Montex Handy#11

Suggie

Hello Fountain Pen Network,

I don't want to seem as though I'm crowing about kadymae and an unfortunate experience with Foray, especially he or she seems to be a fellow Farscape fan. My sympathies, really.

This isn't intended to be an intense review, I should point out. My experience with this Montex pen has been more dag-yo, than frell or dren.

A few days ago I bought a fountain pen, saying on the package, "gold plated iridium nib" from edjwilson on eBay. £1.49 total with packaging. With free cartridges and converter (referred to as a "syringe").

On arrival I got a Montex Handy #11, covered in illustrations, designed, I think, to support "Socker", soccer or football, depending on your location. Part of the "Montex" name had worn off -- a gold coloured surround.

And all went very well. Delivery was prompt and the pen wrote. It is an audible writer, but there's a good flow, a bit variable, but there is always ink. It is very light to handle (I'm sure I've used heavier pencils). The cap posts neatly on the small yellow socket on the end. Cheap but more carefully thought out is the impression I have. So far I've used only the cartridge. I'm pleased with the performance.

Googling "Montex Pen" brought me to www.montexpen.com -- an Indian company, and a number of "Handy" pens, though not one exactly like mine.

I attached JPEGS for perusal. The writing sample is a verse from a poem by Stuart MacGregor. My writing was on its best behaviour.

Thanks Everybody

post-13064-1203266199_thumb.jpg

post-13064-1203266218_thumb.jpg

post-13064-1203266183_thumb.jpg

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Suggie

• sandeep108

• pgwodehouse

• Ondina

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes, Montex is an Indian company but I thought they only made ball/gell pens. I will have to look around for this one - I may one for my daughter - no worries if she stomps on it! It is quite possible they only make the FPs for export.

Sandeep,

thanks for replying. Noel Coward said something about the power of cheap music. There also seems to be something to be said about the power of cheap pens.

The cartridge ran out, and I tried to converter, with some Private Reserve Velvet Black, and everything seems to be working well!

I didn't give it much thought, but I was a bit surprised when I saw so few fountain pens associated with India, and those that are, don't seem very easy to find. My supplier from eBay described his shop as SCALEXTRIC AND PACKAGING ESSENTIALS ! Finding the pen was a bit of a fluke, but it seemed like an a good idea at the time.

Regards,

Suggie

I just bought a Rotring Surf for $5 for my daughter, let us see how long she uses it, if at all. I spent 1 $ more for the converter. Seems to me to be pretty ok. Neat expensive looking nib that writes nicely but in a cheap looking plastic body. The other alternatives were some chinese pens, but they did not seem suitable for kids. Could not find Montex or any other Indian company make.

I really like to see reviews of humble pens like this ones, unexpected and mostly unknown FP's in this forum. Is refreshing, I learn lots and also reminds me of why I'm here in first place. I studied many years with a humble Senator Windsor golplated piston filler, that was a real pleasure to write with and that worked like a horse for a bunch of years, flawlessly and performing really well for the money I paid then.

The Rotring Core is an excelent pen for the money, you just have to like the aesthetics. Good choice for a kid, and a great way to start learning how to write and how to enjoy Fp's.

Edited by Ondina

To sandeep - Montex Handy # 11 is the most ubiquitous ink pen in India (that is, if you exclude chinese Hero pens). Chances are, if you go to an Indian stationer and ask him for an ink pen, he ll give you this Montex.

To Suggie - This pen costs INR 20 - 25, which is roughly 0.25 - 0.35 pounds.

To Ondina - There was once this ink pen in India (now discontinued) by Stic, which used to sell for INR 10. That makes it 0.1 pounds. Hard to see anyone making a cheaper pen. Only a couple of them left with me.

To sandeep - Montex Handy # 11 is the most ubiquitous ink pen in India (that is, if you exclude chinese Hero pens). Chances are, if you go to an Indian stationer and ask him for an ink pen, he ll give you this Montex.

To Ondina - There was once this ink pen in India (now discontinued) by Stic, which used to sell for INR 10. That makes it 0.1 pounds. Hard to see anyone making a cheaper pen. Only a couple of them left with me.

Hello PG,

interesting. Even cheaper in India than on eBay! And Ondina, I also possess a Rotring Core, an eccentric product, which one elicited the statement "cool pen" from a young person. I was rather proud. But it works a treat. I bought a light blue one, unfortunately the cap seems to quickly become dirty. Should there be a section for pens below say, fifty dollars?

Thanks everybody

Suggie

• 3 years later...

Hi to everybody,

I recently bought A Montex Handy# 11 (for only 4 SDG) the nip holder (plastic chamber) is broken on the first twist when trying to install the cartridge... the writing experience is not bad.. do any body know if the attached cartridges can be refilled with Hero ink?

Greetings,

• 3 years later...

I got a full box of 10 pens for 120 rs