Noodler's Cayenne

chupie

I also really like this color. It is not super orange, but has a tiny bit of brown tint to it. It just has more pizazz than a straight orange or red would have. I wanted to use it in a cartridge pen. That's a bit of a messy operation, but I will use it up doing that. Dries darker than when wet which I was very happy about. Shades nicely.

post-35-1140573059_thumb.jpg

Pearl's Blog: A Journey in Patience: Feline DIabetes

Feline Diabetes is a treatable condition.

<a href="http://www.felinediabetes.com" target="_blank">http://www.felinediabetes.com</a>

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• chupie

• Melnicki

• J. John Harvey

• BobR

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Why so messy? find a friendly scientist, or nurse, or drug addict (j/k) to get you some syringes....

although I noticed using a syringe wastes a little bit of the ink that gets trapped in the syringe (flush with water before using it again!! recap it to be safe! -- i'm terrified of sharp pointy objects like that)... I started using a micropipet with plastic tips, but that's probably only available to people that work in labs.

I'm sure some people on here have better advice on tricks to cleanly refill cartridges... there are glass eyedroppers that come with thinner nozzles. No, the syringe really is easy. Should not be hard to find... Are they even purchasable over-the-counter? I would hope not, we'd have a lot less junkies.

Cheers.

(edit: I now use an insulin syringe. Hardly wastes any ink, cleans out in one flush with water, and the diameter is similar to that of most cartridges, so you can estimate volume well. downside is that the needle is very short. Bad for near-empty Noodler's bottles!!)

Edited by Melnicki

Click for Ink Scans!!

WTB: (Blemished OK)

CdA Dunas // Stipulas! (esp w/ Titanio nib) // Edison Pearl

... I would hope not, we'd have a lot less junkies. ...

:) Not really, as the number of junkies is not defined by the number of syringes. If they don't have enough syringes for everyone, they share them -> more AIDS victims are the result, not less junkies.

:(

From what I can tell, definitely more orangey. I have not seen Antietem in person, so I can't say more than that.

Anyone know where you can get syringes like that? I used a force feeder syringe from my vets. The tip is about the same as the opening on the cartridge, so it did go OK until I tried getting more in. It's just not ideal, and I will definitely need to fill cartridges at times.

Glad everyone enjoyed! I find I need to see more than just the samples at sellers sites to get a good feel if I want to get a color or not so I think it is handy. Do wish I had a scanner rather than photos.

<a href="http://www.felinediabetes.com" target="_blank">http://www.felinediabetes.com</a>

Thanks for another look at a great ink. Heard a lot of good stuff about this one and I believe I have it's Swishers quick drying cousing, Apricot Orange. GREAT SHADING!!

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

Definitely, Chupie,

it is so much better to see samples, especially when people show the variation with pens... I thought for a moment that there should be a discussion board devoted just to Noodler's inks (because I love them so much), but then I found this board... And of course, because I'm biased, this should go for all the other inkmakers too... It's so hard to decide!!! What would be fantastic is a gallery with all the pics posted here. I've been rightclicking all the pictures I see, and it's really helpful to go back and look at them again (especially the ones where people write the review in the ink and then scan it!

What might be nice, with the camera, is to take a few pictures with different lighting or different camera settings, so we can interpret the real situation (since you really are making assumptions by judging colors from a computer monitor, especially since most of us are using LCD screens, which have TERRIBLE color fidelity. Just move your head up and down three inches!

When I get all my pens I've ordered (maybe in a week or two?) I'll do some samples myself...

I hadn't thought about that, the needle sharing. It's really sad. Actually all drug addicts are sad. I feel so helpless when I think about what little we can really do for them.

Syringes: drop by a clinic, hospital, university (anywhere there's a lab)... but really, you might find them for sale at a drugstore (or even ask a pharmacist -- who knows?!! but you only need one. Anybody live near Chupie? This is why I love living near a city -- you can just post somewhere like Craigslist and people will rush in to help you... If you're stuck, I suppose I could mail you a couple implements.

Cheers!

MM.

Click for Ink Scans!!

I've tried the filling cartridges with ink. Extremely messy! and I didn't have the luxury of a thin needled syringe - I used a wide syringe. I finally found a piston converter, because my mother used to work in the Lab of a hospital and had regular access to such useful things as syringes and strep tests...

Shading... I was thinking about this - shading is one of the only ways that one can tell that something was written with a fountain pen, no? I once received a letter from the director of admissions at the College of St. Scholastica and could tell that he signed it with a fountain pen because of the darkness where he lifted his pen. That made me feel happy -- an ACT score high enough to merit not just any letter, but a hand-signed one.

Your close-up is fine- good job; not blurry at all.

If you know ANYONE that works in healthcare, they can easily (and probably with little guilt) pilfer you one. If you go to a regular doctor, drop in and ask... I'm sure they will think it is really interesting and will enliven their mundane workday experience...

Click for Ink Scans!!

some people on here have better advice on tricks to cleanly refill cartridges... there are glass eyedroppers that come with thinner nozzles. No, the syringe really is easy. Should not be hard to find... Are they even purchasable over-the-counter? I would hope not, we'd have a lot less junkies.

Cheers.

availability of syringes + needles is dependent on the state you live in. Some states require a "proof of need" document.

In Texas (and most highly agricultural states like it) they are readily available through veterinary supply companies. I order from Drs. Foster and Smith (on-line)

I prefer the micropipet method these days though and these are also readily available on-line. Rather hard to come by in quantities less than 1000 but I have found one source that will sell 100 at a time. Anyone interested in buying these can look at MicroMole - this is a small company geared toward selling smaller quantities to teachers. I personally get P-233 because the very fine tip fits so easily and comfortably into a cartridge. This same tip also fits precisely in the hole at the base of a Pelikan feed and can be used to force a good flush of water through the feed better than an ear syringe. Since I use mostly Pels, you can see how this would matter to me. :)

http://mutiny.cbvcp.com/micromole/cat_pipe.htm

I also recommend them in terms of service - very helpful folks who care about their clientele.

kcat (not affiliated with the above except as customer blah blah blah.)

KCat
Save animal lives - support your local animal shelter

My personal blog https://kcdockalscribbling.com

My nature blog https://kcbeachscribbles.com
Venerable are letters, infinitely brave, forlorn, and lost. V. Woolf, Jacob's Room

I just purchased a couple of refill kits from Charlie Draper. They're $5 each, put together exactly for the purpose, and come with both metal and plastic tips.

You can get more details from Charlie at cwdra@insightbb.com

Ray

PS what KCat said about non-affiliation.

If you decide to go with a syringe get a large, thick needle and simply grind down the point till it is blunt. This is safer to use and the thickness along with the length will make it easer to see and use. If you don't have a grindstone, use the sidewalk for the main work and finish up with a bit of fine sandpaper on glass or the bottom of a iron skillet.

Of course a sharp needle will be great for using with cartridges.

What I believe to be the safest method would be to lay the cartridge on its' side, do the same with a small barrel syringe and slide it up to the end of the cartridge and penetrate when you're sure everything is lined up correctly.

This method is a lot less 'iffy' than trying to play doctor and hold both the ink cartage and needle upright and bring them together.

By-the-way, I enjoyed the review and will give that Cayenne a try somewhere down the road. I'm just starting off collecting and I already have almost two dozen Esterbrooks, not to mention Hero, etc. So far the only bottled ink I've found locally has been a Mont Blanc black.

Cheers,

Eli

I actually have a syringe but I can't find it.

I remembered that we had it when I was trying to think of ways to fill cartridges. Lo and behold, I remember the Print-Cartridge re-fill kit - it came with a sort of bluntish syringe to refill printer cartridges.

• 1 month later...
So far the only bottled ink I've found locally has been a Mont Blanc black.

You do have some ink other than Mont Blanc black, don't you?

(Cause if you don't, you don't know what you're missing - MB black is, umm, not one of the best.) :)

Edited by *david*

• 4 years later...

I want to see what this "Triwizard Goblet of Fire" pen looks like!

Me too!

We can trust the heart of a man by his treatment of animals. - Immanual Kant

• 7 months later...

Huh. Haven't been on in a while so missed the request.

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m267/chupie_2006/Dani27pen/all4.jpg?t=1303019350

It's the one to the far right. I've actually used it so much it's no longer so clear. Much of the Harry Potter on the clip has worn off. If I could find another, I'd get it. I really like this pen and it writes really well. I do have an extra set of the other three never inked that I bought because, well, because I found them and I guess since they are so hard to find, I figured I should, but honestly, I should really sell them as my others are still fine.