gold) and where to buy (Nakaya. pensinasia or Mottishaw; all will involve custom fees to Germany but I guess I cannot hope for a European distributor).

After reading your review I'm tending towards getting one from John as well as getting a stiff nib (EF or medium stub).

Cheers

Michael

Beautiful pictures!! The postcard backdrops are so elegant!!

Congrats on your heki-tamenuri decapod -- I have the Piccolo in this color and find it to be lovely -- like you, I love the particular shade of green used.

And thanks for the comments on nibs -- I think you're correct about using John Mottishaw's services. I might be wrong, but it seems to be the best way to get a smooth stub nib on a Nakaya (that is, with his custom grinding) -- the Nakaya site seems to warn people away from their italic/stub nibs. Anyway, it's a lot easier to communicate with John about nib preferences (I ordered from Nakaya when I got mine).

Great review! Thanks! HP

The sky IS falling. C. Little

Both the pens are beautiful, but IMHO the Decapod looks a shade more attractive than the Piccolo. I wonder how they create the facets? Does the pen come in ED version too? I am also curious to know if the facets on the cap and barrel always line up?

Thanks for reviewing this beauty.

Hari

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Nearly speechless. Thanks so much for a helpful, interesting, and entertaining review. Your placement of the pen on the postcards was thoughtful and pleasing. Your pen is outstanding; I have just reevaluated my long-held "next pen" objective. Everything about the Decapod you now have sounds ideal. You mentioned the Piccolo nib; when you write "elastic," do you mean that the nib is flexible or springy?

JN

Your review photography...

http://wwwimage.cbsnews.com/CBS_Production_News/588/333/lipton_480x360.jpg

is a DELIGHT! :D

The decapod does indeed bring out a lot of the two-tone shading. Really beautiful. :)

[MYU's Pen Review Corner] | "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

The Japanese pen-buyers want fine nibs and these are what all Japanese pen makers do best.

Japanese pen users are not looking for a substitute for a brush - they want to write the small intricate J. characters. And most J.people that I know (and I know many) have small handwriting.

Some - maybe many - Japanese pen makers have their larger size nibs made abroad (Bock?)

Nakaya pens are a luxury - mine also came from Mottishaw - and its good to have a truly J. writing instrument with a typical J nib size.

Solitaire

I also have a Decapod from Mottishaw, and a Piccolo directly from Nakaya.

I love both, but the fine nib on the Piccolo is much scratchier (is that a word?) than the medium on the Decapod.

In both cases, these are pens that will not be sold, but will be passed on to my children.

the Danitrio Fellowship

Thank you for another very high quality review.

I find very helpful the issues you had with the nibs and how you resolved them. That kind of narrative is part of reviewing, too, and frequently such issues do not get stated. I am very curious to see samples of the writing from these two very different nibs. Is there any chance of a sample? I think the stub nib on the Decapod might be just what I want.

I think both pens are lovely. They are a far cry from the made-up LE's of Western pen makers, in both quality and style.

My Nakaya is one of the light briar pens that is about the size of a Platinum 3776. Before choosing another model, I think I am going to have to go to a show where John has some pens to hold so I can see how they fit in my hand. I can read size statistics until I go crosseyed and I still have little idea of the size of a pen. Your reviews keep my enthusiasm at a high.

Congrats on the pen. I hope you continue to love it.

Edited by FrankB

QM2,thank you for this interesting review.

I saw the exact same pen at the Toronto Pen Show 2 weeks ago.I was trying my best to like this pen.

To me the pen looked and felt almost cheap,It looked to me like some cheap Chinese knockoff pen.I gave it a true attempt to like it but the nib was way too smooth for me with almost no feedback and even though I like wet nibs it was simply a hose.

It also is disapointing me that such an expensive pen uses C/C filler.

I guess I am still not ready for Japanese pens as many of the Japanese pens I tried had the same super smooth but no feedback feeling.If I would have fallen in love with the nib (as I did with the pen I did buy at the show the Faber Castel E-motion) then I would probably cough up the money and buy the pen.

Respect to all

Both the pens are beautiful, but IMHO the Decapod looks a shade more attractive than the Piccolo. I wonder how they create the facets? Does the pen come in ED version too? I am also curious to know if the facets on the cap and barrel always line up?

Hi Hari,

The colour variation on the Piccolo is more difficult to capture on photographs, because there is so much subtlety in its curvature. The Decapod is a more geometric, less delicate design. The hard edges where the facets meet allow the colour variation to stand out more. I think that which is more attractive really depends on an individual person's tastes. To me, they are both attractive in different ways, but the Decapod is more comfortable.

There is no ED version of the pen as far as I know. As I understand it, Nakaya pens cannot be converted to ED because of the metal inner threads. (If I am wrong about this, someone please correct me.)

Getting the cap and barrel to line up is possible, and I think it is a bit different with every pen. On my pen, this can be accomplished if you begin by aligning the facets on the cap, so that they match the facet directly on top of the nib. At first it took some concentration to do this every time I closed the cap, but soon it became automatic.

I saw the exact same pen at the Toronto Pen Show 2 weeks ago.I was trying my best to like this pen.

To me the pen looked and felt almost cheap,It looked to me like some cheap Chinese knockoff pen.I gave it a true attempt to like it but the nib was way too smooth for me with almost no feedback and even though I like wet nibs it was simply a hose.

It also is disapointing me that such an expensive pen uses C/C filler.

I guess I am still not ready for Japanese pens as many of the Japanese pens I tried had the same super smooth but no feedback feeling.If I would have fallen in love with the nib (as I did with the pen I did buy at the show the Faber Castel E-motion) then I would probably cough up the money and buy the pen.

Wow! Your impression of both the pen and the nib is surprising. I can speculate that the "cheap" feeling may have formed from the pens not being heavy enough; as I recall you like heavy pens? And the CC filling system is the one common complaint people have voiced. But the nib being too smooth is puzzling -- if anything, people tend to complain about the opposite.

You should definitely not try to push yourself if you do not like Japanese pens; maybe they are simply not for you. Or, one option may be Danitrio! With its Japanese construction and artwork, but western proportions and nibs, you may find them ideal.

Edited by QM2

You mentioned the Piccolo nib; when you write "elastic," do you mean that the nib is flexible or springy?

Nakaya's elastic nib is a semi-flexible nib. Its most distinguishing feature is the construction:

The flex is achieved by cutting out semi-circles from each side of the nib.

Nakaya has pictures and a description of this process on their website, take a look!

http://www.nakaya.org/elastic_nib_1.jpg

I am very curious to see samples of the writing from these two very different nibs. Is there any chance of a sample? I think the stub nib on the Decapod might be just what I want.

Before choosing another model, I think I am going to have to go to a show where John has some pens to hold so I can see how they fit in my hand. I can read size statistics until I go crosseyed and I still have little idea of the size of a pen. Your reviews keep my enthusiasm at a high.

Hi Frank,

I will try to post samples over the next couple of days. I've even bought two inks from Bromfield's specifically in honour of these pens' colour schemes: Noodler's Nightshade for the Piccolo and Army Green for the Decapod.

I agree completely that it is difficult to get an idea of these pens strictly from the available lists of specs. I am a very visual/tactile person and to me such information remains very abstract. For instance, I had a very different idea of what the Ishime Kanshitsu stone finish felt like, until I handled these pens myself at John Mottishaw's table at the NY/NJ pen show. I must say though, that some of the closeup images in reviews posted by FPN members provide a very good simulation of what these pens are actually like -- better than stock images from sellers' websites.

I also have a Decapod from Mottishaw, and a Piccolo directly from Nakaya.

I love both, but the fine nib on the Piccolo is much scratchier (is that a word?) than the medium on the Decapod.

Doug, I have read/heard the same "too much feedback" comments about Nakaya nibs from a number of people, which makes me wonder whether notions of the ideal writing experience are subjective. Kanji characters require extra fine nibs and a lot of control. Super smooth nibs are more difficult to control (because there is less friction, they tend to slip and slide). Therefore, a nib with some feedback may be preferred by Japanese customers. No idea whether there is any truth to this theory, but just a thought.

Edited by QM2

You should definitely not try to push yourself if you do not like Japanese pens; maybe they are simply not for you. Or, one option may be Danitrio! With its Japanese construction and artwork, but western proportions and nibs, you may find them ideal.

I really want for atleast 1 Japanese pen in collection.I am keeping an open mind in regards to all Japanese pens and I am sure I will find one sooner or later that I like.I had a VP in the past and the one thing I actualy liked about the pen was the nib.

I also find my taste change in time so I might simply need to "cook" myself a wee longer and then I will learn to appreciate a good Japanese nib.

I must admit I have a bit of a problem to pay 500$ for a pen with a C/C filler but if I really like it then it will not be something that will prevent me from buying and loving it.

Respect to all

I really want for atleast 1 Japanese pen in collection.I am keeping an open mind in regards to all Japanese pens and I am sure I will find one sooner or later that I like.I had a VP in the past and the one thing I actualy liked about the pen was the nib.

I also find my taste change in time so I might simply need to "cook" myself a wee longer and then I will learn to appreciate a good Japanese nib.

I must admit I have a bit of a problem to pay 500$ for a pen with a C/C filler but if I really like it then it will not be something that will prevent me from buying and loving it.

3 words:

Danitrio

Mikado

Eyedropper

Have you tried that yet?

3 words:

Danitrio

Mikado

Eyedropper

Have you tried that yet?

Nope but I sure will try one when I will get the chance.

I love ED pens.

Respect to all

[

Doug, I have read/heard the same "too much feedback" comments about Nakaya nibs from a number of people, which makes me wonder whether notions of the ideal writing experience are subjective. Kanji characters require extra fine nibs and a lot of control. Super smooth nibs are more difficult to control (because there is less friction, they tend to slip and slide). Therefore, a nib with some feedback may be preferred by Japanese customers. No idea whether there is any truth to this theory, but just a thought.

In the case of my Piccolo, it is a little more than feedback. My preference is to have some, but this nib is much rougher than any of my other Japanese fines (my VP's, My Pilot Customer 74). I still do like it, but I tent to use it more for detailed note taking. I plan to have it smoothed out in the future. The Decapod is a very smooth nib.

Goodguy, I agree that you might find a Danitrio to your liking. I have a Mikado, and it one of my favorite pens. They feel much less delicate than Nakaya's which might be what you are associating with quality. The only issue might be if you like fine nibs there might be a problem. I have a fine, and it is a wonderful nib, but just a little wider than I would like.

I had a Densho with an extra fine flexible for a while (I don't believe they offer Mikado's with x-fines), and it was a wonderful nib. There is another one on my shopping list.

Edited by Doug C

the Danitrio Fellowship

http://queenmargot.com/nakaya_nibs1.jpg

I have now scanned my attempt at writing samples. The Decapod that was reviewed here is in the green ink; the Piccolo

included for comparison is in the plum ink. To my eye, the line variation from the stub nib on the Decapod is much more

visible than the line variation on the Piccolo's elastic nib.

http://queenmargot.com/nakaya_nibs3.jpg

Some panagrams for a letter-to letter comparison...

http://queenmargot.com/nakaya_nibs2.jpg

And here is a close-up of the line variation:

http://queenmargot.com/nakaya_nibs4.jpg

I have posted a more detailed sample of the Piccolo's elastic nib on a separate thread here:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/in...showtopic=80879

Edited by QM2