Signum Orione

smudgy

Here's my attempt at a little review. ;)

(Please excuse my horrible pictures! For another look at the pen, see the Signum Orione at Empire Pens.)

First, a couple of pictures of the pen: http://webpages.charter.net/butrfli425/capandpen.JPG

http://webpages.charter.net/butrfli425/pen%20closed.JPG

(sorry for the blurriness; look like bad ebay photos!)

This pen is larger than most of my others at about 5 3/4 inches unposted and 6 1/8 inches posted. I don't think it's a particularly heavy pen - rather light, actually - but when I post it the balance seems a bit thrown off in my hand and so it's easier not to post. That's okay with me, because most of the time I don't post anyway. The section narrows down to a gentle curve in the gripping area, which I find to be very comfortable.

An attempt at a close up on the resin body:

http://webpages.charter.net/butrfli425/resin.JPG

I really can't do justice to this pen with my poor close photography skills. I chose this color because it happens to be the school color of my new place of employment, but also because in the internet pictures, I found it to be the most appealing. I think I chose wisely. :) You can't see the depth of the resin in these pictures or the true color, which is really very pretty. I think my photos are a bit off and show more green than it really is. Richard Binder says on his site that it looks like you could go swimming in the finish of these pens, and he's right - it's got depth and has a water-like quality, IMO.

Dirty nib picture (didn't think to take pictures BEFORE using it!):

http://webpages.charter.net/butrfli425/nib.JPG

The best part! Not only is this pen great looking, but it writes true to ElaineB's word: it's like writing on velvet. For smoothness, this one is right up there in my little collection with my Parker 51 and my Binderized Pelikan m200. Those that want a nib with some "spring" to it might want to look elsewhere, though, as this one is pretty stiff in comparison to my ex-Delta 366 (but I like it that way, especially for longer writing sessions). Still, it doesn't seem to be quite as nail-like in stiffness as my Butt-Uglies (read: Rotring Cores). I'm sure someone else could do a better, less confusiong job of describing its qualities!

Mine is the piston filler with a fine 18 K nib. Also available is a c/c fill with a steel nib, and I've heard that the steel nib is every bit as nice. In fact, I kind of wish I would have gone that route so that I could see how much ink I have left before I run out - not to mention that you are still getting a great pen and for less money (even though I did get a great deal from Pam Braun!). At the time, though, I was just thinking that I like piston fillers... all said, though, I am extremely happy with my purchase, and you won't see me selling it on the green board. :)

THANK YOU, ElaineB, for recommending this one!

Vanessa

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RyanL27

• wimg

• Maja

• Roger

Top Posters In This Topic

nice review Smudgy. Thank you for sharing it with us. Your pics are fine. Plenty clear to give us a good look at the pen.

I've admired this pen for some time. some nice colors they have. (huh.. just call me Yodette)

I like "dirty nib" pictures (oooh kinky!) because IMO, well.. pens were made for writing!

It's also a good excuse for my pics because I rarely remember to take the pics before I ink. :) The sheaffer pics were actually inked also - but I managed to wipe off most of the ink veeeery carefully.

KCat
Save animal lives - support your local animal shelter

My personal blog https://kcdockalscribbling.com

My nature blog https://kcbeachscribbles.com
Venerable are letters, infinitely brave, forlorn, and lost. V. Woolf, Jacob's Room

You needn't apologize for the pics, Vanessa. They are acceptably sharp for anything but the most detailed inspection. :) That is a nice color, though my taste isn't very green. But I recently received some Verdun Green ink from Swisher, and I have to put it in something. :P

Roger

Southern Arizona, USA

Fountain Pen Talk Mailing List

Smudgy, thanks for the review. Nice pen - enjoy! One question: Where's the writing sample? :D

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

Hi Vanessa,

Thank you for sharing this! Nice, personal review. And the pics are nice too. If you look at the last one, you can see the translucency very well, in the section near the nib. Wow, well done!

One point of criticism, of course :D. Just like southpaw, I was wondering where the handwritten sample was :D.

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

Oh, I was JUST thinking about you tonight, Vanessa, and wondering if the Signum had arrived yet. I'm so glad you liked it. I still don't know how they could get a nib to feel like that (could there be something unique about the tipping?) but it's got a sensational feel. That's the color I would have picked out, too.

Congratulations! And of course, let's see a photo of the handwriting, too. :)

ElaineB

Hi Vanessa,

That's 3 votes for the handwriting sample now! :lol:

No pressure whatsoever :lol: !

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

Hi Vanessa,

That's 3 votes for the handwriting sample now! :lol:

No pressure whatsoever :lol: !

Warm regards, Wim

Tough bunch here, Vanessa. ;) Don't let 'em grind you down.

I posted my hand here, once, and when I realized how bad it looked next to the others, I was totally intimidated! :unsure: Notice that those calling for samples are all folk who are blessed with anywhere from a presentable hand to one that is extremely attractive. :rolleyes:

Roger

Southern Arizona, USA

Here's my attempt at a little review. ;)

Thanks for the review. Signum is one of those manufacturers that isn't always on my pen radar. Never realized that it had a wheeled clip ( always like that!).

But to echo everyone else a writing sample would be a great way to complete the review!

K H

Hi Roger,

Tough bunch here, Vanessa.  ;)  Don't let 'em grind you down.

I posted my hand here, once, and when I realized how bad it looked next to the others, I was totally intimidated!  :unsure:  Notice that those calling for samples are all folk who are blessed with anywhere from a presentable hand to one that is extremely attractive.  :rolleyes:

Hey, you know, it is about how the pen writes, and the ink looks, not how pretty you write. And if you want to learn how to write prettily, join the Penmanship forum, and practice, practice, practice :lol:.

BTW, Vanessa, it is up to 4 requests now, Kurt added his vote too :lol:.

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman

(Vanessa has nothing to be self-conscious about at all! She has lovely handwriting! Remember, she posted all those great pics when she was trying to figure out which Binderized nib to get...)

Hey, you know, it is about how the pen writes, and the ink looks, not how pretty you write. And if you want to learn how to write prettily, join the Penmanship forum, and practice, practice, practice :lol:.

Yeah, I know, but I tend to do better on these kinds of projects by self study. I have a book, now, and I even cracked it the other day. Still on page 1, though! :lol:

Roger

Southern Arizona, USA

Notice that those calling for samples are all folk who are blessed with anywhere from a presentable hand to one that is extremely attractive. 

This is simply not true. I called for a sample and mine, at least before I started working on it a couple of months ago, was light years from extremely attractive, unpresentable chicken scratchings :P !

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

Notice that those calling for samples are all folk who are blessed with anywhere from a presentable hand to one that is extremely attractive.

This is simply not true. I called for a sample and mine, at least before I started working on it a couple of months ago, was light years from extremely attractive, unpresentable chicken scratchings :P !

Hi southpaw,

Hey, does this mean you're going to show us your progress? :D

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman

Hi Roger,

See what happens, Southpaw, when you give him an opening?  :huh: The man is relentless!  :D
Another oen of my middle names :D. My parents only added the LM bit, for Large Mess, but they forgot the R, and quite a few more... :lol:

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman

Perhaps in time. . . . .

Hi, everyone - sorry for the late reply.

I've admired this pen for some time. some nice colors they have. (huh.. just call me Yodette)

I like "dirty nib" pictures (oooh kinky!) because IMO, well.. pens were made for writing!

Yodette - Laughing, I am. :lol: wasn't thinking of the way that sounded (dirty nib pictures) when I typed it...

That is a nice color, though my taste isn't very green. But I recently received some Verdun Green ink from Swisher, and I have to put it in something.

Roger - The pen is actually not quite the color that it shows in my pictures. It's got a tinge of blue to it, although it is more green than blue. The name of the color is actually teal. It's a prettier, brighter color IRL. I'm kind of picky about greens myself, and if it was the color in my pictures, I might not have chosen it. :P

Hey - how's THAT for an excuse to buy pens - I don't have anything that will match this INK, so I need a new PEN! :lol:

I posted my hand here, once, and when I realized how bad it looked next to the others, I was totally intimidated!

I hope that doesn't mean that you really won't ever post in your handwriting again? I love seeing everyone's handwriting - and I think I missed your one post! :(

Smudgy, thanks for the review. Nice pen - enjoy! One question: Where's the writing sample?

Southpaw - seems you opened a can of worms with that question! I hadn't provided one to start with because I thought that was only customary when either asking for advice about which nib would suit your hand or when providing an example of the way a special nib writes. Well, I think this nib is really special in quality, but it's not a cursive italic, flex, stub, etc., so it didn't occur to me to add a writing sample. I'll remember next time I do a review! :blush:

Oh, I was JUST thinking about you tonight, Vanessa, and wondering if the Signum had arrived yet. I'm so glad you liked it. I still don't know how they could get a nib to feel like that (could there be something unique about the tipping?) but it's got a sensational feel. That's the color I would have picked out, too.

Elaine - You got me - I have no idea how they did that. I don't have a loupe, but even if I did, I don't know if my untrained eye would detect a difference. All I know is that I'm finding it hard to want to pick up anything else besides the Signum these days... :wub: Again, thank you very much for calling this one to my attention!

Okay, here's my writing sample, with a couple of notes: firstly, it's written with the ultra laxative Waterman BB, and so the line is a little wider than it was when I first tried the pen with Waterman Black. Secondly, I am going to torture you all with an Updike poem I came across today! :lol:

http://webpages.charter.net/butrfli425/hoeing.jpg

Off to write a long overdue letter...

Vanessa

I hope that doesn't mean that you really won't ever post in your handwriting again? I love seeing everyone's handwriting - and I think I missed your one post! 

Oh no, Vanessa. If I'm good for nothing else, I provide 'comic relief' for others. The world needs a few like me to make them feel good! :lol:

That's a good hand you posted. :) You are able to coax some nice shading out of the WM B/B. I haven't been able to do that with a run of the mill M nib, but I'm about to give a Pel M250 with Binder 0.8 stub its first drink, and per Wim it will be the ubiquitous primer ink; the selfsame WM B/B. That ought to show some shading. :unsure:

Roger

Southern Arizona, USA

Oh no, Vanessa. If I'm good for nothing else, I provide 'comic relief' for others. The world needs a few like me to make them feel good! laugh.gif
I'm sure nobody would laugh at your handwriting, Roger! Give yourself some credit! :)

That's a good hand you posted. smile.gif You are able to coax some nice shading out of the WM B/B. I haven't been able to do that with a run of the mill M nib, but I'm about to give a Pel M250 with Binder 0.8 stub its first drink, and per Wim it will be the ubiquitous primer ink; the selfsame WM B/B. That ought to show some shading.

Thanks. I am also very surprised about the shading here. I've put the WM BB in a few pens, and never seen shading like this before. Hmmm... guess it's a function of ink flow? I know nutting about dese dings... but it is making me like WM BB a lot with this pen - usually it's a "ho-hum, if I have to use it to break the pen in" ink.

Vanessa