Waterman 352, Ideal fine flex nib

journeyman42

Last week I received a vintage waterman pen in the mail. :bunny01:

http://www.cmgds.com/pen/water1.jpg

It needs a new ink sac but other than that it appears to be in great working order. Of course I did not let a missing ink sac destroy my fun so I have dipped it a few times (after giving it a thorough cleaning) and have been having a lot of fun with it. I really have no idea wht I am doing yet when it comes to a flexible nib, but I soon will. Here are a few other pictures.

http://www.cmgds.com/pen/water2.jpg http://www.cmgds.com/pen/water3.jpg

http://www.cmgds.com/pen/water4.jpg

Now for the review.

First Impressions:

This is a vintage pen, from the early 1940's (I haven't been able to track down an exact date yet). The design in a blue swirl as you can see form the pictures. It is in good shape after all these years so I am sure that with moderate care it will last many more.

Design and featuers:

The pen is very light weight (not sure how much) but lighter than a pencil.

The length is 5" capped and 6" posted.

Filling mechanism:

A lever filler. I still need to replace the sac to guage it's abilities her, but I have high hopes

Nib and Performance:

The nib flow seem quite wet, but I am still able to get quite a fine line out of it. The writing sample in the picture above was done with Noodler's Ottoman Azure. It puts out more ink than my Tombow with a medium nib so the ink looks darker. The flexible capabilities of the nib are pretty good I am able to vary the line by a mgnitude of about 400% from fine to wide, this is the reason I got the pen so I am quite happy with it in that respect. There seems to be a little tooth to it compared to my other pen, not enough to be an issue, but you definately get a feel for the paper.

Cost/Value:

This is my first vintage pen. I got it for around $20 off of ebay so I am happy with the value. There seem to be other similar ones that sell in the area of $20 - $30 on a fairly regular basis so it seems a good price for some solid flex capabilities.

Summary:

I am pleased with the pen. As a first introduction to flex I could not ask for more. At the price I won't ever regret getting it no mater the outcome from use. If you are looking for inexpensive flex then this or somthing similar is the direction you should head.

Edited by journeyman42

When going on a journey always take your pen.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• journeyman42

• Sharkle

• jonro

• LedZepGirl

Lovely pen and great handwriting too! I'm not usually fond of gold trim, but it sure looks good on this pen. Thanks for the review, and I hope you get a lot of writing pleasure with the flex. :thumbup:

It reminds me a lot of my blue Esterbrook- looks like the same plastic. The flex nib looks like a lot of fun.

I'd rather spend my money on pens instead of shoes and handbags.

>>> My Blog <<<

• 1 year later...

when i first saw the pics i thought i got taken to a review of and esterbrook j transitional! great review!

Great pen, sure you'll enjoy it, and what a deal, you deserve it, not like me, unable to replace a sac :blush: . I think vintage pens with flex nibs tend to be quite wetter than today's standards, so the flow can keep up when one flexes the nib letting much more ink to go.

I'm a user, baby.

We love what we do not possess. Plato, probably about pens.

Nice review, thanks.

And how can this be, because he is the Kwisatz Haderach.

Sounds like you got a sleeper deal on a mint or nearly mint pen with the sticker still on. Sometimes, its not about how much you paid as much as its about what you get.

Congratulations on a great pen.

Looks to me like a nice score! Pretty pen, and doesn't that price ($3.50) bring a tear to your eye..

Grats on the pen, now I have to look for one.....

:thumbup:

Increase your IQ, use Linux AND a Fountain pen!!http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk11/79spitfire/Neko_animated.gif
http://fedoraproject.org/w/uploads/5/50/Fedorabutton-iusefedora.png

This pen was also referred to as the "Dauntless" in catalogs and ads and is a great little pen! I've seen it in four colors but not black.

Dan

The more I see of vintage pens, the more I think I need to try them. So far, I have only new modern pens. This is a beauty! I suspect you can't really go wrong with a Waterman :)

Tamara

What a beautiful pen, congratulations on your acquisition.

I've been recently introduced to vintage pens, a few Parkers and I've been blown away. Vintage Sheaffers and Watermans are right up there on my wish list.

The more I see of vintage pens, the more I think I need to try them. So far, I have only new modern pens. This is a beauty! I suspect you can't really go wrong with a Waterman :)

Take the plunge, you won't regret it!

Parker VS (rust)

Parker "51" aerometric (navy grey)

Sheaffer Snorkel Saratoga (burgundy)

Sheaffer Imperial IV Touchdown (green)

It is a great writer. After having used it for quite a while I only have a couple of minor issues, though none of them have to do with it's writing quality. The cap unscrews fairly easily I have had a few shirt pockets require extra cleaning attention because of that. Though if I am careful and I tighten the cap regularly then it is not an issue. The other is nib creep, All o the different inks I have tried in it do it to some extent, but since this is primarily cosmetic I don't mind. All in all A great pen.

When going on a journey always take your pen.