Sheaffer Targa-review

goodguy

Sheaffer Targa, Ah Sheaffer Targa. This is one of the pens I like but never concentrated on simply because I don’t have enough money to buy everything I want.

This pen in many ways reminds me of the Parker 75.No they don’t look alike but they represent to me the same basic idea well executed by both Parker and Sheaffer.

These are very elegant pens both with C/C filler and are fabulous writers.

Both for me these pens are the last of there kind with these once huge pen companies (except the Duofold).

I especially like the lacquer models as they look great. The Lacquer combination on these pens is vast and interesting and are very smooth and pleasant to touch.

Well I have 4 Targa’s.2 gold filled model and 2 Lacquer.

I will write this review about the gold filled with a F nib because it has my favorite nib of the three (a fine nib).

Well first these pens are made of metal (I’m pretty sure its brass) but they are not heavy. The cap is a snap on type and it fits the barrel well with no free movement at all. These pens are very well made and you can feel it. I find the design of the pen to be modern but yet conservative with its flat ends.

There are not enough good words I could say about this nib. We all talk on how wonderful and smooth Sailor pens are or Omas nibs are or Pelikan or many others wonderful pens and we forget other modern pens that are not in production any more there nibs are as good or even better. This is the case with these Sheaffer nibs.

The inlaid nib on these pens is the main reason I like to collect these pens. I always loved Sheaffer Inlaid nibs and those on the Targa are my favorite. These are responsive, wet, always start the moment they touch the paper and never skip, very very smooth and don’t forget beautiful.

These pens all have press converters and they hold a fair bit of ink more then enough for everyday use.

These pens also make great collection pieces because there were so many models of them made (some command a fair amount of money).

I think these pens have the perfect combination of smart look, size and wonderful smooth writing characteristics to be used everyday by both man and woman in office environment or in the market writing a list of ingredients in a market.

Oh and for those of you that wondered my cat has original red hair and he is not gold plated :ltcapd: .

post-2027-1207104112_thumb.jpg

post-2027-1207104318_thumb.jpg

post-2027-1207104338_thumb.jpg

post-2027-1207104387_thumb.jpg

Edited by goodguy

Respect to all

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• goodguy

• Shamouti

• MCosta77777

• minemap

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What a nice love sonnet for the Targas! I don't have one - I have a few Legacies, but I think I understand...

Erick

Using right now:

Visconti Voyager 30 "M" nib running Birmingham Streetcar

Jinhao 9019 "EF" nib running Birmingham Railroad Spike

Stipula Adagio "F" nib running Birmingham Violet Sea Snail

Pelikan M1000 "F" nib running Birmingham Sugar Kelp

Another good review, goodguy! Thanks. The design of the nibs have intrigued me for a while and I do wish I knew more about the Targa.

JELL-O, IT'S WHATS FOR DINNER!

I really gotta get one of these pens!

I've been admiring them for awhile now.

Even your cat is fascinated by them! :D

Frank

"Celebrating Eight Years of Retail Writing Excellence"

"When, in the course of writing events, in becomes self-evident that not all pens are created equal"

Federalist Pens and Paper (Online Pen Store)

facelogobooks.png.7b61776c10ce24852b00693f4005dc72.png

Use Forum Code "FPN" at Checkout to Receive an Additional 5% Discount!

Nice review! I like the Targa very much. I have one heavily used matte-black finished with gold trim and medium 14k nib. I've used and lost a couple over the years. I also have one similar to your light blue finished Targa except it's the Blue Swirl finish with a fine 14k nib. I love the inlaid nibs.

Nice review.

I understand exactly as I too have two Targas, one in crome and in brown laque.

Very good pens indeed.

Cheers,

Miguel

• 8 months later...

I haven't refilled my Targa in the past 48 hours. In the last 24 hours I have filled 8 pages of notebook paper to the brim with writing and drawn a complete picture in a 4x6 Moleskine notebook. That's a lot of ink. It still isn't even skipping yet, I think I have another page left in it before I refill it

"Do your damnedest in an ostentatious matter all the time," General George S Patton

• 4 months later...

Hey! You're a cat lover! Does you cat love writing too?

Yes, yes. Once you get a Targa, I'm afraid, you're hooked!

Shamouti :D

Hey! You're a cat lover! Does you cat love writing too?

Yes, yes. Once you get a Targa, I'm afraid, you're hooked!

Shamouti :D

My cat writes more then me :meow: he just finished writing a book called Meow in the darks. A really good book :ltcapd: .

Yes I love Targa. I was forced to sell my Targa collection but I did kept one for myself and use it.

Respect to all

• 2 weeks later...

Used a grey lacquered Targa for some years, great pen, until the cap did not snap anymore and went lame. Since than I have abonded Targa and I´m using a Parker Duofold Centennial.

Jan

I couldn't agree more on so many aspects:-

1) Targas are hugely underrated. Every one I've owned/used have been really smooth writers.

2) The Targa and the 75 were the last gasps of 2 great pen companies (the modern Duofold excepted) - and that is such a shame.

Regards Richard

Regards Richard

Current users:

Striped Conklin Nozac (F/XF nib)

Tortoiseshell Sailor Magellan (F nib)

Grey Levenger Seas Sheaffer (F nib)

Delta Dolcevita (Stub nib)

the targa has so much potential as a snorkel fill but it didn't. Still, some very nice outward designs.

A man's real possession is his memory. In nothing else is he rich, in nothing else is he poor.

I couldn't agree more on so many aspects:-

1) Targas are hugely underrated. Every one I've owned/used have been really smooth writers.

2) The Targa and the 75 were the last gasps of 2 great pen companies (the modern Duofold excepted) - and that is such a shame.

Regards Richard

I actually agree. Targas are great pens, and if you try one, it's a real eye opener. When I returned from Ft. Madison in March, in some ways, it naturally heightened my desire for a Sheaffer. So what better way than to own a Targa? I now own two, and hopefully more, some other time.

Both the Targa and the 75 from Parker were so similar to each other, yet had their own unique characteristics. It's their designs and quality, as well built writers, that make them still last for a very long time.

Shamouti

nice pen and thanks for the review :)

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time