Pelikan M400 EF Tortoise & White -- 3x5 review

katfisch

Hope you're not getting sick of these 3x5 card reviews... If so, let me know, and I'll quit already.

This is one of my favorite pens because it writes so well. A very smooth fine wet line. Joon in NYC had this on closeout for $123.50 (list $265) and I'm glad I took advantage of that. It's a discontinued model, so good luck finding a price anywhere close to that... The cap had four very fine cracks (really tiny seams from the cuts made to allow the gold trim bands to slip on -- I think). Chartpak replaced the cap promptly, no hassle and it's perfect now.

The scanned 3x5 inch card will probably be a lot bigger on your monitor. The handwritten 3x5 card says "4x5" -- please cut me some slack on that...

post-20666-1221800564_thumb.jpg

post-20666-1221800594_thumb.jpg

post-20666-1221800614_thumb.jpg

post-20666-1221800621_thumb.jpg

post-20666-1221800668_thumb.jpg

post-20666-1221800636_thumb.jpg

Edited by katfisch

None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try.

- Mark Twain

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• diplomat

• teeritz

• katfisch

• Brian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hope you're not getting sick of these 3x5 card reviews... If so, let me know, and I'll quit already.

This is one of my favorite pens because it writes so well. A very smooth fine wet line. Joon in NYC had this on closeout for $123.50 (list $265) and I'm glad I took advantage of that. It's a discontinued model, so good luck finding a price anywhere close to that... The cap had four very fine cracks (really tiny seams from the cuts made to allow the gold trim bands to slip on -- I think). Chartpak replaced the cap promptly, no hassle and it's perfect now.

The scanned 3x5 inch card will probably be a lot bigger on your monitor. The handwritten 3x5 card says "4x5" -- please cut me some slack on that...

Absolutely like your reviews. What better way to see how the nib puts out than seeing it on a page. Photos are good too as they provide some nice details. Congratulations on a great price. I am thinking that as time goes on that these gems will only become more sought after.

I like these reviews a great deal. And now you've gone and reviewed the one pen above all that I've fallen in love with. I actually get warm, fuzzy feelings of desire when I see or think about this pen :blush:

It's like you're taunting me as I won't be able to afford one until next month :crybaby:

She will be mine, oh yes. She will be mine....

I like these reviews a great deal. And now you've gone and reviewed the one pen above all that I've fallen in love with. I actually get warm, fuzzy feelings of desire when I see or think about this pen :blush:

It's like you're taunting me as I won't be able to afford one until next month :crybaby:

She will be mine, oh yes. She will be mine....

I've been writing with mine all week and have garnered many comments from coworkers (and others) on the beauty of this pen.

Let us know when you get yours, and what price you come up with (always of interest).

None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try.

- Mark Twain

One more vote for these reviews!

I have this pen, purchased on April from Montgomerystationery at 119$! It is a broad, but I used only once with a fellow medium nib (swapped from an old M600).

Some people find it too feminine, but who cares! Well, to be honest, flashy, it's flashy...

Cheers,

<font face="Verdana"><b><font color="#2f4f4f">d</font></b><font color="#4b0082">iplo</font></font><br /><br /><a href='http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?showuser=6228' class='bbc_url' title=''><font face="Trebuchet MS"><br /><font size="4"><b><font color="#8b0000"><font color="#696969">Go</font> <font color="#006400">To</font> <font color="#a0522d">My</font> <font color="#4b0082">FPN</font> Profile!</font></b></font></font><br /></a>

Lovely pen! Mine has F nib, but I would like try some of superflex binderized/mottished/others nibs... maybe one day...

http://lh4.ggpht.com/tipstricks/RqmwZvdwYJI/AAAAAAAABNc/O8TRX3n-lE8/s400/Pelikan%20M400%20W-T%202.jpg

Edited by tipstricks
http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh20/tipstricks_photo/31032009052_cr.jpg - My albums

I've been using my one all day and I have to say that it's become one of my favorite pens. It's a little light to hold, for my liking anyway, but that's about the only bad thing I can say about it and anyone who owns one will surely have a different viewpoint. And the 'milk & honey' cap and barrel is truly unique. Some might say a little feminine, but I would argue "antique-looking". You know, a combination of ivory and oh, I dunno...bamboo or tiger's eye. At any rate, I've got a broad nib on it to help hide the defects in my handwriting.

I did see a picture in the Steinberg book on fountain pens an Aurora (I think) that was made during the Second World War for Italian officers stationed in Ethiopia. It had a cream colored cap and barrel with gold trimmings. A great looking pen. This one reminds me of those Auroras.

Classic, classic pen.

teeritz

I did see a picture in the Steinberg book on fountain pens an Aurora (I think) that was made during the Second World War for Italian officers stationed in Ethiopia. It had a cream colored cap and barrel with gold trimmings. A great looking pen. This one reminds me of those Auroras.

Classic, classic pen.

teeritz

Is it that one?

post-6228-1222863093_thumb.jpg

post-6228-1222863113_thumb.jpg

n.b. pics googled... contact me via PM if you want them removed.

In this case it is a 1935 Aurora, a very rare pen. Price on the market is around 3/4.000€ for an exemplar in good condition. Better to stick to the Pelikan!

Cheers,

<font face="Verdana"><b><font color="#2f4f4f">d</font></b><font color="#4b0082">iplo</font></font><br /><br /><a href='http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?showuser=6228' class='bbc_url' title=''><font face="Trebuchet MS"><br /><font size="4"><b><font color="#8b0000"><font color="#696969">Go</font> <font color="#006400">To</font> <font color="#a0522d">My</font> <font color="#4b0082">FPN</font> Profile!</font></b></font></font><br /></a>

I've been using my one all day and I have to say that it's become one of my favorite pens. It's a little light to hold, for my liking anyway, but that's about the only bad thing I can say about it and anyone who owns one will surely have a different viewpoint. And the 'milk & honey' cap and barrel is truly unique. Some might say a little feminine, but I would argue "antique-looking". You know, a combination of ivory and oh, I dunno...bamboo or tiger's eye. At any rate, I've got a broad nib on it to help hide the defects in my handwriting.

teeritz

teeritz: I also have this pen and my love for it increases with every use, even after the "honeymoon period" is over. I've tried to describe this pen to my dad without finding the exact words - until now. Your description is exactly my opinion..."milk & honey", "ivory and tiger's eye" and "antique-looking". I like the classic look and vibe of this smooth writing pen. Yea, mine is a medium nib.....I am working on my handwriting skills :wacko:

katfisch: Thank you for the review and keep the 3 X 5s coming :clap1:

Classic, classic pen.

teeritz

Is it that one?

post-6228-1222863093_thumb.jpg

post-6228-1222863113_thumb.jpg

n.b. pics googled... contact me via PM if you want them removed.

In this case it is a 1935 Aurora, a very rare pen. Price on the market is around 3/4.000€ for an exemplar in good condition. Better to stick to the Pelikan!

Cheers,

Yes, that's it!! It's funny how few pens are made in colors like that. Thanks for the pictures, Diplomat. :thumbup:

teeritz