Pilot Custom 823

Dean

So a couple of weeks ago I sold my Pelikan M800 as it was just too top heavy for me when posted. The lady at the post office had to pry it out of my hand though as I really like the look of this pen (red stripped) and the nib. I then proceeded to look for another pen to fill my void. Luckily, someone (thanks Meanwhile) suggested a Pilot Custom 823. I purchased the pen on ebay from Taizo and just received it today. I'd like to give a short review here and included some pics (but they're terrible...sorry). This is my first review, so bear with me.

First Impression: 5/5

At 10:30am today, a lady pulls up in my driveway in a red corvette and walks up to the door with a package. I was so excited to find that this was FedEx with my new pen! Taizo contacted my on the 17th and here is my pen on the 21st (from Japan). It came in a plain plastic box with the pen sealed in plastic. Instructions were in both English and Japanese. No fancy packaging, but what great service.

Appearance: 5/5

First of all let me prefice this with the fact that I love black pens. There is nothing really fancy about this pen. It's black with gold trim. Also comes in brown if you prefer. What's under the hood is what sets this pen apart in my opinion. If you hold it up to the light though, you'll find that it is a demonstrator. The lower portion of the cap is also translucent, with the upper half having a solid black inner cap that cuts off view of the nib. It's nice to see how much ink you have left...not that it's going to be much of a concern because this pen holds A LOT of ink.

Design: 4/5

This is your basic torpedo shape. The only reason I gave it a 4/5 is that I tend to like flat tops. The pen does balance very nicely posted or uncapped which is very important to me as I do a lot of writing and usually post my pens. According to another review, here are the specs (except the weight...sorry), "The size comes out as 5 3/4 inches long closed, and 6 1/2 inches long with the cap posted. It's a half-inch across the barrel, but the section tapers down to 3/8 inch, leaving it fitting squarely into the "just right" region for most hands."

Nib: 5/5

The nib is a 14k #15 (large) medium, but writes like a F/M. It's soft with a bit of give, but not flex (if that makes sense). It is as smooth if not smoother than my previous Sailor 1911. Definitely the best nib I've used thus far. It has not skipped or failed to start (only used it for a day though).

Filling System: 5/5

This is a plunger-vac filler and fills the entire barrel full of ink. I'd say this pen probably holds the most ink short of an eyedropper. The plunger is very simple to use. It's fun to watch the barrel fill with ink as it's a demonstrator. I'm usually not very fond of demonstrators, but I like this pen because it is not that obvious unless you hold it to light.

Cost and Value: 4/5

I bought this pen from Taizo (ebay name is engeika) and had a great experience (no affiliation etc. etc.). The pen cost me $230 + $13.00 shipping. When I looked at the package, the shipping was $12.00 so not a rip off... although I want my dollar back Taizo :lol: . Compared to other pens in this price range, the Pilot 823 is worth the money. This is about my upper limit for pens and I'm glad I spent the money. To me a pens' value is judged by my reaction when I first fill and write with it and whether in the back of my mind I'm thinking "OK, this pen is nice, but will probably end up on the marketplace soon". Well, unless something drastic happens, no one is going to see this pen up for sale anytime soon.

Here's some pictures... OK, I'm confused. How do we post pictures with this new set-up??

You know what, here's a link with better pictures anyway: Stylophiles January 2006 - Pilot Custom 823

http://www.stylophilesonline.com/images/01-06/018235.jpg

Dean

Edited by MYU
embedded photo

When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded how much he had learned in the last seven years.

--Mark Twain

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lloyd

• Dean

• spilled ink

• nodrog

Thanks for the great review.

The only problem is that your review makes me want an 823 even more. That is one classy looking pen.

Dean:

Great review. I may need to get one now!! :D

Alex

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.” - Robert McClosky

A nice write-up. I envision my wallet getting lighter in the near future. Woh! reality check, my wallet is already light :blink:

Only when the last tree has died and the last river been poisoned and the last fish been caught will we realise we cannot eat money.

- Cree Indian Proverb

Wonderful review and wonderful pen!

Is there any chance to find one with a silver trim? 'cause the gold is only thing that stops me from buying one... :)

yarek

Sailor 1911 | Pilot Capless | Waterman Expert | Montblanc 149

As far as I know, they only come in black and brown with gold trim. I've heard mention of a blue pen, but haven't found one.

Dean

When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded how much he had learned in the last seven years.

--Mark Twain

As far as I know, they only come in black and brown with gold trim. I've heard mention of a blue pen, but haven't found one.

Dean

The alleged blue 823 sighting was actually a similarly shaped much cheaper CC fill Pilot.

- Jonathan

Dean

Nice review!

I have seen one in clear as well. I have not heard of the blue one. Also, I believe they all (brown, black, clear) have gold plated trim.

Mundus Vult Decipi, Decipiatur Ergo

Dean

The alleged blue 823 sighting was actually a similarly shaped much cheaper CC fill Pilot.

I photographed a Pilot Custom 823 next to a Namiki Impressions Medley, which has a 5 nib.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/in...showtopic=24692

Georges mentioned a blue pen: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/in...mp;#entry277934

I believe the blue pen was also a Namiki Impressions.

Edited by Blorgy

I know that the 823 is unavqailable in the US.Where can one find this model?Does one have to go the e-bay route or the Ujuku pen shop in Japan?When looking at the available pens under Pilot at Ujuku I did not see a specific listing for the Pilot 823.Any advice between the Pilot capless Decimo also currently unavailable in the US and the 823?I know that the Decimo is available at Cult pen shop in the UK.As a matter of fact I saw a good article yesterday directly comparing the Decimo and the Pilot VP.

Edited by spilled ink

I know that the 823 is unavqailable in the US.Where can one find this model?.

The FPN member called Hypercamper (Richie) runs www.cyberpens.com and can get these (at a good price, too).

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."

Oscar Wilde

I know that the 823 is unavqailable in the US.Where can one find this model?Does one have to go the e-bay route or the Ujuku pen shop in Japan?When looking at the available pens under Pilot at Ujuku I did not see a specific listing for the Pilot 823.

They are there. He's written the pen's name as "CUSTOM823". This will cost him business, because a google search for "buy pilot 823" or even "buy pilot custom 823" probably won't pick it up.

- Jonathan

The FPN member called Hypercamper (Richie) runs www.cyberpens.com and can get these (at a good price, too).

Are you sure? Hypercamper is a Dutchman , I believe, while Ritchie of cyberpens from the UK has his own account. :blink:

Are you sure? Hypercamper is a Dutchman , I believe, while Ritchie of cyberpens from the UK has his own account. :blink:

Hmmm, I thought they were one and the same. Well, I KNOW Richie from cyberpens can get them as he's emailed me info regarding it.

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."

Oscar Wilde

I would appreciate it if someome could post a writing sample of a Fine nib.

If you look through "The Write Stuff" and find my topic entitled "87 Carats, Flares in the Night", you'll find samples of my handwriting. That was written with a Montblanc Meisterstuck 145 with a "F" nib.

Also, in "Penmanship", there's another topic belonging to me, displaying my handwriting. Two of the three samples pictured there, are with "F" nibs.

http://www.throughouthistory.com/ - My Blog on History & Antiques

The pen cost me $230 + $13.00 shipping.

Current price of this pen in tokyo is ¥22,000, or less than $185 at today's rates. If I was thinking of getting into the pen exporting business (:rolleyes:) then now would be the time, I suppose. Anyone interested in ordering through me?

Peter