Wearever Deluxe

lovemy51

I decided this time to make a small review of the Wearever Deluxe.

I don’t know much about the history of this pen, except what I read in the Penhero.com article about the Deluxe Mother of Pearl (different pen). If you, fellow FPNers would like to contribute to the review, I humbly ask you to do so.

Looks, size, weight 4/5

Aside from the pretty black and green stripes, one thing that attracts me to this pen is the condition of the gold fill trim. It is, I mean, really, really good!!! Considering what has been said about the wearing of the plating on these Wearever pens, this one is in great shape. The barrel imprint says: "Wearever Deluxe North Bergen New Jersey”. The imprint is not very strong, I had to use talcum to make it more visible. The clip reads: Wearever.

It measures about 5 1/8” capped and 6 3/8” posted. Very light pen and very comfortable to write with the cap posted. The pen does have a couple of flaws, but I listed them at the end, under “flaws” (obviously!!).

Filling system 4/5Lever filler. It came with a new sac installed. But, it does not take a lot of ink in the bladder. I haven’t taken it apart to see if the sac is too small or what have you… so for now, I’ll use it as is.

Nib 4/5NOT GOLD! Ok, that’s fine! It’s engraved “Special Alloy made in USA”. After a bit of tweaking I got it working very well. It’s a med point very smooth and wet with a little bit of flex.

Cost 4/5

Ebay buy. I wish it would have cost less, but at roughly $25 USD, including shipping charges… I guess I can live with it. I’ve grown fond of my 3rd tier Wearever pens (I also own a Pioneer and Pennant, not bad writes at all!!).

Flaws

The end cap does not align with the barrel (you’ll probably see it in the pics I’m posting). The cap band came loose and I secured it with a tiny bit of shellac (I hope I did ok????)

Conclusion

All in all, I’m happy with my pen. I already inked it up with Waterman Fla Blue and put in the rotation. Would I recommend you buy one of these. YES, if you can find it this clean… maybe you can get it for less money too!!!

So there it is. Hope you like my “not so great” pics. And don’t forget to comment and/or give me some more info on this pen.

Ciao, for now...

post-7078-1216796225_thumb.jpg

post-7078-1216796255_thumb.jpg

Edited by lovemy51

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lovemy51

• POE

• calliej

• FrankB

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks, Peter Paul, great review, honest but encouraging. Of the three pens in your pic the Wearever looks positively luxurious!

I also have a green version of this pen, albeit with button fill and can confirm your description of the handling. They are great value for money (now and, probably, then) the nib is perfectly good and smooth and I too recommend them.

I's appreciate a review of your Symphony, perhaps with comparative reference to your Skyline.

Thanks again,

Greg

Member of the No.1 Club

I've got one of these and agree its a nice writer - mine has a medium smooth nib and what I really like about this pen is that it is very light in the hand.

Thanks for the review - it's nice to know others appreciate theirs too.

So I'm opinionated - get over it!!.......No, really - get over it!!

Hmmmm I was going to put up a WANTS list - but that's too long as well ......

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

Thanks, Peter Paul, great review, honest but encouraging. Of the three pens in your pic the Wearever looks positively luxurious!

I also have a green version of this pen, albeit with button fill and can confirm your description of the handling. They are great value for money (now and, probably, then) the nib is perfectly good and smooth and I too recommend them.

I's appreciate a review of your Symphony, perhaps with comparative reference to your Skyline.

Thanks again,

Greg

hello greg,

i wanted a button filler myself. i would have given it a 5/5 then with that filling system.

the other two pens are also wearever: pennant (left) and pioneer (right).

about the symphony and skyline... i wouldn't dare!!. Richard Binder has profiles on both of these!

http://richardspens.com/?page=ref_info/symphony_profile.htm

http://richardspens.com/?page=ref_info/skyline_profile.htm

regards,

Edited by lovemy51

I've got one of these and agree its a nice writer - mine has a medium smooth nib and what I really like about this pen is that it is very light in the hand.

thanx calliej,

does your nib have a bit of flex too?

regards,

Hi,

Nice review, I have one of these, it's a nice pen that writes pretty well, the nib on mine is goldplated and writes smoothly with just a bit of feedback.

Mine is also a levefill and also doesn't hold a huge amount of ink, but that isn't huge problem as I like to rotate my pens, I think with most L/F pens, if you move the lever between 5/10 times leaving it a few seconds between each depresion you will get more ink in.

Enjoy your pen.

Andy

I have one of these in a red marbled celluloid. It's a good pen. I think that Wearever was really trying to make a decent pen for the money when it came to the Deluxe 100. Some of the celluloid they used is quite appealing.

I have a few Wearevers and love them all. I would have to say they have some of the most unique nib designs around for vintage.

Good review. Thanks.

Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent.

Isaac Asimov, Salvor Hardin in "Foundation"

US science fiction novelist & scholar (1920 - 1992)

There is probably no more terrible instant of enlightenment than the one in which you discover your father is a man--with human flesh.

Frank Herbert, Dune

US science fiction novelist (1920 - 1986)

My Pens on Flikr

I have a few Wearevers and love them all. I would have to say they have some of the most unique nib designs around for vintage.

Good review. Thanks.

thank u sir,

i'm still looking for the overlay nib and can't find it.

I have a brown Deluxe 100 and the nib was bad, so I replaced it with a Skyline nib - now it's a great looking pen with a great nib. I think of it as a Super Deluxe 100.

May we live, not by our fears but by our hopes; not by our words but by our deeds; not by our disappointments but by our dreams.

thanx calliej,

does your nib have a bit of flex too?

regards,

just a tad...not as much as I would hope... I am looking for a flexi nib at the moment....

So I'm opinionated - get over it!!.......No, really - get over it!!

Hmmmm I was going to put up a WANTS list - but that's too long as well ......

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

This is a good review, thanks.

I do not think $25 USD is at all bad for a good writing vintage pen. I also have several Wearevers, and all of them write very well. When I look at vintage pens, I feel that some tarnish on the furniture and a misaligned end cap are beauty marks. I think we have established that a nib does not have to be gold to write well, and apparently you got a pen with a good sac that came ready to write. If the size of the pen suits your hand, I would consider this pen a keeper. I think you did quite well.

Edited by FrankB

This is a good review, thanks.

I do not think $25 USD is at all bad for a good writing vintage pen. I also have several Wearevers, and all of them write very well. When I look at vintage pens, I feel that some tarnish on the furniture and a misaligned end cap are beauty marks. I think we have established that a nib does not have to be gold to write well, and apparently you got a pen with a good sac that came ready to write. If the size of the pen suits your hand, I would consider this pen a keeper. I think you did quite well.

thax frank,

about the end cap missalignment... it's not a vintage thing, i think it was done poorly at the factory. nevertheless, it does not take from me loving the pen and yes, it is a keeper!!!!

reagards,

I just looked at the 3 Wearever Pacemaker's I have and 2 of the end caps are slightly crooked. I understand their quality controls were a bit lax.

".....Then he showed those men of will what will really was."

-Verbal Kint-

The Usual Suspects