OMAS Lucens in black celluloid

omasfan

As many of you know, Omas has become my main focus. I love their old-stock models from the 1990s and the early 2000s. Although I am not so fond of their recent changes and new releases I would argue that the Bologna-based company has made contributions to the world of celluloid pens that are among the very best.

Omas has become famous for its signature Arco brown celluloid and its faceted pens, namely the Paragon which has become a design icon. What some of you might not know (I really didn't before I looked at the Lucens) is that Omas also produced semi-transparent pen barrels in different patterns that the company marketed under the name "Lucens." I have seen some vintage Lucens pens, and while I really wanted to own one, I realized that I could not afford a well-preserved model. Then I learned that Omas had issued a replica of its famous models from bygone times. Well, I believe the modern Lucens is not an authentic replica in period style but more of a reinterpretation of the old Lucens models.

Mind you, the Lucens is not to be confused with the demonstrator. Although it shares the translucence with the demonstrators, its entire concept is a different one.

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q313/wlueckel/DSC_0219.jpg

Omas made the Lucens in black and blue. They also produced a Paragon-shaped pen which the called the Extra Lucens (also available in blue and black). Since the Extra Lucens was quite a bit more expensive than the Lucens, and since I already have so many different Paragon models, I decided to go with the Lucens. Its round barrel excited me as it feels very comfortable to hold.

The pen has the same size as the Paragon without the facets which means that the barrel is a little bit more slender. Although Omas calls the pen's color black, it is hardly black at all. It is rather like a coal pit veined with stripes of golden-brown and translucent areas.

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q313/wlueckel/DSC_0221.jpg

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q313/wlueckel/DSC_0228.jpg

At first sight, the Lucens appears to be very fragile. It is as light as a feather, even a little lighter than the celluloid Paragon. In terms of weight, it has a true vintage feel to it. However, at second sight this pen is very sturdy. The celluloid is tough. This is of course a pen that you don't want to knock around but rather treat as a precious jewel. I love the weightlessness coupled with the wonderful Lucens pattern and the stability.

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q313/wlueckel/DSC_0234-1.jpg

I don't know how Omas did it, but the pattern on the barrel is just so variegated and intricate. It looks very complicated and I know that no two Lucens pens are alike. The black Lucens was only issued in the HT trim which I prefer. The blue Lucens only came in the gold trim (and furthermore the material is very similar to Omas' blue royale celluloid). Apparently, there is a thin tube of clear acrylic inside the pen wherein the piston moves. I am not sure why they did it, but protecting the translucent celluloid from staining might have been a reason. The tube, however, is so perfectly aligned to the celluloid that you will not notice it. The filler mechanism is visible upon "demand" so to speak. If you don't look closely enough, you will not notice it. If you peek through the barrel, though, you can see every detail. The Lucens thus is partially a demonstrator and partially not. A very challenging design in my view.

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q313/wlueckel/DSC_0210.jpg

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q313/wlueckel/DSC_0211.jpg

The nib on this pen is really sweet. It has a different imprint than the standard Omas nib. I got the pen with an M nib from John Mottishaw. Although Omas M nibs run normally on the broad side of medium, this medium is more like a delicate vintage medium. I asked John to gear it to the lightest of touch and slightly increase the ink flow. Writing with this featherweight pen whose nib is now ultra responsive is a very tactile and pleasant experience. I don't have to apply any pressure in order to make then pen write beautifully. The pen becomes an extension of my hand. It is so sensitive and light that I can forget it is in my hand when writing. You might think I am exaggerating but writing with this pen and nib feels like writing with your finger tips. Buying the pen from John Mottishaw was a way to make sure that this pen would not only look good but also write impeccably. It really has a vintage feel with respect to the way the pen performs. Those of you who rather love substantial weight and like to exert some pressure might not like the Lucens, though.

The pen is of course a piston filler and as such holds a large amount of ink, just like the Paragon. The end of the filler knob is slightly milled, like the edge of a coin. This gives the pen a vintage feel as the old Omas models sported such a filler knob (the milled part is unfortunately invisible in my pictures). The cap has the three thin cap bands instead of the classical Greek key band. I like this design. It is not as intrusive as the Greek key band.

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q313/wlueckel/DSC_0235.jpg

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q313/wlueckel/DSC_0214-1.jpg

Well, regarding the price, what shall I say? This was a limited edition of 1000 pens in each color, and naturally Omas celluloids aren't cheap. It also comes in a gargantuan black lacquer wooden box. It was part of the series "Homage to Armando Simoni." However, the pen is such a jewel. The way it is fashioned tells you that you have a very unique design in your hands. It will be one of my favorite pens and will be used, albeit carefully, on a regular basis.

I love Omas because even their more fancy celluloid LEs are always useable. As flawless as they look, as perfectly will they perfom on the paper.

post-3164-1192917233_thumb.jpg

Edited by dupontfan

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• omasfan

• zenshrink

• alvarez57

• Shelley

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi, dupontfan. The pen is lovely, of course, and the round shape is very attractive, but what I really, really like is the nib: very classic and tasteful. I also like the three cap bands; they're a nice change from the Greek key. Something's always struck me about the Lucens pens, though: I've always wondered why OMAS put the HT trim on the black and "gold" celluloid and the gold trim on the blue celluloid. Anyway, thanks for another lovely review (they distract me from all of the grading I'm supposed to be doing) and enjoy this beautiful instrument. Any chance of a writing sample? Best,

David

Thanks all for your nice comments!

I know, I know, I should post a writing sample. Give me some time as I just stowed away my camera equipment...

David, you're right about the nib. That was one of the things that really attracted me on this pen. Makes it look classy. I find the standard Omas nib a little boring, so this is a nice divergence.

I also understand your argument about the HT and gold trim completely. They would have been a better match vice versa. However, since I prefer the HT trim at any rate, I didn't mind that they put the HT trim on the black Lucens.

Hi, dupontfan. The pen is lovely, of course, and the round shape is very attractive, but what I really, really like is the nib: very classic and tasteful. I also like the three cap bands; they're a nice change from the Greek key. Something's always struck me about the Lucens pens, though: I've always wondered why OMAS put the HT trim on the black and "gold" celluloid and the gold trim on the blue celluloid. Anyway, thanks for another lovely review (they distract me from all of the grading I'm supposed to be doing) and enjoy this beautiful instrument. Any chance of a writing sample? Best,

David

That is a beautiful pen, incredible material...

Lamy 2000-Lamy Vista-Visconti Van Gogh Maxi Tortoise Demonstrator-Pilot Vanishing Point Black Carbonesque-1947 Parker 51 Vacumatic Cedar Blue Double Jewel-Aurora Optima Black Chrome Cursive Italic-Waterman Hemisphere Metallic Blue-Sheaffer Targa-Conway Stewart CS475

Today I ordered a modified broad cursive italic Lucens from John Mottishaw. Can't wait to get itl Your pictures were the final incentive.

Today I ordered a modified broad cursive italic Lucens from John Mottishaw. Can't wait to get itl Your pictures were the final incentive.

I am glad I could help to devastate your bank account. :bunny01:

Did you get the black or the blue one? Let us know how it turns out!

I ordered the black. It is scheduled to arrive on Tuesday. I'll let you know what I think.

Uh Oh... I better save for one myself (And John better have more) becasue this has been put in top 2 pens i want in the next year.

I ordered the black. It is scheduled to arrive on Tuesday. I'll let you know what I think.

Uh Oh... I better save for one myself (And John better have more) becasue this has been put in top 2 pens i want in the next year.

George, I am sorry to say that but mine and zenshrink's black Lucens pens were the last ones that John had. You might ask him, but I am sure he's only left a couple of blue pens.

What a gorgeous pen - I sure wish I had the dough to get one :-) then I would have to get one in blue to match it.

"Giving power and money to politicians is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys."

P.J. O'Rourke