Stipula's I Castoni

alvarez57

Introduction

It was around 2002 that I saw I Castoni pens on a catalogue. I liked their colors, especially the Onyx and the Citrino. I'm not too crazy on cabochons (or castone, being castoni the plural) but these I found them attractive. So I set up to buy the Citrino, for I never had a yellow pen. I must say that initially I got the old version (smaller two-toned nib). I can't remember who was the seller. The pen presented problems with the grip: if I filled the pen from a bottle, the ink would leak between the nib section and the grip!!!! Not good when the pen is translucid yellow. Retro 51 was (is?) the USA distributor and they sent the pen to Italy. When it did arrive, I was horrified to see the same ink stain in the grip!!!! I called this very obliging British woman who inmediately took action: she sent me a new pen, this time being the improved Castoni with a bigger nib. To my dismay, the pen leaked in the grip again! I tried to clean it and eventually was successful. Nowadays, this pen only gets cartridges; on the other hand, the Lapis does not show that problem.

Pen/Material 5/5

I believe this pen is made out of resin, an aromatic resin.

The resin is semi-translucent marble with pearlized tones. The color has not shown any signs of fading or discoloration.

The dimentions are: capped, 13.5cm/ 5 1/4 in; uncapped, 12.2cm/ 4 3/4 in.

The barrel is of a medium size and recessed at the end. This allows a safer posting. At the thread area, there is a silverish ring. The name of the models plus the series number are engraved at the center of the barrel.

The grip is recessed and the section threads have a rubber ring that ensures a tight closing. I like this feature.

The cap is what makes this pen most distinctive. It is shaped like a barrel with curved rhodium-plated (?) rings at both ends. The bottom ring is wider and it is where the pen's brand and model is identified. The cap is therefore heavier than the barrel.

http://inlinethumb61.webshots.com/23228/2515071630101882882S600x600Q85.jpghttp://inlinethumb32.webshots.com/25311/2146577850101882882S600x600Q85.jpg

This is a pen that would feel well balanced for a hand bigger than mine, which is a female medium. For me, capped, is too awkward to handle. Uncapped, tends to be almost short.

The clip is sturdy but flexible enough that the fabric glides into it, yet, it clips the pen to the material. At the end is the cabochon that gives this series its name. The cabochon matches the color of the pen except in the White pen that has an Onyx cabochon.

I cannot comment on the weight for I do not have scales, but it is a medium-weight pen: more than an OMAS, less than any metallic or Conway Stewart's Duro...does that help?!? :blink:

The pen is a looker.

Nib 4/5

http://inlinethumb34.webshots.com/24609/2308504320101882882S600x600Q85.jpg

Here it coes the good part. The nib is big, 14k 585 gold and rhodium beautifully engraved with the company's logo surrounded by leaves. My personal impression on this nib is that it is smooth, yet it lets you feel the texture of the paper -some will call it toothy, but not like the Aurora Talentum that I had. There is some spring to it, not much, but it is not a stiff nail. I have both a Fine and Medium nib. In this case I prefer the medium. Both nibs have a nice wet but not bleeding line. The medium has such a nice wide soft spot that permits me to write in a perpendicular angle (this is the weird way I write). It is a very nice nib with some followers like Ghost Plane and Handlebar among others.

Why a 4 of a 5? Because I've come to like flexier pens. Still, this is a very nice nib.

Filling System 4/5

It is c/c. For the Citrino works well due to the factory defect. Also, I like when I use the long Waterman cartridges and fill them with a syringe with any ink I like.

Price (depending :lol: )

Considering that it is celuloid and has such a good nib, +/- USD 273 was not that bad for the Citrino; the lapis, well, I got it at FleaBay for...USD 125!!!!!

Conclusion

It is a nice pen if you have the right size of hand, which I don't seem to have. I can't post it for I feel the pull of the cap and unposted is rather small. This unfortunately does not make it one of my favorites, because it has a very good nib. Now, I can adapt myself to it and used it today to do my rounds with 20 patients at the hospital...that's a lot of writing!! The celluloids are very attractive and the pen can be called almost minimalistic in design, but a beautiful one. I particularly do not like the recessed barrel end, but it does not make the pen unpleasantly looking.

Thank You! :)

* edited for typos and correction of information
Edited by alvarez57

sonia alvarez

fpn_1379481230__chinkinreduced.jpg

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• alvarez57

• Maja

• Ghost Plane

• girlieg33k

Thanks for the thorough review, Sonia. I have two Stipula I Castoni pens. I started with the Red version and then acquired the Lapis Blue version from the Marketplace for a great price. I love the Lapis Blue -- it's understated with a touch of flair that, ironically, sets it apart from the Citrino Yellow and Red versions. By the way, the I Castoni pens are made of resin, not celluloid.

A friend gave me a Stipula I Castoni College in the Sahara Sand color. I liked it so much that I bought another one in Dark Blue. For anyone interested, the I Castoni College pens are a bit smaller and slimmer than the original I Castoni. They also have steel nibs that seriously rival the 14K nibs in the original I Castoni.

Also, Levenger came out with the Verona, which is styled like the Stipula I Castoni. I understand Levenger provided their own specs, but Stipula manufactured the pen. Side-by-side, the pens look nearly identical -- though many have complained about the Verona's performance. I have one, and so far it has performed flawlessly....phew!

Edited by girlieg33k

Talking about fountain pens is like dancing about architecture.

I don't have any Stipulas, so I think Sonia has me confused with someone else. :hmm1: I've debated trying one, but hearing the description has me hesitating now. I definitely prefer to write posted and I like longer pens, so I'm wondering if one of these would be long enough for me. Also whether it would be heavy enough for me as a medium weight pen. Thanks for the review - it came at a good time since I'd pondered adding one of these to my collection. Thanks!

I don't have any Stipulas, so I think Sonia has me confused with someone else. :hmm1: I've debated trying one, but hearing the description has me hesitating now. I definitely prefer to write posted and I like longer pens, so I'm wondering if one of these would be long enough for me. Also whether it would be heavy enough for me as a medium weight pen. Thanks for the review - it came at a good time since I'd pondered adding one of these to my collection. Thanks!

:embarrassed_smile: Ooops! I think it was because I wrote this at weee hours...It's Visconti you like!! Now, I will show you the size in comparison with other pens and with a ruler.

http://inlinethumb36.webshots.com/26915/2768894710101882882S600x600Q85.jpg

Omas Milord and Pelikan 600

http://inlinethumb61.webshots.com/25852/2096788910101882882S600x600Q85.jpg

Slightly above 6 in

If you like to post your pens (which I don't) and you like pens that have a certain weight but not distracting PLUS a good nib, then you should try this pen. I thought of selling them, but I LIKE THEM! :crybaby: in spite of feeling awkward in my hands.

Penseller is selling them for $95!!!!!!

http://www.penseller.com/pages/stipula.htm

Edited by alvarez57

sonia alvarez

Girlieg:

Thanks for the info on the resin. I have also a Levenger Verona in "buttercup" whose nib is very smooth but the pen has awful flow problems! It is in line for a nibmeister to fix, for it is a very ice pen.

Thanks! :D

sonia alvarez

Wonderful pens! I love both colors as blue is my favorite color in general and yellow is just so striking on a pen. It seems to me, though, that these pens are somewhat very feminine, especially with the stone set into the clip. Would you say these are rather pens for women or do they also become men?

Wonderful pens! I love both colors as blue is my favorite color in general and yellow is just so striking on a pen. It seems to me, though, that these pens are somewhat very feminine, especially with the stone set into the clip. Would you say these are rather pens for women or do they also become men?

:hmm1:

Ooooh! Let's not start this..is it white? As a matter of fact, they have a white one! :lol:

It just depends on your taste...some may look more feminine, but they also have a "tortoise" one that rather looks masculine. I have a couple of pens that are DEFINATELY masculine-looking -i.e. OMAS Milord, Ogiva; Marlen Basilea, but Wolfgang, they have nothing to do with my feminity. Of course I would not have a Mikado raw ebonite (they are gorgeous) because it was way too big for my hand, and THAT I consider masculine! :)

sonia alvarez

Beau Brummel has a lot to answer for when he decreed black and white for gentlemen. A pen is masculine if a given man is comfortable using it. It's feminine if a given woman feels comfortable using it. And it looks great no matter which. Enjoy, people, enjoy. Go forth and enjoy your pens without the ghost of a 19th century fashionista determining your choices. 'Sides, Brummel died broke and alone, so I'm not sure that shows such great taste in the end. :rolleyes:

Sonia, I hate to be a pest, but can you show the width while you're at it? You know me and my preference for wide bodies. :unsure:

<snip>

If you like to post your pens (which I don't) and you like pens that have a certain weight but not distracting PLUS a good nib, then you should try this pen. I thought of selling them, but I LIKE THEM! :crybaby: in spite of feeling awkward in my hands.

Penseller is selling them for $95!!!!!!

http://www.penseller.com/pages/stipula.htm

The rollerball is $95; the fountain pen is $189.

Mehitabel

there's a dance or two in the old dame yet - mehitabel the cat

Beau Brummel has a lot to answer for when he decreed black and white for gentlemen. A pen is masculine if a given man is comfortable using it. It's feminine if a given woman feels comfortable using it. And it looks great no matter which. Enjoy, people, enjoy. Go forth and enjoy your pens without the ghost of a 19th century fashionista determining your choices. 'Sides, Brummel died broke and alone, so I'm not sure that shows such great taste in the end. :rolleyes:

:lol:

Bravo! :clap1:

Thank you so much for the review, Sonia and good photos (and closeups) of the pens. Size comparison photos are very helpful, too. Much appreciated for those contemplating a purchase!

I don't have a I Castoni, but I have two Duettos and I love their springy nibs. :)

Edited by Maja

Sonia, I hate to be a pest, but can you show the width while you're at it? You know me and my preference for wide bodies. :unsure:

A thought on poor Beau Brummel:

It is sad how many people attach their whole lives to superficial values just to see, at the very end, how much of their lives they have waisted.

GP, to me this forum is therapy; anyway I can help is a pleasure :thumbup: . I am like you, I like wider pen bodies. Now, tell me which pen you have that has the girth you like and I'll see if I can help you. For me, the girth of the DaniTrio Takumi is the perfect one ( :cloud9: ) compared to the Mid-size (!!) Dolce Vita. The Castoni is very below these girths. (To me, the DaniTrio is the closest to the perfect pen, even if the nib is Fine!).

Here I will show you the different girths between the a-M600; b- I Castoni; c- Dolce Vita Medium sized and d) DaniTrio Takumi. It always struck me as funny how such a fat pen as Dolce Vita could be called Medium-sized, but it's about the length instead.

Maja: Thank you so much, my favorite lens (and pictures) are with a macro. How the Duettos compare to the Castoni shown?

sonia alvarez

Oh darn. It looks like we don't have overlapping pen collections for reference. YOL Grand is perfect width, Delta Profili is a perfect width, Carenes are just wide enough, Van Gogh Maxis are a good width, Visconti Skeletons are a good width... I held my godson's school ruler against my pens and anything over half an inch and less than 3/4 is good. The Krone Architectus and Marlen Aderl are at the top of my width preferences approaching 3/4, probably near or at your Dolce Vita. So I'm thinking this pen is in the ballpark, looking at your pics.

It was great to see the layout over the ruler and the comparisons against other pens. Really, really helpful when trying to visualize. :thumbup:

Thanks! I'll take your brand of therapy any day. Now all I have to do is figure out when I'll have the money again. :embarrassed_smile:

Maja: Thank you so much, my favorite lens (and pictures) are with a macro. How the Duettos compare to the Castoni shown?

Hi Sonia,

You're welcome! :)

I checked the size of my Duettos and they are almost the same height as my Pelikan M800, only a little shorter (the width of a penny---ie. not much!) and the max. barrel diameter seem to be quite similar... but the Duettos' barrel tapers as it gets closer to the end end. Also, the Duetto has a neat little feature----cap threads very close to the nib (ie. at the very end of the barrel). I like that because my fingers don't have to rest on the cap threads when I hold the pen, as they do with a lot of other fountain pens.

I checked the size of my Duettos and they are almost the same height as my Pelikan M800, only a little shorter (the width of a penny---ie. not much!) and the max. barrel diameter seem to be quite similar... but the Duettos' barrel tapers as it gets closer to the end end. Also, the Duetto has a neat little feature----cap threads very close to the nib (ie. at the very end of the barrel). I like that because my fingers don't have to rest on the cap threads when I hold the pen, as they do with a lot of other fountain pens.

Meant to say :"....the Duettos' barrel tapers as it gets closer to the nib end." :embarrassed_smile:

• 3 years later...

Wow these two Stipulas look very nice. Any idea what a good used price would be on the Lapis and Citrino?

WTT: Conklin Nozac Cursive Italic & Edison Beaumont Broad for Pelikan M1000 or Something Cool (PM me to discuss. It's part of my One Red Fountain Pen trading post)

WTB: 1. Camlin SD

2. 1950s to early 1960s 1st Gen MB 149 with BB nib

3. Airmail 90T Teal Swirl

4. PenBBS 355-16SF Demonstrator