• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• chuancao

• gylyf

• Mannenhitsu

• Opus104

Definitely one of my favorite inks as well. I would just point out that I suspect you had trouble with the Waterman and not the Aurora because Aurora uses ebonite feeds that need to be saturated before working properly. I think you probably would have had similar results had you left the Waterman ink in the pen overnight. At least, that's been my experience with my Auroras.

I have to say that I like the way the Aurora comes out of a M nib. My Optima has a F nib that darkens the blue considerably.

Best,

David

Definitely one of my favorite inks as well. I would just point out that I suspect you had trouble with the Waterman and not the Aurora because Aurora uses ebonite feeds that need to be saturated before working properly. I think you probably would have had similar results had you left the Waterman ink in the pen overnight. At least, that's been my experience with my Auroras.

I have to say that I like the way the Aurora comes out of a M nib. My Optima has a F nib that darkens the blue considerably.

Best,

David

To tell you the truth, I left the waterman blue in the pen and left it nib down for TWO nights straight and it still was a bit weird, so I flushed the pen out and used Aurora. And just one night alone, the skipping has improved tremendously. It can still be a hard starter. By hard start, I just mean that it will take two strokes for the wet line to appear. I hope eventually all of this will be fixed.

Also, can you let me know what the difference is between a regular (say MontBlanc 146) feed and and Aurora Ebonite feed? Is one better than the other? And with Ebonite is there anything I need to watch out for?

Thanks!

Best,

David

To tell you the truth, I left the waterman blue in the pen and left it nib down for TWO nights straight and it still was a bit weird, so I flushed the pen out and used Aurora. And just one night alone, the skipping has improved tremendously. It can still be a hard starter. By hard start, I just mean that it will take two strokes for the wet line to appear. I hope eventually all of this will be fixed.

Also, can you let me know what the difference is between a regular (say MontBlanc 146) feed and and Aurora Ebonite feed? Is one better than the other? And with Ebonite is there anything I need to watch out for?

Thanks!

Hi, chuancao. To tell you the truth, I don't know if MB uses ebonite or plastic for its feeds. But the benefit of ebonite over plastic is that ebonite is porous: the ink therefore saturates the feed, resulting in wetter and more regular flow. Or at least, that the theory: a good nibmeister can make a plastic feed flow as reliably as an ebonite feed.

Best,

David

PS I had a couple of Auroras that took a while to break in, so that might be the case with yours. The only one with which that hasn't been the case is the Optima I bought from John Mottishaw.

David: Thanks so much for your explanation. It's comforting to know that it will take a while for it to break in. For my smaller C/C version of the 88, there was no break in whatsoever. So I've been a bit anxious.

Another thing I noticed with my pen is that since I've got both the small and large 88, it seems my small 88's 14K nib (though also Rhodium plated) is a bit shinier or whiter than the bigger nib, which almost has a yellowish cast (very slight). Are all your Aurora nibs of the same tone? Is it normal for every batch of nib to be different toned or colored? Thanks so much!!

David: Thanks so much for your explanation. It's comforting to know that it will take a while for it to break in. For my smaller C/C version of the 88, there was no break in whatsoever. So I've been a bit anxious.

Another thing I noticed with my pen is that since I've got both the small and large 88, it seems my small 88's 14K nib (though also Rhodium plated) is a bit shinier or whiter than the bigger nib, which almost has a yellowish cast (very slight). Are all your Aurora nibs of the same tone? Is it normal for every batch of nib to be different toned or colored? Thanks so much!!

I've sold two of my three Optimas, but I don't recall noticing a difference in the plating. Not much help, sorry.

David

Edited by cellulophile

I have always like Aurora Black and Blue very much. They are some of the smoothest and easy flowing inks I have ever used. I have a few pens that like to skip or a dry starters, but never when I used Aurora Ink. :thumbup:

Sincerely yours,

Ronnie Banks

"Like a prized watch, a good fountain pen is a trusted companion for life."

• 4 months later...

Have rediscovered Aurora Blue after a long hiatus. I used to prefer Diamine Imperial Blue, but now I'm not so sure. Aurora is a very classy (and classic) royal blue.

One thing I've noticed this time around that escaped me before (but is noted in the review above): Aurora Blue resists feathering.

Viseguy

Pens that skip or dry start often have a feed problem. The slightest gap between the feed and the nib causes these problems. Most can be easily adjusted if the nib is easy to remove and se-set.

Good review. Great ink.

Aurora blue is the only ink I have used in my Sailor 1911 - XF nib since dip testing it at my pen dealer's. It was love at first write ;)

• 4 months later...

Thanks for such a thorough review. Am wondering if you find the Aurora more "flowing" than the Visconti blue? The Visconti blue got one of my pens to write. If the Aurora has even more of this property, I just may try it.

May you have pens you enjoy, with plenty of paper and ink. :)

Please use only my FPN name "Gran" in your posts. Thanks very much!

I was introduced to this delightful ink by one of my snail partners back in the waning days of iKonpen, the predecessor to Pentrace. It has been my only ink, and that in continuous daily use since October 2000, in my Namiki Impressions. I like the nicely subtle shading it produces with this medium nib.

Oddly enough, I have never had Aurora inks in either one of my Optimas. Not regularly, that is. I did fill the green auroloide pen with Aurora Black once, but did not like the combination. It is usually filled with a 1:1 mix of Parker Penman Emerald and Private Reserve Sherwood Green. The blue auroloide pen is always filled with Omas Roma Blue.

Having just recently used up most of my Pelikan Royal Blue, and having acquired a couple of Aurora models I decided to get a bottle of Aurora Blue. All I can say is that in the first pen I have used it in - Aurora Talentum Finesse with true EF nib - the ink was superb. Wonderful even flow, great coverage, and smooth. That is a fantastic combination of qualities considering it was used in an EF. And the added bonus is that to my eyes the color is very elegant. Some of my relish for this ink may be the result of the fabulous nib in this Talentum Finesse; however, the Aurora Blue certainly did its part to complete the perfect combo. I could not be more pleased.

Thanks for such a thorough review. Am wondering if you find the Aurora more "flowing" than the Visconti blue? The Visconti blue got one of my pens to write. If the Aurora has even more of this property, I just may try it.

You are most welcome. I am glad all my past reviews have been dug up. Makes me want to do more reviews w/ my other inks such as Waterman Havana Brown and Noodler's Eel blue, or Sheaffer blue black!

Visconti Blue is very free flowing as well (have you read my review on that? :)

Even though Visconti has a truer blue, I feel like it actually stains and is a bit hard to wash. Aurora on the other hand cleans easily in any pen. It's a different level of smoothness that's hard to describe in words. All in all a classic!

Let me know if you'd like any other reviews. I'd be happy to scan some more ink reviews.

I have the following which I have yet to review:

MontBlanc Royal Blue

MontBlanc Bordeaux

Diamine Blue Black

Waterman Havana Brown

Noodler's Eel blue (just acquired for my tight piston Mont Blanc)

Aurora Black

Sheaffer Blue Black