ST Dupont Orpheo/Olympio Sterling Silver

purpledog

Appearance and Finish 4.50/5.00

This pen measures 14.3 cm capped. The pen is in sterling silver with black stripes which I believe are lacquered. On the top of the cap, it is engraved in small prints “925 LAQUE DE CHINE” and with a left logo next to the prints. The detailing on the pen is perfect, every black lacquered strip is applied in perfection. The pen cap slides in snugly and caps with that distinctive snapping sound. Being of sterling silver, there are micro-scratches when viewed under bright fluorescent light and a few spots of dark tarnish, which, in my opinion, add to the pen’s character.

Design, Size, and Weight 4.50/5.00

My first impression was that the pen was a bit too ‘futuristic’ for my liking. It reminds me of some character in the Star Wars movies. To be honest, I have plans to sell it (I got it as a pair of Orpheos; the other the large black version with gold trim and section). After having it for a few days, I changed my mind. Maybe it has to do with my liking for sterling silver pens. I am alright with the size, though I wish it could be larger in terms of length and diameter. The weight is heavier than a Legacy. But I am a sucker for big and heavy pens, so the weight is not an issue for me. I use all my pens unposted, and the weight is about right for me.

Nib Design and Performance 4.75/5.00

I am a bit lukewarm to the nib design as the nib looks a bit ‘thin’ and plain. The nib is a 18k medium. But the performance is top notched. It is a smooth, wet writer which writes a true medium line. I have a strange way of determining on the smoothness of a nib. I would glide my pen across a page sideways, in big up-down strokes and in circles. It is like pressing the accelerator hard when testing a car. Most pens would give that occasional ‘scratchiness’ when gliding over certain stretches, but this pen doesn’t give that feeling. It is smoothness all the way. I am more of a fine nib user, but because of my experience with this wonderful medium nib, I might be willing to try more medium nibs in future. The nib is on the stiff side.

Filling System 5.00/5.00

The pen uses an ink converter. Personally, I have no preference over the types of filling system. My priority for a good filling system is ease of use, and lack of need for maintenance (like sac replacement etc). Ink storage is not an issue to me.

Value 4.25/5.00

I bought this together with the large-sized black lacquered Orpheo, both for $475 including shipping. So if I were to proportion the cost for this sterling silver pen, I would say it is about $250. Both pens did not come with the original boxes. But I think it is still good value, considering the excellent condition of the pen. Peninasia sells the same pen for about $900, although I am not sure if the pen sizes are identical.

Conclusions 23.00/25.00

Some pens grow on you. I would say this is one of those pens. I do not use this pen as often as my other pens because of the nib size, but I will definitely want to use it more in future.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3295/2599117474_9fce684ee7_b.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3008/2599117362_a36e51db6b_b.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3156/2599117180_30cb108b13_b.jpg

purpledog

Edited by purpledog

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Brian

• purpledog

• punch

• George Drummond

Nice review of a pen that is infrequently discussed here. Dupont is bracketed upmarket and makes pens that are primarily of metal. They have some exquisite and very formal looking designs that are even more expensive than their regular line. The pens are heavy, but represent a high level of workmanship. I think they are not talked about much here because of the high cost of entry, the weight that is off putting to some, and the highbrow or uppity nature of the Dupont "image"...some might even say "boring."

Having said all that I find I am increasingly drawn to them because they sweat the details: (1) lunatic attention to detail and finishing. Take a loupe to one; (2) well conceived slip cap that appears to have withstood many years of use in prior Dupont designs; (3) a nib that appears to undergo individual hand adjustment before it ever leaves the factory. I've seen many Duponts over the years and none (!) have had less than exemplary finishing of the point.

I've always avoided heavy pens until I recently got crazy for a MB JP Morgan. Besides that example being a great writer, it too was heavy and I was surprised to find I did not mind it much at all even for longer sessions of writing at the desk. Maybe I will get lucky with a Dupont as well.

Thanks for the review and congratulations on your great looking pen.

You've been busy the last 2 days writing 4 review.

Yet another beautiful pen and great review.

Respect to all

I have a large size Dupont in black lacquer and gold cap with diamond shaped studs. It's a superb writing instrument, and the nib is a truly great performer. I think the styling of Dupont pens is very much an acquired taste; they have abandoned traditional styles in favour of more avantgarde designs with lots of lacquer and white metal. Not my thing, really. I chose this style of pen primarily because it had gold trim, which I prefer.

Beautiful pen! I would rate my DuPonts about the same as you have this one, possibly a little higher since I actually like the design. I believe that the DuPont is totally under-rated on this forum. But then again, I have heard it called a "boardroom pen", and that may explain some of the lack of bandwidth burnt on it.

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional and illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end"