Pelikan Souveran 400

Ray-Vigo

Here is a short review of the Pelikan Souveran 400.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/SirMike1983/pelhoriz.jpg

I. Appearance: 9/10

The Souveran comes in a variety of colors and patterns. My 400 has blue stripes and a black cap and blind cap.

The Souveran series of pens feature one of my favorite looks of all modern pens. They have what I would call a fairly conservative look for a modern pen. They have a nice symmetry too. If you take the pen and turn it horizontally the metal trim has a nice 3-line symmetry. The pen cap has a "crown" of sorts where a small gold Pelikan logo is painted. The clip even has a nice Pelikan bird motif. The nib is gorgeous in appearance- two tone gold and silver in color with ornate engraving and a Pelikan logo. It's the best looking modern nib I know of. I'm hard-pressed to think of a better looking modern pen off the top of my head. It's a modern-classic of sorts. If you like a modern pen that has an old-fashioned look, but with modern features this may fit the bill, so-to-speak.

II. Feel In-Hand (9/10 for the 400) (10/10 for the entire Souveran series)

Here is where the Souverans REALLY shine. The pens are offered in a variety of sizes from the small 300s up to the very large 1000s. No matter what size pen you like, there is probably a Pelikan that comes close to ideal. As for the 400- the pen is moderate to small in size. I have small hands so it fits me fine. If you've larger hands then you may want to move up a size or two to the 600 or 800 series.

The 400 is fairly light in weight and posted the pen is still not heavy. If you like a light weight pen, then the 400 really does the job. For some people the elusive mix is to be able to have a light weight pen that remains light while posted. The 400 will do just that- it remains fairly light while posted and is feather weight unposted. I prefer it without the posting.

III. Filling: 9/10

The Pelikan is a modern piston fill pen. You simply turn the blind cap until the piston reaches the feed, then immerse the nib, then slowly turn the blind cap until it brings the piston to full open. The pen will fill up with a fair amount of ink. The pen holds quite a bit of ink actually- more than most sac or converter pens of the same size. It is quite efficient with its space. The only draw back is that the ornate nib is somewhat difficult to clean because of all the engraving. You may need a couple of wipes to get this one clean. It loses a point simply because if you're in a hurry the cleaning is inconvenient- more so than a plain nib. It's a nice mechanism though.

IV. Writing: 9/10

The proof is in the pudding as they say. The mixture that the 400 conjures while writing is superb. The Pelikan 400 nibs tend to be broad, wet writers. A medium is actually fairly broad and wet; it is very smooth. I have a fine as well and it is medium-fine, and still somewhat wet. The most striking feature of these pens, I've found, is just how smooth they are. The feedback is minimal compared to other brands I have tried. Even on cheap paper, the pen is very smooth, and without a sign of tooth to speak of. Beware- the pen will actually go through ink quite fast if you have a medium or broad. This isn't a big deal though, because the ink capacity is still quite high. The section is smooth and comfortable to use, and even has a little metal dressing at the end. They make great daily writers.

One of the pen's biggest pluses is the ability to change nibs. They screw in and out, and make the pen the most versatile modern fountain pen I can think of. It's a wonderful feature.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/SirMike1983/pelnib.jpg

V. Durability: 8/10

The Pelikan is quite durable on the whole. The pen is made of plastic and metal and is reasonably robust. The only drawback that I can imagine is that the pen really relies on a good seal and a smooth contact between the piston and the sides of the pen. This part moves quite a bit and quite often in the filling procedure, so it may need to be refreshed eventually. The other drawback is that the pen relies on plastic threads for the cap and section connection. I prefer metal because it wears better, and this is a minor drawback on the whole. The pen also has a number of small metal dressings on the outside- they make the pen quite attractive but must remain connected to the plastic too. On the whole the pen is fairly robust, though not as "bomb proof" as all-plastic pens or heavyweight all metals.

Tips and What to Look For:

-the Souveran line (including the 400) come in a wide variety of sizes. Be sure and note which size you like. REMEMBER: not all Souverans are the same. The price differences, in part, reflect size differences. If you're not sure what size you want, I recommend heading to a store and trying a few in person, or at least getting the vital measurements down online. Doing your homework with the size is a big part of Souveran shopping. The 400 that is the subject of this review is medium-small in size.

-nibs: remember that you can change nibs through a screw mechanism. This is one of the big pluses. If you're not sure of fine or medium, you can get both for example.

-nib size: the nibs tend to lean broad. The medium is quite wide and wet. The fine is close to a medium in other brands. Be sure to remember this when checking nib size.

-you'll need bottled ink: it's a piston fill that does NOT take a cartridge.

-watch out for loose blind caps as that part is not just part of the decoration, but vital to the function of the pen. The blind cap should be snug, but should also turn smoothly.

-check out the piston mechanism: it should be firm, but smooth. There should be no spots where it becomes tougher or smoother. It should be firm, but smooth throughout. Remember to test the ENTIRE travel of the piston. You don't want to find out after buying that it won't travel the full distance. If it won't move then don't force it- if it won't move then something is wrong and you should avoid buying the pen if you want one that will work right away.

-if working with changing nibs or examining a pen to buy, make sure the nib and feed sit evenly and straight. You don't want a pen where the screw in feature is broken because someone stripped the threads. Forcing them in without seating them properly at the start can damage them. Take your time and look for leaks thread damage. These parts are delicate so they can be damaged by the heavy handed.

-as always, check the nib out and make sure it has no defects. It should be VERY smooth.

-as always, make sure none of the metal trim is loose

The Final Word:

You'll be hard pressed to find a better modern fountain pen in terms of the wide array of possibilities that these offer. The 400 is at the smaller end of the scale and offers a reliable, moderately compact pen that is light weight, smooth writing, and strong in ink capacity. The larger ones offer the same great features, but are bigger and a bit heavier. Size is a personal matter so be sure to check each out for what feels right to you. Since these pens can change nibs, you can turn yours into just about anything. The pen itself is a tad delicate on the whole, but durability is decent enough to carry as a daily writer. It's a beautiful pen with a very smooth writing feel and some nice modern features.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ray-Vigo

• PelikanPenman

• Shelley

• PAKMAN

Nice review of a staple pen.

Lamy 2000-Lamy Vista-Visconti Van Gogh Maxi Tortoise Demonstrator-Pilot Vanishing Point Black Carbonesque-1947 Parker 51 Vacumatic Cedar Blue Double Jewel-Aurora Optima Black Chrome Cursive Italic-Waterman Hemisphere Metallic Blue-Sheaffer Targa-Conway Stewart CS475

Very good review!! The Blue Stripe Pelikan 400 Soverign is truly the most used and liked pen in my stable of pens! Thanks for the detailed look into this great pen!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Good review of a nice well rounded pen :thumbup:

Thanks.

We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be, we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender.

Winston Churchill

Courage is rightly esteemed the first of human qualities... because it is the quality which guarantees all others.

Winston Churchill

Nice review. The Souveran is a large step up in quality above the standard range. That's not a criticism of the standard range, but says something of the superiority of the Souverans

Nice review, I also like the Blue/Black stripe, but out of all my Pelikan FPs only have an M600 in this colour. I wouldn't worry too much about the piston wearing out, I have a couple of 400s and a 140 from the fifties that still work perfectly, haven't even had to apply silicon grease to them.

Andy

• 2 months later...

Great review! I have the 405 blue stripe.Wonderful writter,but not a big fan of the colours.I had my eyes on a black one with a silver trim,but I decided to escape routine,as most of my pens are black.

Pelikans are great pens! Waiting for the arrival of a 205 Demo and a blue 605.

NO

I like the black, myself, along with the blue stripe. Most of my pens are blue, with the rest being black (BCHR). If I were to get another Pelikan 200 or 400 or what-have-you it would be in black. As much as I like the blue, the black looks nice.

• 10 months later...

Just got one today. WOW, a truly elegant pen. Incredible writer, really love PR American Blue.

Let courage rise with danger, and strength to strength oppose.

There is no snooze button on a cat wanting breakfast.

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

• 3 months later...

Good review. I bought a M400 last week as a daily workhorse all I can say is that is an absolute pleasure to use. Incidentally, I did try it out in comparison to the 600/800/1000 and I have big hands. What might sound strange, is that I preferred (not in terms of price tag!) the direct feel when writing with the 400 so that's why I opted for it. I suppose all I can liken this to is the feeling of low profile tyres on a car :)

Edited by Ifeelgud

• 1 year later...
  • 5 years later...

Nice review of a classsic pen. I have a tortoishell striped 400 from the late '80s and have used it on an almost daiy basis since then. NOTHING has EVER gone wrong with it and the only thing that is different from when I got it was I got a two toned 18k OB nib that came on the 600 then put on it in the eary '90s. The 400 back then was not as fancy a pen as it is today having a single narrow cap band and a Pelikan engraved brown ( to match the brown cap) clip jewel and no blind cap trim rings, just a brown blind cap to match the cap. Here's a pic of what the "old" 400's looked like:

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh215/michaelintexas/Fountain%20Pens/Pelikan%20400%20tortoishell%201_zpscxx2ibm5.jpg