Pilot Quattro 89 (Brown)

Immoteus

First Impressions - Originally, I wanted the Faber Castell Classic which, in my opinion, looked stunning! When I had the opportunity to dip it, there were a few points about the pen that turned me away. Namely the metal section, heavy weight and the fact that its a fingerprint magnet. Then in November of 2007, there was news of Pilot releasing the Quattro 89 which bears some resemblance to the GvFC Classic. I ordered the pen from engeika on ebay which arrived in a timely manner. My only gripe is that for the $15 shipping he could have done a better job at packaging the pen (one layer of bubble wrap in a paper envelope is insufficient). Regardless, the pen arrived undamaged. The pen came with a presentation Ivory cardboard box, nestled in purple satin-like material. Extras included: three Ivory coloured cards and envelopes (I guess I have to write three people, bragging about my new pen :D ) along with a cartridge.

post-10295-1205214763_thumb.jpg

post-10295-1205214794_thumb.jpg

Appearance & Finish - The Pen has a glossy plastic section, brushed aluminium cap, wood grain body and a spring loaded clip. Construction of the pen feels solid and I wasn't able to find any flaws.

post-10295-1205214816_thumb.jpg

post-10295-1205214833_thumb.jpg

Design/Size/Weight - The pen body is made out of synthetic wood that is supposedly highly resistant to moisture/water. This pen is the updated version of the discontinued Quattro, which had a square body and section and wasn't very pleasant to use. In the updated design the body remains square (with rounded edges) but the section is now tubular. Because of the redesigned section, there is a slight step from the body. This step is minimal (guessing less than 1mm) and hardly noticeable. Since I don't have a ruler on hand I can't give precise dimensions, but the pen is slightly longer than the Prera and the same length of the Mid Size Black Divina but not as heavy. When I was filling the pen I noticed that the metal ends were glued onto the wood body, leaving the middle of the body unprotected incase of an ink spill. I'm guessing this was to save costs and weight (mostly cost). Admittedly, I would have preferred if an tube ran the span of the body. Un-posted, the pen is quite light and with the cap making up roughly half the total weight the pen feels top heavy when posted. To post the pen, the cap screws onto the end (it takes two rotations to cap, uncap, post and unpost).

post-10295-1205214846_thumb.jpg

post-10295-1205217033_thumb.jpg

Pens (Top to Bottom): Omas Ogiva, Pilot Bamboo, Pilot Decimo, Pilot Quattro 89, Visconti Black Divina (Mid-Size) and Pilot Prera

Nib Design & Performance - This particular Q89 came with a medium 14k rhodium plated #3 nib, which is the same nib on the Custom 74. (Will post writing sample, when I have the chance)

The Filling System - Pump converter (Con-70)

post-10295-1205214923_thumb.jpg

Cost - MSRP of the Q89 is 31500 Yen or approx. $315 at the time of the order. I purchased it from engeika (ebay) at 280 so it was a decent deal.

Conclusion - Overall, I'm impressed that Pilot is coming out with new models that doesn't follow the traditonal design of fountain pens. This is a beautiful pen that has a good design and performance. Most importantly, I'm glad that Pilot is finally doing something about the pen presentation boxes in their $200-$300 range (The boxes for the custom series were/felt/looked incredibly cheap). Would I buy another one? Yes, the Black Q89 is next on my list.

Wishlist of Improvements/Accessories - Produce an eyedrop adapter the size of the con-70 (which would give the pen an ink capacity of 3ml or more).

post-10295-1205214779_thumb.jpg

http://www.sumi-ri.com/pilot-quattro89.html, for additional pictures.

Edited by MYU

Virtute enim ipsa non tam multi praediti esse quam videri volunt.

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

Contact Information for Japanese Manufacturers

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MikeW

• Immoteus

• simonrob

• Martius

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Looks very nice. Afraid a bit about the sharp edge between the section and barrel and how it will affect comfort.

Thank you for th lovly review.

I need to add that I am a bit disapointed at both Pilot and Sailor that most of their fountain pens are C/C fillers and not piston fillers.

Respect to all

Interesting pen, nice review, thanks.

Lamy 2000-Lamy Vista-Visconti Van Gogh Maxi Tortoise Demonstrator-Pilot Vanishing Point Black Carbonesque-1947 Parker 51 Vacumatic Cedar Blue Double Jewel-Aurora Optima Black Chrome Cursive Italic-Waterman Hemisphere Metallic Blue-Sheaffer Targa-Conway Stewart CS475

Man, this is a nice looking pen. I've never heard it about before but looks interesting enough. I just might look around.... ;)

JELL-O, IT'S WHATS FOR DINNER!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the wonderful review. I am planning on getting this pen as well (probably the black version) so it is fantastic to read your thorough review. The link with the additional pictures is very helpful demonstrating all the different components that make up the pen. Another excellent example of Japanese engineering and design. I am planning on getting a few pens this year (mainly Japanese) and this is one of them

Nikolaos

• 2 months later...

I acquired this pen a bit ago and have just inked it. I hope to prepare a review in the near future, however, in the meantime, I would like to note that I am pleased with the pen with one exception (and the same potential problem was identified above). I am having a bit of difficulty trying to find a comfortable position for holding the pen. There is a "sharp" transition between the round section and the square barrel - both the difference in shape as well as size (the square barrel is noticeably larger in diameter than the section). As I write with the pen, my hand seems to find a comfortable position without consciously thinking about it;when I first started writing with it, this required deliberate thought to try to find that place - this was not only comfortable but distracted from the otherwise pleasant writing experience.

MikeW

"In the land of fountain pens, the one with the sweetest nib reigns supreme!"

Check out the London Pen Club.

Thank you for th lovly review.

I need to add that I am a bit disapointed at both Pilot and Sailor that most of their fountain pens are C/C fillers and not piston fillers.

Have you tried a Pilot pump converter? They work really well (as do other Pilot converters).

Interesting review of an attractive pen (though I was surprised by the comment on the nib size; my 74 has a #5). My only problem with Pilots is that every time I try one it writes so nicely I want to try another....

Simon

Very nice. Pilot really plays a great role in modern pen manufacture. The CON-70 converters even hold a lot more ink than most converters.

"Can I see Arcturus from where I stand?" -RPW

Does this pen have screw threads for posting? Very interesting.

Yes, there are threads at the end of the pen for posting.

http://www.sumi-ri.com/RIMG02901.jpg

To post the pen, the cap screws onto the end (it takes two rotations to cap, uncap, post and unpost).
Edited by Immoteus

Virtute enim ipsa non tam multi praediti esse quam videri volunt.

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

Contact Information for Japanese Manufacturers

yes, it can take those cartridges. I prefer the converter though as I believe it holds a fair amount of ink and the pump action fills it right up.

MikeW

"In the land of fountain pens, the one with the sweetest nib reigns supreme!"

Check out the London Pen Club.