• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• nimrod

• HDoug

• AndyHayes

• tamburlaine

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wow. Great review -- great handwriting and illo too! Thanks.

Thanks, but surely you are being sarcastic about the handwriting. I write like I'm in 5th grade.

No, the handwriting is fine. You should see mine. I loved the illustration of the clip!

Thanks, but surely you are being sarcastic about the handwriting. I write like I'm in 5th grade.

Not at all. Your handwriting is very easy to read, and it's not an "imitation" of something. It can manage two vastly different writing systems (alphabetic and ideogrammatic). And illustrations. That's pretty much what it's all about.

Doug

Thanks, I really enjoyed that review. Recently I got a vintage Lamy 27n piston filler (Lamy's attempt at competing with the Parker "51" - the 27n being, in my opinion, the superior of the two, gasp!). Anyway, I tried to make the decision and sell my Lamy 2000 so that it may be superseded by the 27n and free up a bit of cash, but I couldn't do it... yay!

Your handwriting is anything but '5th grade' - I think I can see why you think that, because it is printed, but believe me (and HDoug) that it looks very mature, and as HDoug says it is very legible and neat.

I think the Lamy 2000 is going to make its way into my pen pouch today...

Publifhed According to the True Originall Copies

HI Thanks for the review. The Lamy 200 continues to intrigue me, as it has its advocates and detracters. Some day I will have to try one of these out. J

Some random stuff that didn't quite make it onto the single page that I allotted to myself:

- I like how the piston fill knob is so well integrated into the body of the pen. You can't even tell that it's there because you can't see the groove between it and the rest of the pen.

- It's awesome that you can remove the nib end of the pen. This makes it tremendously easier to clean all of the ink out if you need to change colors. Using an ear syringe I was able to clean it out completely and change inks without allowing it to dry. This would have taken forever if I had to flush it out by repeatedly piston filling it with water and emptying it. I just wish the retaining clip didn't come lose so easily.

- The brushed metal "hood" area around the nib does seem to soak up ink and takes a bit of wiping to get the ink off after filling. I know I saw another thread on this which I'll have to go read.

- The little ink window on the pen is rather useless. It's too fuzzy, too thick, and too close to the nipple. By the time I was unable to see ink through it the pen would have already stopped writing!

Enjoyed reading your review! As far as the ink window, MYU gave some excellent advice on how to use it in this thread:

Ink window - Mr. Muller made it translucent, rather than clear, to keep it somewhat muted while also being scratch and stain resistant. I agree with you that it could have been made larger, without disturbing the Bauhaus theme. But it is functional--you just have to know how to use it. Hold the pen upright with the cap on for about 15-20 seconds. Remove the cap and then hold the pen up to the light, nib upward. If the ink window is dark, you've got plenty of ink. If it's mostly clear, slowly tilt the pen sideways. You will see ink fill over the window at some point (if there is ink present). Based on how far you had to tilt the pen will give you an indication of how much ink remains. It won't take long before you get a feel for making the ink window useful.

Also, how smooth does it write compared to other pens? I've never had an L2k EF that wrote as smoothly as other pens; your pen seems like it might be an exception since it writes so wet.

If you ever decide to sell the pen, give me a PM - I might be interested in buying it.

Hi guys,

I must chime in:

My EF Lamy 2000 took some getting use to. I felt it wrote very sharp and I sense some resistance on most paper. I feel, over time, it has really become a more pleasant experience. I have Noodler's Widow Maker in it at the moment and it lays down really deep and rich. The 2000 is one of my favorites.

Pelikan:M205 DemoLamy:2000,Safari,Al-Star,1.1 JoyPilot:3-78G's:B, M, F

Parker:51"Special"Stipula:Ventidue(new version)Rotring 600Sheafer:Snorkel

No your handwriting is fine! I laughed at your descriptionand diagram of the clip flying, I have never tried to disassemble my L2K so I guess it would be easier to clean, I just flush and flush and flush...

The L2K nib runs a size wider than other nibs - if you want to use it for chinese characters you could always send it to richard and get him to make it inti a true XF and turn down the wetness a little

I love my Lamy, I would never trade it-well maybe for a Lamy LE 2000 but thats about it!

Lamy 2000-Lamy Vista-Visconti Van Gogh Maxi Tortoise Demonstrator-Pilot Vanishing Point Black Carbonesque-1947 Parker 51 Vacumatic Cedar Blue Double Jewel-Aurora Optima Black Chrome Cursive Italic-Waterman Hemisphere Metallic Blue-Sheaffer Targa-Conway Stewart CS475

No your handwriting is fine! I laughed at your descriptionand diagram of the clip flying, I have never tried to disassemble my L2K so I guess it would be easier to clean, I just flush and flush and flush...

From other threads I have read it sounds like it's probably not a good idea to remove the nib end regularly. Some people seem to have thread ware concerns.

Great Review.

I have been using mine for many many years. Oddly enough last week at the office it slipped out of my hand and onto the carpeted floor in my office. It was capped but it must have hit at just the right angle because the threads securing the section to the barrel shattered. I wrapped it up and sent it FiloFax/Lamy for repair, fully expecting a hefty bill. They replaced the pen no charge/no questions asked. A great pen and great service to back it up! :thumbup:

Wow, that's pretty nasty but that's great that they repaired it no questions asked. Did you only have to pay postage?

Also, how smooth does it write compared to other pens? I've never had an L2k EF that wrote as smoothly as other pens; your pen seems like it might be an exception since it writes so wet.

I don't have many other pens really. All of my other pens are really cheap, like < $30. I'd say among my set of pens it's one of the smoothest if not the smoothest. Certainly it's much smoother than my Vista.

• 6 years later...