Stipula Suprema

rogerb

This is my first attempt at a review; I saw the Suprema hadn't been covered and had just received mine.

The pen in the pictures is filled with Diamine Imperial purple, as you can just see, on the nib, and in the clear reservoir.

Apologies for the picture (and handwriting!) quality...I don't have the skill or equipment to make 'em better!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v693/rogerb40uk/FebMar08007.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v693/rogerb40uk/FebMar08008.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v693/rogerb40uk/SupremaReview.jpg

Edited by rogerb

If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; But if you really make them think, they'll hate you.

Don Marquis

US humorist (1878 - 1937)

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rogerb

• CharlieB

• Deirdre

• Michael R.

I absolutely love my own pen in this series. It's a beautiful pen.

deirdre.net

"Heck we fed a thousand dollar pen to a chicken because we could." -- FarmBoy, about Pen Posse

Please tell us more about the nib. Is it gold or titanium? Is it the large nib used on the Etruria, or is it the smaller nib used on some Stipula's less costly pens. How well does the piston mechanism work?

CharlieB

"The moment he opened the refrigerator, he saw it. Caponata! Fragrant, colorful, abundant, it filled an entire soup dish, enough for at least four people.... The notes of the triumphal march of Aida came spontaneously, naturally, to his lips." -- Andrea Camilleri, Excursion to Tindari, p. 212

That's a great review Roger (in that I now want one). The handwriting sample is excellent and you favour the same sort of nibs as me.

I will now have to put one on the I want it list!

Thanks for posting this.

It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of nothing at all...

Please tell us more about the nib. Is it gold or titanium? Is it the large nib used on the Etruria, or is it the smaller nib used on some Stipula's less costly pens. How well does the piston mechanism work?

Hey , Charlie, look in the top R/H corner of my writing.... "18Kt 2-colour" :eureka: :)

It's a big nib, as I think the pic shows, similar to the one on my Saturno...I haven't snagged an Etruria yet, but guess it's virtually the same. It has just a bit of flex and the wide stub nib handles fairly textured paper very well.

I have only used the filler a few times, to flush it and to fill it....it seems to work really well.

Susanna's site "www.pens.it" says you can 'rotate' the nib unit, but I don't have any reason to do that and haven't tried!

If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; But if you really make them think, they'll hate you.

Don Marquis

Hey , Charlie, look in the top R/H corner of my writing.... "18Kt 2-colour" :eureka: :)

It's a big nib, as I think the pic shows, similar to the one on my Saturno...I haven't snagged an Etruria yet, but guess it's virtually the same. It has just a bit of flex and the wide stub nib handles fairly textured paper very well.

I have only used the filler a few times, to flush it and to fill it....it seems to work really well.

Susanna's site "www.pens.it" says you can 'rotate' the nib unit, but I don't have any reason to do that and haven't tried!

Thank you all for the kind remarks..... I'll see if I have any more gaps in the reviews can fill!

Don Marquis

My mistake! I didn't look in the upper corner.

I'm wondering what the advantage would be of being able to rotate the nib on a ROUND pen. The pens that need the rotation capability are the square and triangular pens.

In any case, it looks like you did well for yourself with this pen. Enjoy it!

CharlieB

"The moment he opened the refrigerator, he saw it. Caponata! Fragrant, colorful, abundant, it filled an entire soup dish, enough for at least four people.... The notes of the triumphal march of Aida came spontaneously, naturally, to his lips." -- Andrea Camilleri, Excursion to Tindari, p. 212

Sweet!

RAPT

Pens:Sailor Mini, Pelikan Grand Place, Stipula Ventidue with Ti Stub nib, Pelikan M605 with Binder Cursive Italic, Stipula Ventidue with Ti M nib, Vintage Pilot Semi-flex, Lamy Vista, Pilot Prera

For Sale:

Saving for: Edison Pearl

In my dreams: Nakaya Piccolo, custom colour/pattern

In transit:

I will now have to put one on the I want it list!

As a Stipula Fanboy, I think you meant to say: "I will now have to move this higher up on my I want it list!"

HTH.

deirdre.net

"Heck we fed a thousand dollar pen to a chicken because we could." -- FarmBoy, about Pen Posse

Dear Roger,

Many thanks for the nice review and pictures.

I was looking for a Suprema review for a long time as there aren't many infos and pictures around.

The brown finish really looks great.

I got the Suprema Pelago a while ago which is the same pen in a different color (I really need to get some nice pictures done to post :embarrassed_smile: ).

The only problem I have with this pen is that it takes some efforts to screws on the cap. Don't know if this is due to some material shrinkage or unexactly cut threads? I never now when to stop turning when closing the pen and I'm alsways afraid to do some damage to the pen. Maybe this gets better with regular use?

Also I had some problems with the ink flow skipping when flexing the nib too much; I got rid of this by shortening the back of the nib of about 1 mm so it can be pushed farer into the section with the feed now ending closer to the tip of the nib - no it writes very nice without any problems.

Is your ink view window completly clear? Mine is a just a little bit cloudy but I got the pen used so I don't know if it belongs this way (only visable when empty).

I'm wondering what the advantage would be of being able to rotate the nib on a ROUND pen. The pens that need the rotation capability are the square and triangular pens.

Yes it works; Stipula claims that the nib can be rotated to be in line with a possible engraving/imprint.

Overall this is a very interesting unique pen. I really like the solid sterling silver trim which luckily is not plated!

Cheers

Michael

• 2 years later...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v693/rogerb40uk/StipulaSupremareviewpostscript0001.jpg

Don Marquis

I like this pen a lot :thumbup: Meanwhile I am going to buy a 10th anniversary eritruria in march

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

What a great pen!! Congratulations for it came back to your home! :thumbup: Piston Filler is my favourite filling system. Broad stub or italic nibs are definitely my favourite!

That pen produces awesome strokes! Love its LARGE ink window too!

Thank you for the new sample. I hope that pen never get away from you! No doubt , "she" loves you!

I'm thinking about seeking some Stipula :hmm1:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v693/rogerb40uk/StipulaSupremareviewpostscript0001.jpg

I have this same pen and absolutely love it. May I ask what ink you used in the second writing sample? Looks like a great brown.