Oversized Flagship Piston Filler Comparison

Tsujigiri

post-5233-1201299150_thumb.jpg

I like big piston fillers, and these three pens are the best in my collection. I remember when I was searching for the perfect pen, these three seemed to stand out. The Meisterstuck 149 had the appeal of being a classic design, almost unchanged since it was first introduced in 1952. The Pelikan was very similar, and the company was recommended among fountain pen enthusiasts. And the Omas had an interesting modern approach to a classical design. So having now accumulated all three, here are my thoughts on them. I got a chance to use a good camera to take these photos, but some of them might be a little unfocused because I am not very experienced with photography. Also, feel free to leave feedback on the format of the review. This is my first, so I just structured it in a way that seemed logical to me, but I’m sure it could have been clearer.

post-5233-1201299970_thumb.jpg

Build Quality:

Montblanc 149 9/10

Omas Paragon 9/10

Pelikan m1000 10/10

Comparing the resins of these three pens, the Pelikan’s definitely has the best feel. The black finish is smooth and flowing, and looks like it’s made out of lacquer. The pieces of the pen fit together perfectly; the cap screws on and off smoothly and silently. The cap removes in only a few turns, something not true of the other pens. The m1000 has a good weight to it that makes it feel like more than just cheap plastic. Pelikan seems to have paid attention to detail. Their pen is the most solidly built of the group. The Paragon is nice, as well- a simple design, but well-executed. But as for quality control, the facets and cap band didn’t line up, something I would not expect with such an expensive pen. Even the one in the picture that OMAS uses to advertise the Paragon had misaligned facets. The clip is nicely made, a silver arc springing from an otherwise uninterrupted black surface. I’m not sure exactly what the material is (labeled as “cotton resin”), but it is the only resin of the three that is completely black. The other two pens, as seen when held up to a bright light, are actually made of a very, very dark red resin. I can detect no color when holding the Paragon up to the light. The Omas has a good, sturdy weight, and the solid sterling silver section really gives it a classy feel, despite complaints about it being slippery and tending to pick up fingerprints. The one complaint I can raise about the resin is that it feels a bit plasticky when removing/replacing/posting the cap. Otherwise a very solid pen. The Montblanc feels a little cheap and light in comparison to these two. The star on the cap doesn’t line up with the clip, and the cap makes a scratchy noise when it is removed. The pen doesn’t quite have the inexplicable sense of presence and gravity that the m1000 has. There have also been complaints about the resin shattering, although I have not experienced this, even when I accidentally dropped my Classique ballpoint from full height.

post-5233-1201300027_thumb.jpg

Grip, balance, and feel:

Montblanc 149 10/10

Omas Paragon 10/10

Pelikan m1000 10/10

All the pens have good balance and a wide, comfortable grip. The Montblanc lends itself to posting especially well, and looks great. It has a straight grip that fits the fingers reasonably well. The Pelikan works well posted or unposted, and has a curvy section that fits the fingers perfectly. Due to the oversized nibs, the 149 and m1000 feel a little odd in the hand at first, but they can easily be adapted to. The Paragon’s smaller nib feels a little more natural, and the section is sloped for comfort. The pen feels just a little more comfortable in my fingers than the others. Despite being much heavier, it is well-balanced, but only with the cap unposted. It’s difficult to get the cap posted at all because of the facets, and it slips off easily. The facets do, however, make the pen stand out, and they catch the light well.

post-5233-1201300073_thumb.jpg

Filling system:

Montblanc 149 9/10

Omas Paragon 6/10

Pelikan m1000 10/10

All three pens are filled using the piston mechanism, the king of all filling mechanisms. They are easy to use and have a good capacity, and are made of metal in these three pens. The 149 was a little stiff, even stiffer than the notorious Lamy 2000 piston. The rubber plunger has a kind of cone shape instead of a flat disc, which means that ink gets stuck around the edges, an unnecessary annoyance. But the 149 does have my favorite ink-viewing window, or rather, windows. It’s transparent without looking cheap. Pelikan had a slightly different approach: they darkened the ink window so as not to disturb the flow of the design, but allow ink readings if the pen was held up to the light. This system seems to work well, too, although it is slightly harder to read. The green color is much darker than the green that Pelikan uses on the m200. Of course, Pelikan’s piston mechanism is unrivaled in smoothness. Pelikan makes the hands-down best filling mechanism I know of. The Paragon also contains a smooth piston mechanism, which I understand is a major upgrade from the previous version of the pen. It’s still not as smooth as the Pelikan filler. And here is my biggest problem with the Paragon: there is no ink window! I don’t know how I’m supposed to know how much ink I have left. I can’t twist the piston until I see ink in the feeds to check, because this particular pen has a tendency to spit ink and bubbles out of the nib’s breather hole. I don’t see why it would have been such a big problem to put in an ink window. The designers at Omas had a chance at a fresh start with the advent of a redesign of their flagship model, and they didn’t see fit to correct such an annoying problem. This is especially important because when the ink is about to run out for this particular pen, maybe because of the wide line size, the flow goes from full blast to completely dry in a few sentences.

post-5233-1201300141_thumb.jpg

Nib: Writing feel

Montblanc 149 7/10

Omas Paragon 9/10

Pelikan m1000 9/10

Here is arguably the most important characteristic of the pen, the way it writes. The three pens tested all had different nib widths, but the Pelikan fine and Montblanc extra-fine write about the same line. The extra-fine I got on the 149 felt a little wide, so I asked a sales rep about it, and he said that I could get a finer extra-fine, but it would be scratchy. Being newer to pens at that time, I wondered what exactly he meant by a finer extra-fine. It seemed to me that one size meant a certain size for all nibs labeled so, and anything else was bad quality control. But I decided to keep what seemed at the time to be an incredibly wide nib, a decision I am glad of now. I have started to like broader nibs over time, and these three pens show that progression, with the broadest nibs being my most recent acquisitions. Whether the reason I like broader nibs now is because I’ve gotten more used to thick lines, or because I’ve found out how much easier it is to write a two-page journal assignment with a broader nib, I’m not exactly sure. All of these nibs are smooth; my grading in this area is harsh because I know that there’s always the possibility for a better nib. The 149 seems below average for a fine writing instrument. It’s not really scratchy, but the nib just feels crude for some reason. Nib flex is virtually nonexistent. The Pelikan is smooth, with just a little bit of feedback. And it’s flexible, the most of any pen I have. This nib is truly a pleasure to write with. The Paragon nib is the smoothest of any nib I have, but this is not so much of a feat considering its broad line. The nib glides across the paper, drifts so effortlessly that I don’t even feel the paper’s existence. It is certainly a well-made nib, and also features some nib flex. But the flex and line variation are somewhat less impressive compared to that of the Pelikan. I imagine that the Pelikan nib would be a little smoother in medium size, too, but the smoothness of the Omas is still incredible. They seem to have gotten the most out of the line thickness. The Paragon currently has both the broadest and smoothest nib in my collection, and I anticipate a lot of use out of it.

post-5233-1201300272_thumb.jpg

Nib: other (as the nib is the heart and soul of the pen, I feel that one category wouldn’t quite justify the topic)

Montblanc 149 9/10

Omas Paragon 7/10

Pelikan m1000 9/10

The 149 nib is, without question, the most beautiful of the group. It is a massive, triple toned tribute to the essence and history of the fountain pen. It has a feed matched to appropriate size, and a very conspicuous iridium tip that glimmers when I write with the pen. The two problems I can level against the nib are that it cannot be unscrewed and replaced, and that it is not labeled with the point size. Considering the experience I had earlier with the “finer extra-fine,” I wonder if Montblanc even knows the nib size, or if they just churn out a large quantity of nibs and then categorize them to the closest size. Pelikan provides a fine counterargument to the Montblanc nib, with a great feed and sophisticated-looking nib. It doesn’t have quite the decadent feel of the Montblanc nib, but it can be unscrewed from the barrel, and it has the size clearly labeled. The Paragon nib doesn’t seem to fit in with these aforementioned behemoths. Apparently, Omas saw fit to provide their largest pen with just a normal-sized nib. It works fine, and isn’t a noticeable detractor, but to compete with the other big pens, I think a big nib is necessary. The 149 and m1000 have nibs of identical length, just shy of one and one eighth inches each. The Omas nib is just under one inch. It can be unscrewed (and even has an o-ring, which is nice), and has the nib size labeled in miniscule print on the side of the nib. It doesn’t unscrew as well as the m1000 nib, but I don’t anticipate having to take out the nib very often anyway. The Omas also has a hand-cut ebonite feed, a feature that sounded interesting. But having the pen now, I have to say that I think this particular job is better left to the machines. The feed is shallow, and therefore cannot hold as much ink. In addition, you can’t see how much ink is in the feed because the slits are cut in the side, not the bottom, and the cuts are a little lopsided. The feed is also misaligned with the nib in my case, and the plating is off. It doesn’t look like an advanced feed at all, the part that is inside the pen is just a solid block. Probably because of this, when the ink gets low, it starts to seep out at the foot of the grip when the pen is capped.

post-5233-1201300352_thumb.jpg

Other:

Montblanc 149 10/10

Omas Paragon 7/10

Pelikan m1000 7/10

One important thing to remember about Montblanc is that when you buy one of their pens, you’re actually buying more than just that pen. Montblanc has spent much of their money on advertising, so as to make the pen you buy from them recognizable. That’s not so important to me, but Montblanc pens have two more advantages: customer service, and resale value. Montblanc pens are unique in how well they hold their value: the list price of mine jumped over a hundred dollars in the course of little more than a year (this is not common, though, usually the price increases are more moderate). And although World Lux did not stock the extra-fine nib I wanted, I was able to bring the pen in to one of the many Montblanc stores spread across the world and get it changed free of charge (this only works if you buy from an authorized dealer). I can’t think of another pen brand that you can just bring in to a nearby store, unless you live next to the factory that makes the pens. And the 149 is also classic design that’s been around for a while, another nice attribute that cannot be accounted for in the other categories. In this category, the Montblanc really shines. The Omas is nice because of the 12-sided barrel, and I like the concept of it being based on the classic Doric Column. The Pelikan gets favorable marks here, too, because they don’t require authorized dealers to conceal their prices, a sales tactic adopted by both the other two companies that I find annoying. It also makes ordering a little more difficult. It’s good to see that Pelikan has not bought into the marketing, and instead focuses on simply building a good pen.

post-5233-1201300424_thumb.jpg

Value:

Montblanc 149 8/10

Omas Paragon 6/10

Pelikan m1000 10/10

When I bought these pens, the 149, m1000, and Paragon had list prices of $585, $625, and $650, respectively. At the time of this writing, Montblanc has raised its list price to a $720, if I’m not mistaken, and the Omas Paragon is up to $700. I don’t believe that Pelikan has raised its prices. The Paragon and 149 can be found with some moderate price reductions from authorized dealers, but the m1000 is often heavily discounted, usually to the $400-$500 range. I was able to get one for $316 including shipping from Melpens, one of two popular Malaysian sellers with great prices on Pelikans (the other being Pengallery, which I have also bought from). I got the 149 for $465 with free shipping from World Lux, and the Paragon was on clearance from Swisher Pens for a total of $400.25. Those were the cheapest prices I could find from reputable dealers at the time, and of course no affiliation to any of the abovementioned vendors.

The Pelikan m1000 is probably the best buy out of all my pens. It has everything you would need in a fountain pen without anything extra. The m1000 is designed purely for being used. It is one of the best combinations of price and quality available; it has all the hallmarks of a great pen (smooth nib, good piston filler, large size, good build) without any unneeded jewelry or scarcity due to limited production. I’ve found that the Montblanc, although often criticized, is not as bad of a value as it is made out to be. Granted, the prices on some other Montblanc models seem a little ridiculous, but the price they charge for an oversized flagship piston filler with an 18k gold nib doesn’t seem as far-fetched. Especially when you consider all the pen companies that have placed their models in the same price range, but have neither the reputation nor the customer service that Montblanc has. The Omas is one such example; they offer only the pen with no extras, and yet they charge similarly to Montblanc. It seems that they are trying to emulate the exclusivity of Montblanc, but I only see them reflecting the most aggravating characteristics. Omas has no name among non-pen collectors, but they persist with their snob advertising, fashion image, and of course, designer prices. The Omas, at its full asking price, and even most of its discount prices, is priced far above what it should be. Considering the small nib, minimalist design, and poorer craftsmanship, it does not belong in this price range. The stylish design and image, impressive packaging, and sterling silver grip can only justify a moderate price hike, if any, over that of the Pelikan, in my opinion.

Final total:

Montblanc 149 8.857/10

Omas Paragon 7.714/10

Pelikan m1000 9.286/10

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tsujigiri

• georges zaslavsky

• omasfan

• kazoolaw

Other things:

Presentation:

Montblanc 149 7/10

Omas Paragon 8/10

Pelikan m1000 5/10

The Paragon comes in a huge box with cleaning cloth, ink, warranty, and pen case. The 149 has a hinged box with an ink bottle. Apparently, m1000’s now come with ink bottles as well, but mine came alone in a box that is far too small for the pen.

Ink:

Montblanc 149 7/10

Omas Paragon 9/10

Pelikan m1000 10/10

Pelikan and Omas ink is a nice, deep black, whereas the Montblanc ink seemed watery and translucent. Pelikan ink is more widely available and is also sold under the Cross brand name. The company has been making ink longer than either of the other two have existed, and their long tradition shows.

Pen Cases:

Montblanc 149 10/10

Omas Paragon 5/10

Pelikan m1000 7/10

The Montblanc Sienna pen case is a beautiful creation, complete with star logo. It has a size that nicely accommodates the massive 149, and the leather is of top craftsmanship. It is stiff, smooth, and durable. The Pelikan case is too small for the m1000, although it does hold it. It is obviously meant for Pelikan’s smaller pens. The leather is average quality, and is a little rough, and very soft. The Omas case fits the pen nicely, but it is open-ended, so the pen can fall out. I’m not even sure if it’s made of real leather. But considering that the Montblanc case retails for about $100, the Pelikan for $20, and the Omas comes free with the pen, the differences in quality are very understandable.

Edited by Tsujigiri

This is a good, well presented review. Thank you.

In another thread, I just commented about liking oversized pens for some issues I have with my writing hand. I have several examples each of the 149 and M-1000 and I love both models. For me, the Omas "Paragon" is a moot issue since it has a metal section. I just cannot get a good grip on metal sections, and they feel very uncomfortable to me. I understand I am no doubt missing the experience of some good pens, but I can live with my choice.

I find your response to the 149 and M-1000 to be very close to my own. One of the few places we differ is the "Writing Feel." I find my 149's to write as smoothly and comfortably as my M-1000's. I would give both pen models at least a 9/10. It just might be that you have a 149 nib that needs some correcting or even an exchange.

In both pen models, I love the huge, beautiful nibs! I feel I am more drawing my letters than actually writing, and I love that sensation. My O/S Delta Dolce Vita and Dani Densho and Takumi are the only other pens that come close to that feel. If you might be looking for O/S pens to try in the future, I can highly recommend these last three from personal experience.

Edited by FrankB

A most informative and well thought out review. Stuff like this is always welcome and appreciated. Thank you. I like how you've approached each of these big pens from a user consumer's point of view and not necessarily from someone the marketing departments of each of these brands may have thought of. The exception is the Pelikan, which has remained mostly free from marketing hype.

I find the comment about build quality on the 149 unusual in that I have found the pen to be solid and very well contructed in both fit and finish. I do agree the resin is far too brittle having changed caps at least twice on two other 149s because of cracks I made dropping them. Also, the one problem I find is the cap doesn't necessarily align well once screwed with the cap on. If you push the cap off-center it will wiggle and this is not something to do often or at all...just an observation. And yes, the piston is not as easy to move as the M1000 which I think is a great model for how to do it right.

I'm not familiar with the new Paragon but find it a bit of a letdown in that it tends to represent fewer of the design and writing qualities established in the earlier model. Still, if you like big pens I suppose you could do a lot worse.

Thanks and best wishes for more reviews like this.

Thank you for your comments.

FrankB: I've found that on some paper, the Montblanc does write just as well, but on many occasions, the Pelikan is smoother. But it could be a nib problem. Either way, I'm not complaining, because all three of these pens are excellent in every way. Thanks for the suggestions, I had been considering those pens, but either couldn't find them in the case of the Danitrio's, or didn't like the filling system in the case of the Dolcevita. But now that I know that the Delta can be used as an eyedropper, it's definitely in my considerations. I'll have to PM winedoc for the Danitrio someday, too. I've also been thinking about the Senator President (I think it's called?). It seems comparable, but hasn't gotten that much attention. I have to say that metal sections don't bother me that much, and I like the look, but the Paragon really could lose some weight, perhaps it would have been better without it.

Brian: Yes, I have the exact same problem of the cap not fitting! My father's older 149 has no such problem. The build quality is reasonably good, but the cap just gives the feeling that it wants to scrape up the ink windows whenever I put it on or off, and I don't get that sense with the Pelikan. Both pens, however, do show some scratch marks over the ink windows with time. I guess that by build quality, I wanted to show that the Pelikan really feels like it's a far more expensive pen, through both solid construction and attention to detail. I didn't get as much of that feeling from the other two pens, even though they are well-made by most standards. I think a lot of people have been disappointed by Omas' move towards style and away from a cult status built on function. I wanted to show that the Paragon is more style-oriented in this review, because it looks like a fantastic pen from the advertising and display cases, but I found it to be less than I expected in terms of function. I don't have the previous model of Paragon for comparison, but I think that the new one is more comparable to these other two pens. Not that that's so much of an improvement, as it would have been nice to have a design as timeless as the older model. The two models of Paragon seem more like two completely different pens to me.

It is obvious this is your first review because the Mont Blanc 149 should have won this hands down.Just kidding :ltcapd:

Thank you for the interesting and informative review.

I have the old style Paragon and I am not very impressed with the new one but it didnt surprised me the Paragon nib is the best.My Paragon nib is very simply the best nib I ever used and glad to see the new model is still good at that.

As for the M1000,I plan to get me one of those someday but not in black,anything but black.

My MB 149 is my queen and felt bad for your 149,are you sure your 149 isnt a fake ? just kidding again :ltcapd:

Respect to all

Wow! What a great review -- well conceived and executed. Thanks.

I've got a Paragon on the way and would already have a Pelikan 1000, if it came with rhodium or silver trim.

That was a really great review! Very well balanced and informative.

I need to start scraping my pennies together and save up for an M1000 . . .

"Thus Ar-Pharazôn, King of the Land of the Star, grew to the mightiest tyrant

that had yet been in the world since the reign of Morgoth . . ."

— J.R.R. Tolkien, Akallabêth —

Excellent review. I own already two vintage MB149 and the New Arte Italiana. Very good pens. I might consider the purchase of a m1000 because my m800 gives me excellent service.

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

Excellent review--should be kept in the archives or to penna as a classic review of flagship models!

I find my impression of my paragon to be very close to yours. Everything feels a bit loose on it but the nib is splendid beyond words. I have a F nib of the arco version and to add as a comparative note to your B nib, the F nib offers some flex and tactility coupled with smoothness.

Always wanted a 149 as my 'big' pen but strangely I have been repelled by the mystique of MB and more drawn towards the anonymity of Omas.

Perhaps you can do a comparison on how these pens look on an ordinary square shirt pocket...I am assuming that none of these flagship models would fit but I do have ONE shirt that can hold my paragon comfortably.

AAA

Very nice review!

I don't have experience with Omas pens, but I do with Pelikan and Montblanc pens. Like you already say, the MB149 and M1000 are comparable in build quality and ergonomics, but the Montblancs are overpriced (in my opinion). I am very fond of Pelikan pens (also of vintage MB's) but I prefer the smaller pens. The M400 has the perfect size for me.

Thank you for a very thoughtful review of three flagship pens.

It would be interesting to substitute the classic Paragon for the 'new' design. For example, although not as large, the nib appears proportionate on the slimmer classic, which also lacks the metal section.

It appears that some of the differences in our experiences in using 149s are dependent on the particular pen we own. Some people have brittleness problems, which I've never had. My 149 was tweaked by Richard Binder as it was purchased used. The nib has held up well in the several years since the adjustment.

The Paragons I have are both celluloid. One has a custom nib, the other a factory medium. They are models of consistency. The custom is from John Mottishaw, so the nib and feed are perfect.

I've only owned one modern Pelikan, a 600, which I found crushingly boring. Having said that, big Pels seem to have the most consistent quality out of the box.

Thanks again, and the pictures were nicely coordinated to the text.

gary

Edited by gary

Very interesting review! Well done!

Here are a couple of comments:

the Pelikan has, in my view, the best customer service, at least here in North America (Chartpak). Nothing like the hassle that you might encounter with MB or Omas. Plus, they are generous and normally don't charge you extra as does MB often enough.

One big quibble with the M1000 (which I own as the only one among the three pens presented here): the piston doesn't hold as much ink as it could. They didn't harness the huge barrel. In sum, the Pelikan holds less ink than the Omas for sure and, I assume, than the MB 149 too.

Also, I wouldn't necessarily call the M1000's nib "flexible" but rather springy. It's not true flex in my opinion. Other than that, it's a superior writer.

A great review! I'm glad I'm not the only one who mentally groups these three pens together as "flagship" pens. I store my 149, M1000, and Paragon side by side in my pen case, because I view the three as interchangeable.

I also agree with your assessment that the M1000 outperforms the other two pens and is a better buy for the money, with the 149 edging out the Paragon for second place.

If I were to add a fourth pen to this group, it would be the ST Dupont Orpheo in black lacquer with gold trim. Unlike the three plastic pens reviewed here, it is a heavier, metal pen, but most of its other characteristics are comparable. It would, in my opinion, score very well on the beauty of its lacquer finish, the smoothness of its nib, its overall workmanship, and its value for the money. (Of course, it isn't a flagship, as it is the low end rather than the high end of ST Dupont's Orpheo line.)

Edited by CharlieB

CharlieB

"The moment he opened the refrigerator, he saw it. Caponata! Fragrant, colorful, abundant, it filled an entire soup dish, enough for at least four people.... The notes of the triumphal march of Aida came spontaneously, naturally, to his lips." -- Andrea Camilleri, Excursion to Tindari, p. 212

A lot of thought and effort obviously went into this review. Well done, it was a brilliant read. Thanks for taking the time.

... the ST Dupont Orpheo in black lacquer with gold trim. ... Of course, it isn't a flagship, as it is the low end rather than the high end of ST Dupont's Orpheo line.)

Charlie, I think adducing the Orpheo here is absolutely correct. And any version of the Orpheo might be considered their flagship as the only difference between your black lacquer and, say, the Fifth Avenue edition, is the exterior. The interior features (such as basic pen body, feed, nib etc...) are identic. :thumbup: Other than missing a piston filler, I think the Orpheo can hold a candle to Pel., MB, and Omas and could definitely be added to the triumvirate reviewed here.

A great review..

my 0.02c- I own several MB 149s from the 60s and 70s. They have been performing flawlessly and other than regrinding their nibs by RB, they have not required any servicing. I also have a Pel M1000 - my own idiosyncratic issues with it are-

- the taper of the nib section makes it difficult for me to hold the pen for extended amount of time. Hence, these days I most use it for occasional note taking.

- I don't like the trim ring at the end which has the inherent risk of getting eroded by the constant exposure to the ink

- the ink capacity is much less than the 149(2.2 vs 2.9 as per John M.), which is a real shame.

Otherwise it is a wonderful pen, very solidly built and the next best piston action second only to my Aurora 88.

Again congratulations for the the wonderful and very objective review.

Edited by mdblue

Thanks for all the feedback!

lecorbusier- It seems that the 149 fits into pockets the best, but the clip is the most unruly and difficult to clip on. I'd post a picture, but unfortunately I've used up all my 4.88mb. I probably should have resized the pictures more so I'd be able to fit in ones of the packaging.

Very interesting review! Well done!

Here are a couple of comments:

the Pelikan has, in my view, the best customer service, at least here in North America (Chartpak). Nothing like the hassle that you might encounter with MB or Omas. Plus, they are generous and normally don't charge you extra as does MB often enough.

One big quibble with the M1000 (which I own as the only one among the three pens presented here): the piston doesn't hold as much ink as it could. They didn't harness the huge barrel. In sum, the Pelikan holds less ink than the Omas for sure and, I assume, than the MB 149 too.

Also, I wouldn't necessarily call the M1000's nib "flexible" but rather springy. It's not true flex in my opinion. Other than that, it's a superior writer.

Thank you for that insight. I've never come close to testing Pelikan's customer support (which says something about their pens), but it's good to know that they have a good system in place. I haven't really noticed the small ink capacity, it's seemed to work fine for me. In my case, the Paragon is the shortest-lasting because of the wider nib. But I held the m1000 and 149 up to the light, and it appears that Pelikan looses ink capacity through a smaller diameter of the ink chamber, because the plunger extends further back into the barrel than the 149 one does. It's the most flexible nib that I have, but yes, I'm sure it's not very flexible compared to vintage pens.

One more thing I forgot to mention: I've found that the Pelikan is the easiest to clean after inkings, the other two pens seem to get ink stuck in them that is more difficult to flush out.

Interesting idea with the Orpheo, I hadn't considered it because it wasn't piston filled and seemed like a bad value. But if it is well-made as you say, I'll have to look further into it.

I've heard some people remark that they don't like the Pelikan styling in some other threads, too. But I'd encourage people to look at one in person, because it really is more impressive than it seems. Something about the sturdy, solid heft is really reassuring, and the gold trim is much richer than that of the 149. Gary- have you looked at the 1000 model in person? If I recall correctly, the 600 has a plastic filling mechanism instead of a brass one, which may have contributed to your disappointment. I had initially not wanted to buy an m1000 because I thought it would just be a bigger version of the m200, but when I got it, I found that it was much more than that.

Very valid point about the trim ring. I like the way it looks, but the corrosion problem is a little disconcerting. I'm hoping that I can keep it clean of ink, at least the pen doesn't have a tendency to bleed ink out in the cap. In fact, I don't recall ever finding ink on the tip of the grip, that only happens with the other two pens.

I had initially not wanted to buy an m1000 because I thought it would just be a bigger version of the m200, but when I got it, I found that it was much more than that.

You may well be right. I've not used a 1000. I was referring to the writing experience, as I actually think the green stripe barrels on Pels is classic.

gary