Pelikan M800 vs Omas Paragon OS (old style)

goodguy

My very favorite two writers.I love these 2 pens but as I learned to know they are very different.

I got both my pens from Israel.The Omas wasnt a pen I was planing to get.I ordered a Parker 65 flighter from a pen dealer I know in Israel.When I got the Parker 65 I found there was a problem with it.Insted of a refund I wanted an other pen.Most of what he had in stock was not what I collect and the only thing I wanted was the Omas.

As for the Pelikan that was a planed buy.I was in Israel visiting last year and I bought the pen brand new from another pen dealer and I loved it from day one.

Both pens write amazingly great but I do have a favorite and by the end you will learn to know which pen and why.

Lets start with the similareties.They are both pretty big pens even though not the biggest pens I own.I find this size to be perfectly suited to my hands and my writing style.Big and thick pens with BIG nibs.They have piston fillers (my favorite filling mechanism) that holds a lots of ink.

The Omas isnt exactly an eye catcher with its black body and silver trim,I must admit I find it to be almost boring but all in all it a nice pen.The material it is made of is again ok,the pen doesnt shout quality but on the other hand nothing fell apart and it was always very reliable.If there is something I doesnt like about the pen its the clip,it is very simple looking and the roller at the end doesnt do it to me either.It makes it harder for me to put it in the pocket.

The Pelikan on the other hand is a pen that was made to admire.It is beautiful with its red body and black cap combination.I always had a thing for red body and black cap (like my DVOS).Touching the pen again delights your touching sense it is smooth to the touch and everything about it shouts I am a high quality product.

So Pelikan is winning this one

Pelikan 1 Omas 0

The piston filler on the Omas again is good,it is slightly rough but always does the job with no complain or hesitation.I need one fill and I am good for almost 2 weeks of writing.

Pelikans filler is as expected no less then amazing.It is hands down the best piston filler I ever worked with,its even better then my MB 149 filler.Maybe its because of the brass filler I dont know but it is Sooo Smooth that I can play with it all day long.

Pelikan 2 Omas 0

The Pelikan is very well balanced,one might think because of the brass piston it might affect the balance but no the pen feels great in the hand.It is a bit heavier then the Omas but it is not a heavy pen.

Here is where the Omas start to shine.I find the pen to be perfectly balanced in the hand it is also very light weight especialy when you have such a big pen in your hand so this is one pen I could write with for hours and never get tired.

Pelikan 2 Omas 1

Now for the think that both pens are most know for.Yes the NIBS.

Both nibs are made by Bock and I gained a lot of respect to this company.

I love the Pelikan nib.First itd big and beautiful,I love the two tone effect and the Pelikan that is engraved into it.

The nib is stiff with a hint of flex.It is very smooth and responsive to the paper.In my eyes its one of the best nibs you can buy today.

The Paragons nib is on the other hand white and if it wouldnt say 18K on it I wouldnt know its a gold nib and not a steel one.

It looks plain and has an errow engraved on it.

Now for the real charm of this pen once the nib touches the paper you know what you have been missing all your life.The nib is more flexible than the M800,it is the flexiest nib I used in a modern pen.Dont get me wrong it isnt a real flexible nib,not even close to it but still its great to feel the springiness on it.As you might expect its very very smooth but the thing for me that just amazed me is how much feedback and response I got from the paper without any roughness at all.In my eyes this is the best nib I ever wrote with.

Pelikan 2 Omas 2

Even though both pens got a score of 2 I still think there is a winner.These are great pens that I love using.Without the nib I would put the winning crown on the Pelikan M800 head,this pen is simply an amazing pen that I think everyone must have but compared to the Omas it comes second.When you are talking about an everyday writer the Omas wins.It is perfectly balanced and the nib just talk to you in its sweet smooth voice.

post-2027-1188260752_thumb.jpg

post-2027-1188261371_thumb.jpg

post-2027-1188262322_thumb.jpg

post-2027-1188263807_thumb.jpg

Respect to all

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• goodguy

• Jerry

• handlebar

• Brian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Pelikan cap looks overly thick an not well proportioned.

I have a new Omas Paragon and love it except the metal grip section.

The Paragon seems more expensive than the Pelikan.

Can the Paragon's nib be threaded out?

No,sadly the nib cant be srewed out on the Omas Paragon.

Respect to all

What I like about your photos is that both pens look used-they have little scratches and so forth that do not detract from the pen but rather say that the se are pens do tdo work and not just sit around gathering dust.

Is it just the photo or does the pelikan actually have a little bend in it?

Lamy 2000-Lamy Vista-Visconti Van Gogh Maxi Tortoise Demonstrator-Pilot Vanishing Point Black Carbonesque-1947 Parker 51 Vacumatic Cedar Blue Double Jewel-Aurora Optima Black Chrome Cursive Italic-Waterman Hemisphere Metallic Blue-Sheaffer Targa-Conway Stewart CS475

What I like about your photos is that both pens look used-they have little scratches and so forth that do not detract from the pen but rather say that the se are pens do tdo work and not just sit around gathering dust.

Is it just the photo or does the pelikan actually have a little bend in it?

Hi Shelley

First let me tell you I am pretty anal when it comes to my pens.Most of my pens dont get used and are as you say gathering dast in the cabinet.

My Omas Paragon is my favorite writer and that why it gets used a lot.

My Pelikan M800 doesnt get used much but is in used now at work.

Actualy my M800 is in near mint condition and has no scratches on it.My Paragon has very little scratches but they are not deep at all and my pen mechanic could probably get rid of them easily.

The bent in the pen you see in the picture is because of the camera,as I said the Pelikan is in near mint condition and the Paragon is in excellent condition.

Respect to all

Thanks for a comparison review of two very different, but very good pens. I personally like the Omas as it represents one of the last of its kind and looks like the kind of pen you could have bought from the 1940s. Everything about it has the feel of something that was made more by hands and less by machines. You see this in the way the greek key trim is fitted to the cap and barrel; the way the piston feels as it is operated; and in the way the cap threads onto the barrel. When comparing this to the Pelikan the feel is entirely different but no less distinctive and enjoyable.

Best Regards

The Paragon seems more expensive than the Pelikan.

Can the Paragon's nib be threaded out?

No,sadly the nib cant be srewed out on the Omas Paragon.

The nib and feed unit can most certainly be unscrewed from the lower section,but should be resealed.I have three Paragons and have unscrewed the nib assembly on two of them.No leakage problems at all.

JD

I have often been tempted to try one of these faceted Omas', (I really love the classic vintage look, still a bit undecided often wondered how the compared to Pelikans, at least I now have an idea.

Thanks

Andy

Excellent head-to-head to a couple of great piston fillers. Can't go wrong with either, imho, although the general feeling I get about Pelikan's QC on their nibs lately might be an advantage for Omas (although price would shift it back to Pelikan).

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

My assessment: the Pelikan has the better piston mechanism, and the Omas has the better nib. I have several copies of both pens, and I like them both!

CharlieB

"The moment he opened the refrigerator, he saw it. Caponata! Fragrant, colorful, abundant, it filled an entire soup dish, enough for at least four people.... The notes of the triumphal march of Aida came spontaneously, naturally, to his lips." -- Andrea Camilleri, Excursion to Tindari, p. 212

I have often been tempted to try one of these faceted Omas', (I really love the classic vintage look, still a bit undecided often wondered how the compared to Pelikans, at least I now have an idea.

Thanks

Andy

Andy

IMHO if you like a full size piston pen you must have both.I do like the Omas more for everyday writing but the M800 is such a sweet pen I must say try to get both.

Respect to all

I am in full agreement with Charlie B's assessment

the Pelikan has the better piston mechanism, and the Omas has the better nib. I have several copies of both pens, and I like them both!

If I put together my own top ten list, it would include several pelikans and Omas.

MikeW

"In the land of fountain pens, the one with the sweetest nib reigns supreme!"

Check out the London Pen Club.

• 2 weeks later...
I am in full agreement with Charlie B's assessment
the Pelikan has the better piston mechanism, and the Omas has the better nib. I have several copies of both pens, and I like them both!

If I put together my own top ten list, it would include several pelikans and Omas.

It looks like in that list you will also have a Delta Dolce Vita (if I look at your Avatar)

Respect to all

• 4 months later...

Yes, I noticed the fine, fine lines on the Pelikan clip too. I agree with you, Shelley about usage. It gives a sense of "personality" to the pen that it is tool.

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb238/lmederos/logos/luissignatureicon.gif

-- Luis

• 10 months later...
My assessment: the Pelikan has the better piston mechanism, and the Omas has the better nib. I have several copies of both pens, and I like them both!

I agree with you.Pelikan has the bost filling mechanism and will always be a bentchmark for other pens.

Omas nibs are top notch and for me will be the best.

Respect to all