Lamy 2000

goodyear

Just what we need, another review of the Lamy 2000. But I do believe you can never have too many perspectives on a pen, especially when you're thinking about buying one.

Images are links to much bigger (and heavier) files. Please excuse the fact that I'm not a product photographer. I really should buy a light tent...

I've had this pen and have been writing with it for a week and a half or so, long enough to form some solid first impressions.

http://www.marramgrass.org.uk/fpn/L2kR2_t.jpg

Appearance, Design & Finish. The pen has a sleek design, made of Makrolon and stainless steel (I presume). The materials have a brushed look that I find quite fetching, although it's not something I'd ordinarily go for. I found the pen to be quite light for its size - uncapped it is slightly longer than a Pelikan M200. I think it's a combination of shape and materials that add to my impression of a light pen.

I find it very comfortable to hold, and the much-discussed metal tabs the cap clicks onto (with a definite and secure action) don't bother me at all. Their placement puts them out of the way, and if you haven't seen the 2000 in person, you'll not believe how tiny they are after all the debate they've caused.

The clip is sprung. If you press on the blocky-shaped base of it, the end pivots out. It would be very easy to fit over a pocket this way, and I am confident it will grip well.

I don't post my caps, so can't comment effectively on that.

This is a pen that I can quite happily and comfortably write with for page after page.

http://www.marramgrass.org.uk/fpn/L2kR1_t.jpg

http://www.marramgrass.org.uk/fpn/L2kR4_t.jpg

(Size comparison with a Pelikan M205.)

Nib Design & Performance. The nib is semi-hooded behind stainless steel. It is 14ct gold, platinum plated, and very attractive.

http://www.marramgrass.org.uk/fpn/L2kR3_t.jpg

This example is a medium, where most of my normal round-type points are fine or extra-fine. I went for it as my increasing use of stubs and italics is moving me towards broader nibs. It gives nice flow, tending towards the wetter end of the spectrum, and is really smooth, possibly the smoothest nib I own. Really pleasurable to write with.

http://www.marramgrass.org.uk/fpn/L2kR5_t.jpg

Filling System. The pen is a piston-filler, not that you could tell by looking at it. Where the blind-cap butts onto the body, the combination of materials and finish leaves the join almost invisible.

Mine is a bit stiff, and if it doesn't loosen up over then next month or two I'll probably stick some silicon grease up in there. My only other gripe with it is that the ink-window is pretty much useless.

I bought the pen new, and there was a hint of blue in there. I coud also see some dried-ink-crud in the nib slit - I worried then that there was lots of manufacturing remains gathered in there that would require some help, but a good flushing sorted it all. I had read on here that Lamy fill-test these at the factory, so I wasn't bothered by the presence of ink, but I was surprised by just how much flushing I needed to do. Once that was done, it was fine, though.

Cost/Value. I bought this over the counter at The PEN Shop in Edinburgh, where you pay list for everything. A little pricier (GBP 95), but it was part of being on holiday and we all love the bricks 'n' mortar experience from time to time. Even with that, compared to UK prices it's a whole lot of pen for the money.

Conclusion. The Lamy 2000 took a long time to grow on me. I wasn't keen on the styling at first, and when I handled it I found it a little on the light side. I hope the piston loosens up a litte, but apart from that it really has grown on me, and I find the pen to be a cracker!

Edited by goodyear

Mark Goody

I have a blog.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• goodyear

• MYU

• John Cullen

• Mal

Great review and photos, goodyear. I do love the Lamy 2000 though I'm currently without one. It's a great workhorse pen because it's bulletproof, holds the proverbial ton of ink and writes well on all papers (though I bet that Medium's a gusher). The 2000 was always that pen I didn't mind throwing in my jean pocket for the day.

From my experience, the Lamy piston is always a bit stiff - especially when compared to a Pelikan. A bit of silicone grease might help, but I've never heard of any problems due to the stiffness.

"I have striven not to laugh at human actions, not to weep at them, nor to hate them, but to understand them."

- Baruch Spinoza

Excellent review! Thank you so much. I am definitely going to order a 2000 if I can ever figure out which nib I want. Your writing sample is very much appreciated.

thanks for the review and photos. I enjoyed seeing the "insides" of the pen. Regarding the nib, is it a smooth and firm nib like a Phileas? Or is it smooth and soft or springy? Any comparison to any other nib?

I am going to have to try one of these one of these days. jc

thanks for the review and photos. I enjoyed seeing the "insides" of the pen. Regarding the nib, is it a smooth and firm nib like a Phileas? Or is it smooth and soft or springy? Any comparison to any other nib?

I am going to have to try one of these one of these days. jc

It's not a firm-firm nib, but it's not overly soft - just a nice amount of springy feedback for me. I think others on FPN have descibed at as pleasantly soft/springy. If that helps <_<

Glad the review is of service to some.

Mark Goody

I have a blog.

I agree with all of the positives: it is a great writer, the smoothest that I have ever used. But it does have leakage issues. The seam area between the silver top and the makrolon body is prone to tiny cracks. I will be sending one of mine for repairs to their customer service offices.

Nice review, when I first got into FP's I swore i was never going to get a hooded nib, now I have just got a P51, ordered and am awaiting delivery of a Lamy 2000. Funny how a review can change your mind.

I also like the Pel demonstrator you have-you should do a review of that!

Lamy 2000-Lamy Vista-Visconti Van Gogh Maxi Tortoise Demonstrator-Pilot Vanishing Point Black Carbonesque-1947 Parker 51 Vacumatic Cedar Blue Double Jewel-Aurora Optima Black Chrome Cursive Italic-Waterman Hemisphere Metallic Blue-Sheaffer Targa-Conway Stewart CS475

Nice review there, Goodyear. :) I'm glad to see another Lamy 2000 review join the ranks. That reminds me--I need to post pics on mine (I'm long overdue!).

I find my Lamy 2000 (with OM nib) a bit too wet and wide for my tastes. I like the oblique nature of the nib, so I'm going to see about getting it ground down a little finer, maybe to a true OF.

As for the piston screw, yes--the 2000 is known for being stiff. LamyUSA servicing took care of mine with some white lubricant of some kind (grease?). It moves easier, though it still requires a little finger flex.

As for the ink window, it is not as useful as it could be. HOWEVER, it does work. The trick is that you have to give it a little time for the ink to settle, and it won't give you a good reading until you're about half-full or less. I guess in keeping with the minimalist theme, Herr Müller did not want to end up with a wide ink window. Functional it is, though.

Btw, don't be afraid to post--this pen takes it very well.

[MYU's Pen Review Corner] | "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

• 11 months later...
The semi-hooded nib and the piston filler are very attractive features.

This may seem like a fairly weird question, but why is a semi-hooded nib an advantage? I've always thought that having a full nib was better both functionally and aesthetically.

I've solved (to some extent, that is) the stiffness of the piston by filling it with Waterman Florida blue. You don't have to use that ink: just fill, empty, refill... and then flush the pen. Waterman blueblack also works.

Juan

The semi-hooded nib and the piston filler are very attractive features.

This may seem like a fairly weird question, but why is a semi-hooded nib an advantage? I've always thought that having a full nib was better both functionally and aesthetically.

I suspect he means the dry-out resistance is an added advantage of a semi-hooded nib (versus regular nib). I've found both Lamy 27 and 2000 models to continue working even after going for a long while with the caps off. Hands down, the Parker 51 is the best (and most hooded!). As for the aesthetics of semi-hooded nibs, that is subjective. I tend to like them.

[MYU's Pen Review Corner] | "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

• 4 years later...

Thanks for the review! I'm going to read a few more reviews; I might ask for one for my birthday. The pen was pointed out to me as an alternative to another Lamy I was looking at but Paradise Pen didn't have in stock. I ended up with a Waterman, but I'm having second thoughts...

Thanks for posting this review and this is one of our most popular models at www.isellpens.com .

This model definitely needs to be cleaned before inking the first time.

Lamy does test them with ink and you will normally always find dried ink on the nib.

Best Regards,

Todd

• 1 year later...