Review of Michel Perchin MP5 Blue Mystic

AKAGodSent

So, this is my first review. After reading a bunch of the reviews here I was persuaded to buy quite a few pens so I figure I should return the favor. But I have to say that this pen might not be something everyone can afford! This review comes with a back story so bare with me...or just skip down to where it says REVIEW. So, heading off to the Fountain Pen Expo on Saturday, I wasn't expecting to get much of anything, more so I went because of my father. I wanted him to buy a nice pen that he'd treasure for a while and use for a looong time to come. I ended up buying him two pens, although they were VERY cheap compared to the MP5. While we were trying out as much as we could I happened to stop by OMAS and right next to them was Michel Perchin. The pens looked nice and I figured why not, so I tried an MP5 Yellow and fell in love. I gave it to my father and he could also sense that the pen was something a little more than 'ordinary.' We inquired about which pens were the cheapest and came away saying $750 was just a bit too much for us. Eventually my father pulled me over to the side and said "Listen, me and your mom were going to give you some money for your Graduation, New Years, etc, if you really want I'll buy this pen for you." Somehow I had a feeling he'd say this as I know his moods, attitude, face expressions, but I was still surprised by the gesture. Walking over to the Perchin dealer we asked how much was the pen we had originally tried, the MP5 turned out to be more than the $750 we wanted to spend. But the dealer said that ALL the nibs were the same so we figured why not, we bought the executive. Getting home my mother already disliked it saying I'd probably return it sometime soon, how right she was! Not that I disliked it but the converter wouldn't fill up! I tried half a dozen times and two different inks and nothing! I finally decided that I wanted the MP5, I wanted to go along with my initial instinct and this was the pen for me! They still weren't convinced and eventually I agreed to give back a Montegrappa NeroUno which was more than enough to solve the difference in price. Going to the store today I wanted to ask them to give me the same price for the pen that they had on Saturday at the expo, the regular price they sell it for was almost 80 dollars more. They said no problem and right now I am the proud new owner of a Michel Perchin MP5 Blue Mystic :D. I'll do the review on a 1-5 system.

REVIEW

Looks 5 out of 5.

The Pen is gorgeous. It's body is perfectly smooth with waves of blue throughout. The cap and bottom are black and if the light hits it at the right angle...well hard to describe but you'll see in the pictures. First time I saw it I was in love!

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b19/akagodsent/IMG_0598.jpg

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b19/akagodsent/IMG_0599.jpg

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b19/akagodsent/IMG_0600.jpg

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b19/akagodsent/IMG_0601.jpg

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b19/akagodsent/IMG_0602.jpg

Nib: 5 out of 5.

This is what attracted me to the pen in the first place! As I wrote with it I felt how smooth it was, with almost no pressure at all it put down a nice medium sized thick line every time, no skipping at all. It was PERFECT. It is two tone 18k Gold and the best nib I've ever written with by far. The grip is made out of the same material as the cap and bottom of the pen, so you can see it here as well. It pretty much glitters :).

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b19/akagodsent/IMG_0603.jpg

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b19/akagodsent/IMG_0604.jpg

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b19/akagodsent/IMG_0605.jpg

Size: 5 out of 5.

It is comparable to the Visconti Black Storm LE and it is a bit smaller than a 1911 sailor although definitely heavier which is something that I like a lot about this pen. You can also see a sample of the type of line it puts down with my favorite ink for this pen, Aurora Blue. Here you have it next to the Black Storm and the 1911 Sailor, for comparison.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b19/akagodsent/IMG_0611.jpg

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b19/akagodsent/IMG_0612.jpg

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b19/akagodsent/IMG_0613.jpg

Cap: 5 out of 5.

I simply like everything about this pen :). The cap is wider than the pen and has a snake for the clip with the initials MP on it and a band going around the bottom of the cap with Michel Perchin with an elephant on top.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b19/akagodsent/IMG_0610.jpg

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b19/akagodsent/IMG_0609.jpg

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b19/akagodsent/IMG_0608.jpg

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b19/akagodsent/IMG_0607.jpg

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b19/akagodsent/IMG_0606.jpg

Price: 4 out of 5.

Well, what can I say? I think it's a bit on the expensive side, if it was priced closer to a Mont Blanc Limited Edition from their writers series (Woolf, Kafka, etc) in the $700 range or maybe even $800 this pen would have all 5's from me. But over 1,000 is a bit much in my opinion, although as with all Perchin pens this is a Limited Edition with only 188 being made. In the last picture I think the 'glittery' part of the pen came out the best. I apologize if this review isn't up to the standards of others :(. I'm simply not an expert in all this and only go on intuition and what I like when choosing a pen!

Edited by AKAGodSent

“It is forbidden to kill; therefore all murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets.” Voltaire

"'The French Soldier,' pronounced Rostopchin, 'has to be incited to battle by high-sounding phrases; the German must have it logically proved to him that it is more dangerous to run away than to advance; but the Russian soldier has to be held back, and urged to go slowly!'" War and Peace

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• AKAGodSent

• yachtsilverswan

• omasfan

• greencobra

I knew you were going back to get the 5!! :roflmho: I Could tell just by how you wrote about seeing it at the expo in another post. Good thing you did, you'd be thinking about it forever. Life has too many "could of & should of" situations.

Nice review, to the point. And nice, detailed photos. I've always been drawn to the Perchins, heck, I'm drawn to everything, but these are hansome looking pens. Some of the work looks in pictures like cloisonné, I can't tell, I've never seen any in person. I hope you enjoy it, Congrats.

Edited by greencobra

JELL-O, IT'S WHATS FOR DINNER!

I knew you were going back to get the 5!! :roflmho: I Could tell just by how you wrote about seeing it at the expo in another post. Good thing you did, you'd be thinking about it forever. Life has too many "could of & should of" situations.

Nice review, to the point. And nice, detailed photos. I've always been drawn to the Perchins, heck, I'm drawn to everything, but these are hansome looking pens. Some of the work looks in pictures like cloisonné, I can't tell, I've never seen any in person. I hope you enjoy it, Congrats.

:embarrassed_smile: It's true, I pretty much had my mind made up! Glad you liked the review and pictures!

“It is forbidden to kill; therefore all murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets.” Voltaire

"'The French Soldier,' pronounced Rostopchin, 'has to be incited to battle by high-sounding phrases; the German must have it logically proved to him that it is more dangerous to run away than to advance; but the Russian soldier has to be held back, and urged to go slowly!'" War and Peace

Well Yan what can I say-I ENVY YOU :puddle: .

This is truly an amazing pen.

I think it is colourful but not overly flashy.Very nice buy.

One day we must meet and I have to see if your nib is better then my Paragon

Edited by goodguy

Respect to all

Well Yan what can I say-I ENVY YOU :puddle: .

This is truly an amazing pen.

I think it is colourful but not overly flashy.Very nice buy.

One day we must meet and I have to see if your nib is better then my Paragon

One day :). Although I don't know if you'd like it, from what I understand you like to have feedback from the pen, so perhaps this one might not be for you.

Edited by AKAGodSent

OK. Now the price tag makes sense!

Great review, it looks like a perfect writer and is stunning to look at as well.

I won't say I'm envious.

But I am.

It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of nothing at all...

Sadly, with this purchase I am restricted to more or less 1 new pen a year :(.

That is a lovely pen. It surely is not cheap, but then sometimes one must splurge some money for the things one really wants.

I assume, the barrel is sterling silver? I love the enamel. Is it safe to say that the coating is extremely durable and scratch-resistant, comparable to Dupont's Chinese lacquer? (so I have heard)

The only thing that would probably turn me off this pen is the weight that it carries as a full-metal pen. I love my Dupont, but I find myself using it less because of the weight. Especially for longer stretches of writing, I prefer very light pens.

That is a lovely pen. It surely is not cheap, but then sometimes one must splurge some money for the things one really wants.

I assume, the barrel is sterling silver? I love the enamel. Is it safe to say that the coating is extremely durable and scratch-resistant, comparable to Dupont's Chinese lacquer? (so I have heard)

The only thing that would probably turn me off this pen is the weight that it carries as a full-metal pen. I love my Dupont, but I find myself using it less because of the weight. Especially for longer stretches of writing, I prefer very light pens.

In terms of weight it is more or less the same as the Visconti Black Storm LE. I actually enjoy heavy pens although I am partial to the Aurora 88 which I thought was very light. But, it'll probably be a few years before I can get it :crybaby:

wow-nice pen,just make sure you buy yourself a nice leather pouch for that beauty!

Lamy 2000-Lamy Vista-Visconti Van Gogh Maxi Tortoise Demonstrator-Pilot Vanishing Point Black Carbonesque-1947 Parker 51 Vacumatic Cedar Blue Double Jewel-Aurora Optima Black Chrome Cursive Italic-Waterman Hemisphere Metallic Blue-Sheaffer Targa-Conway Stewart CS475

wow-nice pen,just make sure you buy yourself a nice leather pouch for that beauty!

You read my mind...would you have any recommendations??

Very nice blue colour and pretty pen.A bit hefty in price,like you have brought out.But being an LE makes that a better sacrifice.

Thanks for the review.

Jim

Very nice blue colour and pretty pen.A bit hefty in price,like you have brought out.But being an LE makes that a better sacrifice.

Thanks for the review.

Jim

You are welcome. My next quest will be to find the 'perfect' paper for this pen! The executive was limited to 888 pens, I believe, so this is 'more' of a limited edition. What I really like though is that, as I stated, ALL of their pens have the SAME nibs. $750 or $50,000!

:puddle: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :puddle:

What a beauty.

The key is to use it every single day. No "saving" it, no only writing "important" things with it. No, this must now be your daily writer.

Congratulations. I'm glad you went back for it. I could tell you were in lust. :cloud9: Now you won't kick yourself saying, "If only..."

:puddle: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :puddle:

What a beauty.

The key is to use it every single day. No "saving" it, no only writing "important" things with it. No, this must now be your daily writer.

Congratulations. I'm glad you went back for it. I could tell you were in lust. :cloud9: Now you won't kick yourself saying, "If only..."

Exactly, and since I got it in M I can always get it resized to an F in the future, although I love it as is :D

Evening AKA -

Congrats on the Michel Perchin! The guilloche and enameling work of these pens is just stunning - like the pens are lit from within. They just glow. For me, this would be a dress pen - slipped into my suitcoat pocket, or tucked diagonally into my starched shirt between the second and third buttons, just peaking out from the edge of my necktie (or showing counterpoint to one of my bowties). This pen would see plenty of action at home, but it would not likely be the daily office carry. The odds over time of loss or accident would be too great.

Did you know David Oscarson worked for Michel Perchin, before launching his own high end label? I like David Oscarson's new Valhalla line - I think his Thor pen is destined for my coat pocket.

As far as price, you know that paying for quality only hurts once - while settling and compromise just spin cycles of repeated regret. Objects of artisan quality will stay with you your entire life. The mass produced disposable alternatives are just that - disposable.

You know, part of being in your twenties is discovering the best the world can offer you. If you are smart, and it appears that you are, you will use your education and your drive to make a productive and happy life for yourself. Then you may be able to reward the accomplishments of your own family and friends and colleagues with tokens that will remind them of you each and every time they use your gift. Each and every time you uncap the MP5, you will remember the afternoon you and your father spent together trying out fountain pens in New York.

I am interested to know whether you also saw and test-drove another Michel Perchin pen I have been drooling over - the Michel Perchin Blue Serpent. I saw you like the Medium nib - I am a Bold guy (preferring the descriptor Bold to the vaguely sexist Broad).

Like you, I am fond of a heavier pen - words should have weight and so should the instruments that lay them down. Now you just have to find some occasions and some words worthy of this piece.

Congrats again. You should consider sending your new toy to the preeminent nibmeister Richard Binder for a custom ground cursive italic nib. Take your Michel Perchin to the New York Pen Show next year and reserve some of Mr. Binder's time. He'll watch how you write and modify your nib to lay down a more expressive wet line. Then your MP5 will truly be one of a kind - crafted just for your hand.

Have fun!

-Ray

Ray

Atlanta, Georgia

Pilot Namiki Vanishing Point with Richard Binder ItaliFine 0.9mm/F Nib

Faber Castell's Porsche Design with Gold & Stainless Mesh in Binderized CI Broad nib

Visconti LE Divina Proporzione in Gold with Binderized CI nib

David Oscarson Valhalla in gray (Thor) with Broad Binderized CI nib

Michel Perchin LE Blue Serpent (reviewed) with Binderized CI nib

Montblanc 149 in Medium Binderized CI nib

Montblanc Pope Julius II 888 Edition (reviewed) in Bold Binderized CI nib

Evening AKA -

Congrats on the Michel Perchin! The guilloche and enameling work of these pens is just stunning - like the pens are lit from within. They just glow. For me, this would be a dress pen - slipped into my suitcoat pocket, or tucked diagonally into my starched shirt between the second and third buttons, just peaking out from the edge of my necktie (or showing counterpoint to one of my bowties). This pen would see plenty of action at home, but it would not likely be the daily office carry. The odds over time of loss or accident would be too great.

I'll have to wait until I start wearing suits and shirts then :). But it does have an amazing look to it and feel which I immediately loved.

Did you know David Oscarson worked for Michel Perchin, before launching his own high end label? I like David Oscarson's new Valhalla line - I think his Thor pen is destined for my coat pocket.

I did not, I'm new to the whole Fountain Pen 'scene' but i did try a David Oscarson as well, it reminded me very much of the Perchin! The salesman said all of them retail for $4,500!

As far as price, you know that paying for quality only hurts once - while settling and compromise just spin cycles of repeated regret. Objects of artisan quality will stay with you your entire life. The mass produced disposable alternatives are just that - disposable.

You know, part of being in your twenties is discovering the best the world can offer you. If you are smart, and it appears that you are, you will use your education and your drive to make a productive and happy life for yourself. Then you may be able to reward the accomplishments of your own family and friends and colleagues with tokens that will remind them of you each and every time they use your gift. Each and every time you uncap the MP5, you will remember the afternoon you and your father spent together trying out fountain pens in New York.

That's actually an excellent point :). I hope to eventually take my grandfather to FPH as well, although I doubt he'll want to buy one, he's even more stubborn than my father! I agreed with my father to limit my future buying to one pen a year, so I'll be sure to mark special occasions with future purchases as well :).

I am interested to know whether you also saw and test-drove another Michel Perchin pen I have been drooling over - the Michel Perchin Blue Serpent. I saw you like the Medium nib - I am a Bold guy (preferring the descriptor Bold to the vaguely sexist Broad).

Afraid not, it was not one of the pens on display!

Like you, I am fond of a heavier pen - words should have weight and so should the instruments that lay them down. Now you just have to find some occasions and some words worthy of this piece.

Congrats again. You should consider sending your new toy to the preeminent nibmeister Richard Binder for a custom ground cursive italic nib. Take your Michel Perchin to the New York Pen Show next year and reserve some of Mr. Binder's time. He'll watch how you write and modify your nib to lay down a more expressive wet line. Then your MP5 will truly be one of a kind - crafted just for your hand.

Have fun!

-Ray

This is an idea, I'll definitely try to make the pen show next year, hopefully Richard will do wonders :). Thanks for your thoughts and suggestions!

Wow! That is a breath-takingly gorgeous pen, one to treasure for a lifetime. And your photos of it are wonderful, too. That first shot of just the nib would make a lovely (computer) wallpaper, y'know. :) Several of them would.

I'm glad you got a pen you will love so much.

Wow! That is a breath-takingly gorgeous pen, one to treasure for a lifetime. And your photos of it are wonderful, too. That first shot of just the nib would make a lovely (computer) wallpaper, y'know. :) Several of them would.

I'm glad you got a pen you will love so much.

Thanks, appreciate it! Since school is ending soon I'll try to do a few more reviews of the pens that I've accumulated in the past few months/years. And I'll be sure to take loooots of pictures :D

Did you know David Oscarson worked for Michel Perchin, before launching his own high end label?

I didn't know that but it makes so much sense! The enamel technique used on both brands is very similar. I find the Oscarson designs even a little more daring but their prices are pretty daunting.