Montblanc_When they Made Writing instrument

FP Writing

Hi folks

a short review of the MB 342. It seem that during those days the MB company made pens made for quality writing. Now is a lot of "show". So hope you would like this review on the 342.

Please click on link and picture in blog for large view

http://myreviewedbooks.blogspot.com/2008/1...342-review.html

Writing sample link is at end of this post

Thanks

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_aI7xyj3f0l4/SPlJRdVGaBI/AAAAAAAACPc/K9D8ILxkOXo/s320/342_uncapped.JPG

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_aI7xyj3f0l4/SPGS8ae7JcI/AAAAAAAACPE/iluVK0h6l9Y/s320/342.JPG

writing sample:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_aI7xyj3f0l4/SPGSZ45Q7NI/AAAAAAAACO8/1anhcQUNKso/s320/342%20review.JPG

Edited by MYU

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RevAaron

• goodguy

• piembi

• henrico

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi folks

a short review of the MB 342. It seem that during those days the MB company made pens made for quality writing. Now is a lot of "show". So hope you would like this review on the 342.

Thanks

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_aI7xyj3f0l4/SPlJRdVGaBI/AAAAAAAACPc/K9D8ILxkOXo/s320/342_uncapped.JPG

writing sample

Nice review on your 342!

John

Irony is not lost on INFJ's--in fact,they revel in it.

• 3 weeks later...

I love my 344 and its OM 14k nib. A good size, nothing fancy appearances-wise- but that nib is better than anything else I've used, stock or customized. It goes beyond just being smooth, between the metal alloy and the grind used the nib is just so close to *perfect*. It might sound like hyperbole, but I don't think there are any other nibs about which I could say the same. Not much flex, but it doesn't matter all that much- there's a fair bit of line variation, inherent to a (proper) oblique.

WTB: Lamy 27 w/ OB/OBB nibs; Pelikan 100 B nib

It seem that during those days the MB company made pens made for quality writing. Now is a lot of "show". So hope you would like this review on the 342.

Not sure what you mean by a lot of "show".

I think MB is making fabolous pens today.Some LE pens are indeed flashy but their regular models are wonderful writers with very little to no bling to then at all!!!

But in any case all the new pens MB makes today and I tried are very good to amazing writers.

Edited by goodguy

Respect to all

Hi,

Thank you for the review!

Perhaps someone who owns a 342 would take a moment to answer a question. I've seen several references to the 342 as a "small" or "very small" pen, but I can't seem to find the actual dimensions. Just how small is "small" - in terms of capped length and barrel width?

Cheers,

Jon

Hi Jon

the 342 is very close to the length of Pelikan M200

the barrel diameter is about 10mm a little thinner than the M200 which i estimate is abut 11mm

Not really a "very" small pen, but a full size pen

regards

I'd be careful calling it a "full size" pen- some folks associate that with a MB 146 or Omas Paragon, some folks with a 51, M200, Snorkel, etc. I'd consider the following to be standard sized pens: 51, std Vac, vintage MB 144/244/344. The 342 is smaller than an M200, with the section diameter being 9mm, but larger than a Pelikan M150. I wouldn't quite call it a small pen, let alone a "very" small pen- but a smaller pen.

A nice pen, though! I've one I keep meaning to put up for sale, that's without a clip and derby, and with a flexy and sharp italic nib. I don't get along with such nibs, and have a 344 to sate me otherwise. :)

Aaron

It seem that during those days the MB company made pens made for quality writing. Now is a lot of "show". So hope you would like this review on the 342.

I think MB is making fabolous pens today.Some LE pens are indeed flashy but their regular models are wonderful writers with very little to no bling to then at all!!!

But in any case all the new pens MB makes today and I tried are very good to amazing writers.

I think he means ( and I'd be happy to be corrected) that the pen was made to write with foremost while at present MB and pretty much most other pen manufacturers make pens as luxury items.

Hi,

Thanks for the information! It sounds like the pen is on the smaller end of the range for "full-size" pens - maybe in the Esterbrook "J" neighborhood.

It's probably wise, though, to remind interested parties that a term like "full-size" typically means something very different today than it might have meant, say, 40 or 50 years ago.

Cheers,

Jon

I think he means ( and I'd be happy to be corrected) that the pen was made to write with foremost while at present MB and pretty much most other pen manufacturers make pens as luxury items.

Well I guees if you put it this way most (if not all) pen makers do put more emphasis on the look today and current pens are more interesting (some might say blingy) in comparison with pens made 30+ years ago.

One thing need to be said is that even if a pen is flashy/blingy/pretty/more interesting looking it doesnt mean it isnt just as good of a writer as a vintage pen.

Look is one thing and performance is another.

Thank you for your reply Kurt.

Edited by goodguy

Respect to all

I think your use of the word emphasis (emphasis mine [sorry, horrible joke]) is spot on. The difference is that back then, they top-tier makers started with the idea of a pen that would be good technically and then made to look nice, rather than drilling a whole for a ballpoint refill into a piece of machine-made blingage.

It's probably personal taste, but many purty vintage pens surpass just about anything made today. Give me a Doric, Nozac, Vacuumatic, almost any celluloid Italian pen, etc- the list goes on. I find them much more visually interesting and appealing than some sort of frankenstein LE made of shimmering Lisa Frank stickers and glued-on sterling silver. Same goes for plainer pens- vintage celluloid MBs are amongst my favorites, visually and performance-wise.

To each his own, though- I understand I might be in the minority, and obviously not in the target market. :P

Well I guees if you put it this way most (if not all) pen makers do put more emphasis on the look today and current pens are more interesting (some might say blingy) in comparison with pens made 30+ years ago.

One thing need to be said is that even if a pen is flashy/blingy/pretty/more interesting looking it doesnt mean it isnt just as good of a writer as a vintage pen.

Look is one thing and performance is another.

Thank you for your reply Kurt.

I have always found Montblancs to be more of status symbol than a real pen. Coupled with a high price and the fact that precious resin is prone to cracking, makes me feel MBs aren't the pens for me. I would not mind acquiring a nice vintage MB, but modern production Montblancs just aren't worth it IMO.

It seems to be that all of the greatest American penmakers of the 20h century are also turning out (Potty Mouth) these days, so it isn't just Montblanc.

Personally, my problem with Montblanc isn't even their pens so much as the fact that they're now a yuppie status symbol, and that alone has lessened my interest in the brand - I'm a fairly unassuming guy and I like it that way. I feel kind of bad about that as they do make some beautiful pens that, by most indications, perform nicely too. I could see owning one, but I'd probably always feel self-conscious about it.

I do really like some of their more exotic LEs, like the Kafka, and I have a feeling that pen in particular would be a bit too "weird" to be quite the same status-symbol-wise. Alas, my bank account isn't compatible with owning one at this time. ;)

Edited by Silvermink

http://twitter.com/pawcelot

Vancouver Pen Club

Currently inked:

Montegrappa NeroUno Linea - J. Herbin Poussière de Lune //. Aurora Optima Demonstrator - Aurora Black // Varuna Rajan - Kaweco Green // TWSBI Vac 700R - Visconti Purple

• 1 month later...

From all Montblanc pens I have owned or tried my vintage 342 is by far the best writer.

I have one with an OB nib and another one with a M nib. I really love those pens.

The design is not very exciting and does not sream "look at me".

This pen is for writing!

I agree! In a lot of ways, I prefer the 34x to the 14x - the nib is still sweet, the star is less obvious, and the pen is much lighter. As much as I love the celluloid 14xs, the 34x make for better daily carries. I usually don't like heavy pens, but love the balance of celluloid 14xs- but the weight is annoying to have clipped to your shirt. Not so with the 34xs.

Anywho, I'm always happy when I see vintage pen reviews.

From all Montblanc pens I have owned or tried my vintage 342 is by far the best writer.

I have one with an OB nib and another one with a M nib. I really love those pens.

The design is not very exciting and does not sream "look at me".

This pen is for writing!

Try the 146 or 246, far better made pens that are meant for use, and write superbly, that are visually highly appealing as well especially in the striated colours.

Hi folks

Thanks

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_aI7xyj3f0l4/SPGS8ae7JcI/AAAAAAAACPE/iluVK0h6l9Y/s320/342.JPG

writing sample:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_aI7xyj3f0l4/SPGSZ45Q7NI/AAAAAAAACO8/1anhcQUNKso/s320/342%20review.JPG

What you are saying is quite provocative. Many people still buy Montblanc pens because they like them as writing instruments, not because of 'show'.

What you are saying is quite provocative. Many people still buy Montblanc pens because they like them as writing instruments, not because of 'show'.

Whole heartly agree :thumbup:

Respect to all