Edison Pen, The Herald

penguinmaster

Edison Pen Herald Review

I finally received my Herald compliments of Brian Gray (Edison Pen Company) after having to wait over the Thanksgiving weekend to receive it. No Fault of Brian's there, I just decided like a real smart guy to have it shipped to work! I decided to go with the cappuccino acrylic on my Herald, and I think you'll find through this review I am not disappointed.

Fit/Finish – 10/10 – I'm gonna say it right now folks, every category here is going to get a 10/10, not out of loyalty, but it really deserves it. Either way, the fit and finish of this pen is superb. You can not appreciate how this pen looks in the material I chose until you see it in person, I honestly could stare for hours at it. Pictures do not do it justice. The cut and finishing Brian did really brings that out I think. Everything is real tight, doesn't move, and while you can see just one seam at the top where the clip goes in, you can't feel it, so I'm extremely happy.

Nib Performance- 10/10 – Once again, superb in every way. I chose to go with the steel basic nib on Brian's suggestion. I had wanted to go with the Bock nib, but he told me to wait and try one of his. I will say this pen writes as well if not better than all of my gold nibbed pens. It lays down a nice wet medium line, which I just love.

Filling System – I won't rate this, cartridge converter, works like every other one you've tried.

Overall Impressions of this pen -10/10 – Let me just say that this pen has surpassed every single expectation I had of it. It's a brilliantly simple design in a gorgeous material that I will never give up. One thing I did not realize is the size of this pen. It's huge, it's without a doubt the biggest pen I own, but amazingly comfortable in your hand. I don't know what else to say other than get one of these pens. You will NOT be disappointed. The service and craftsmanship is bar none the best I have seen.

I've included the photos Brian sent me which I already have posted, but for reference sake I'll do here as well. Unfortunately as said before, you have to see this pen to believe it.

Edited by MYU

My Site: Pens and Ink

Philip Hull Memories Scan

Looking for: ...

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• omasfan

• penguinmaster

• MarcShiman

• jonro

Top Posters In This Topic

THANKS! I have this same pen on order with Brian... really looking forward to the real thing.

John

That acrylic is a cream... ahh dream I mean. Gorgeous. How does the nib imprint read? Lovely pen in a lovely high-quality finish. The only thing I wouldn't like is the C/C filling system. Already have too many of those and am not a fan exactly beause of their little capacity.

But this pen just looks stunning. Can you point us to Brian's webpage? And if we may ask, what did you pay for the pen? And how long did it take from order to delivery?

What I especially like is that this is a pen that only you (and Aslan) own. Makes it very personal! Enjoy!

Edited by dupontfan

That acrylic is a cream... ahh dream I mean. Gorgeous. How does the nib imprint read? Lovely pen in a lovely high-quality finish. The only thing I wouldn't like is the C/C filling system. Already have too many of those and am not a fan exactly beause of their little capacity.

Wolfgang, me neither until I discovered the long Waterman cartridges that I fill up with a syringe.

Penguinmaster:

That is a very beautiful pen. Thanks for the review. I have mixed feelings with the Bock nibs: sometimes good, sometimes not so good. Enjoy!

sonia alvarez

fpn_1379481230__chinkinreduced.jpg

Brian's site is www.pencraftonline.com

I'm having him make me up an ebonite Herald. The Herald, as I understand it, was based on the Sailor KoP, which would explain the size of the pen. I found it to have a satisfying weight, not too light, but not overly heavy either.

I didn't take the steel nib - instead I had Brian acquire a Bock nib from John Mottishaw and before the nib left, Mottishaw added extra flex to it. The nib wound up costing more than the pen, but thats ok with me.

Hopefully I'll have the pen in the next day or two.

I just sent Brian an email about getting a pen. But I really can't decide between the Herald and the Beaumont. And do I want black or red ebony? And gold or steel nib? What about trim? Ahhh!

Should be fun :D

Beautiful pen, penguin! I love that color, and the clip is probably the best I've ever seen on a pen - very sleek. Is it nicely functional?

Edited by RyanL27

"I have striven not to laugh at human actions, not to weep at them, nor to hate them, but to understand them."

- Baruch Spinoza

Prices range between $200 and $120 for the different models/finishes on Brians webpage. I consider this really reasonable for what these pens seem to offer. I wished I hadn't just sworn to my girlfriend not to buy any more pens...

I already drooled over those pictures in the first thread you made, and I'd love to see more. Especially size comparisons—I know there are dimensions on Brian's site, but I'm a visual learner.

Acquiring a Menlo may be on my distant horizon. (curse my prohibitive budget!) Though I'm hoping that a wider variety of the acrylic/celluloid patterns will show up in the "sold pieces" gallery in the future, so I can get a sense of what material I'd like best. Those little swatches aren't particularly enlightening...just look at the Cappuccino swatch compared to penguinmaster's final product. :P

keeping an eye out for: a vintage ED with a battered body but a superflex+ nib...and more M640s. ;)

I will try to get some more pictures up soon. I seem to have misplaced my camera at the moment.

I paid 165 for it, 5 of that includes shipping though.

The clip is very functional. Keep in mind the length of this pen though. I definitely cannot stick it in my shirt pocket.

As for the price, I think it's extremely reasonable considering what you get. Next on my list I'm hoping for the grooved ebonite herald!!

My Site: Pens and Ink

Philip Hull Memories Scan

Looking for: ...