Noodler's Zhivago

JJBlanche

Attached below is an image of a writing sample with Noodler's Zhivago, and below that, the review proper. Regarding the image, "lorem ipsum" is a nonsense language used by printers to showcase a font/color (ie: it takes focus away from content and puts it on aesthetics). The water test was performed by submerging and agitating a sample swatch of the given ink in reverse osmosis water for thirty seconds, then letting it drip dry.

A key has been added, written on Clairefontaine paper, with a number of different inks for reference.

Standard Disclaimer: Image provided only to give a general sense of the color. The vibrance and nuance are typically lost when an ink is digitized.

http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/2250/noodlerszhivagocy4.jpg

Review

When I write a review, I first focus on color, and award an ink 0 to 100 based upon that alone, separate from other considerations. I then deduct points from the color score for defects (ie: lack of flow, creep, etc), to arrive at an overall score.

Color

I looked into Zhivago originally, because I was told it had complexity. Perhaps, depending upon your definition of complex. When the ink hits the page, it's mostly black with hints of a brownish-green. Over a day or two, it gradually fades to an almost pure black, with some green nuances if you look hard enough.

Color Score = 68

Deductions

Zhivago has all the mess of Noodler's Navy, and none of it's positive attributes.

Zhivago is one of the slowest driers I have yet encountered.

Bonus Points

Zhivago performed the best, by far, on my water test, and deserves bonus points.

+5

Overall Score = 63 out of 100

Edited by JJBlanche

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JJBlanche

• lefty928

• digitalnative

• weissa

Top Posters In This Topic

Having just praised Zhivago elsewhere, I'm going to take issue with some of this.

I'm looking at several pages I wrote on standard white, lined paper, as well as notes I took on generic copier paper, over the last week. The ink is clearly a subtle dark green, with a moderate amount of shading. I also see no smears. I used a MB Meisterstuck 149 with a medium nib.

Every ink review is, by its very nature, subjective. Every fountain pen nib writes differently. This is why, at the top of my review, I noted the pen and nib I was using. In a fine nib, this ink looks black, with the subtlest brown-green hints if you hold the paper right up to your face.

This seems to be a love it or hate it ink. I post reviews only to offer my perspective and opinions. I'm not trying to issue propaganda, or anything of the like.

Yup, Zhivago does seem to vary a lot, depending on the pen. In a lot of my pens it seems black, which I don't care for, but in a few others it's a nice grayish green (lately in a Pilot 78G with medium nib).

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/8703/letterminizk9.png

Just got my bottle of Zhivago today and inked a Hero 329. Altho' it takes a wee bit longer than some inks to dry, this pen-ink combination works nicely in my Moleskines. It's a cool "vintage" look on the off-white paper.

Namiki Kasuri VP, Pilot Murex

Sailor Sapporo / Sailor 1911

Lamy 2000 / Studio / Safari

WTB: Nakaya Writer (when pigs fly!)