FS: Hero pens from China

JDlugosz

I have some Hero 616, Hero 257, and Hero 329 pens for sale. These were bought in China, and then I did my own Q/A on them. Specifically, I pull out the bad ones, then disassemble and clean the business end using a weak solution of Person's Household Ammonia and a trip through the ultrasonic cleaner. Often there will be manufacturing debris or machine oil or whatever still in there, one reason they report that the pens need a substantial "breaking in" period. Then I test each one individually with a page of penmanship practice or note-taking or whatever; assuming it is not rejected now it may still need some nib burnishing or polishing, which I do and continue the break-in testing. Also, I assure that the ink flows properly, and will characterize the pen as wet or dry if it doesn't work well with the common PR ink. Some of them from the box I carry in a pocket to make sure it's not so "wet" that it splatters inside the cap even though it seems to write OK.

I'm selling these for USD $10 each, and guarantee they write as-tested and are as smooth as you can expect out of a $10 fine-point pen, doesn't dry out due to poor-fitting cap, etc. Shipping weight is 3oz and I try and use reclaimed packing materials.

Paypal or U.S. Checks OK.

--John

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JDlugosz

• Jimmy James

• davidwholt

• FrankB

The 616's are 5½" long and .45" in diameter just below the cap.

I have black, burgundy, and hunter green.

--John

Two other questions may be helpful to myself and others:

1) Is the $10 shipping inclusive? If not, what are you asking for shipping?

2) Are the 329s the new version (with a copper colored flat top on the cap) or the old version (with the star trek looking logo on the pen and a rounded cap top)?

<a href="Http://inkynibbles.com">Inky NIBbles, the ravings of a pen and ink addict.</a>

Two other questions may be helpful to myself and others:

1) Is the $10 shipping inclusive? If not, what are you asking for shipping?

2) Are the 329s the new version (with a copper colored flat top on the cap) or the old version (with the star trek looking logo on the pen and a rounded cap top)?

The shipping is probably $2.00 for one, USPS.

The 329's are the new style. I wonder why they didn't just give it a different number?

--John

I posted photos of these pens on my site. Sorry, no more black 616's.

These are all carefully color corrected using a full-range gray bar in test shots. Even so, the burgundy is hard to see if your monitor is dark.

--John

• 2 weeks later...

I'll mention that I made a small purchase of these pens. They were nicely packed and arrived just fine. I haven't inked them up yet, but I expect they will absolutely perform as advertised.

<a href="Http://inkynibbles.com">Inky NIBbles, the ravings of a pen and ink addict.</a>

Might as well go ahead and post too.

Received the pen in good time, well packaged.

Collection:

Waterman: 52V BCHR, 55 BCHR

Sheaffer: Peacock Blue Snorkel Sentinel, Black Snorkel Admiral, Persian Blue Touchdown Statesman

Parker: Silver 1946 Vacumatic, 1929 Lacquer red Duofold Senior, Burgundy "51" Special

Misc: Reform 1745, Hero 616, two pen holders and about 20 nibs.

I would like a hunter green 616.

Could I send money through PayPal to the email address given on your website?

Paypal or U.S. Checks OK.

--John

Collected ballpoints for decades, found FPN early June

after ordering Pilot BeGreen >70% post-consumer recycled content rollerballs.

Now have Parker Frontier, Pilot 78G, Pelikan M200, Rotring Core,

Reform 1745 from JJBlanche, Hero 616 & 257 from JDlugosz, Pilot Knight & Dux 612.

Thanks, John!

616 arrived yesterday in excellent condition.

Pleased that it is as fine a line as my 78G F.

Collected ballpoints for decades, found FPN early June

after ordering Pilot BeGreen >70% post-consumer recycled content rollerballs.

Now have Parker Frontier, Pilot 78G, Pelikan M200, Rotring Core,

Reform 1745 from JJBlanche, Hero 616 & 257 from JDlugosz, Pilot Knight & Dux 612.

I'm not after buying one, but I can't resist commenting on what seems some admirable prep work on a $10 pen! :)

Edited by Aysedasi

http://www.aysedasi.co.uk

She turned me into a newt.......

• Most Contributions

1. amberleadavis
      amberleadavis
    2. PAKMAN
      PAKMAN
    3. Ghost Plane
      Ghost Plane
    4. inkstainedruth
      inkstainedruth
    5. jar
      jar
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Comments

• Shanghai Knife Dude
      I have the Sailor Naginata and some fancy blade nibs coming after 2022 by a number of new workshop from China.  With all my respect, IMHO, they are all (bleep) in doing chinese characters.  Go use a bush, or at least a bush pen. 
    • A Smug Dill
      It is the reason why I'm so keen on the idea of a personal library — of pens, nibs, inks, paper products, etc. — and spent so much money, as well as time and effort, to “build” it for myself (because I can't simply remember everything, especially as I'm getting older fast) and my wife, so that we can “know”; and, instead of just disposing of what displeased us, or even just not good enough to be “given the time of day” against competition from >500 other pens and >500 other inks for our at
    • adamselene
      Agreed.  And I think it’s good to be aware of this early on and think about at the point of buying rather than rationalizing a purchase..
    • A Smug Dill
      Alas, one cannot know “good” without some idea of “bad” against which to contrast; and, as one of my former bosses (back when I was in my twenties) used to say, “on the scale of good to bad…”, it's a spectrum, not a dichotomy. Whereas subjectively acceptable (or tolerable) and unacceptable may well be a dichotomy to someone, and finding whether the threshold or cusp between them lies takes experiencing many degrees of less-than-ideal, especially if the decision is somehow influenced by factors o
    • adamselene
      I got my first real fountain pen on my 60th birthday and many hundreds of pens later I’ve often thought of what I should’ve known in the beginning. I have many pens, the majority of which have some objectionable feature. If they are too delicate, or can’t be posted, or they are too precious to face losing , still they are users, but only in very limited environments..  I have a big disliking for pens that have the cap jump into the air and fly off. I object to Pens that dry out, or leave blobs o
  • Chatbox

You don't have permission to chat.
    Load More
  • Files