Levenger True Writer - Periwinkle

jonro

This is my first review and it's for my newest pen. I just became interested in fountain pens about a month ago. I hope I have enough experience with them to write a decent review. While this is my first review, it's actually my second True Writer. I also have one in the Kyoto color.

First Impression: It comes in an attractive Levenger case, which is made from a two-tone heavy duty coated stock. The inside lid has a satin lining and the pen is held on a velvet bottom.The pen itself looked very nice when the box was opened. The True Writer ships with both a cartridge and a converter. Rating 4.5/5

Appearance: The periwinkle color is very attractive and nicely complements the stainless steel trim. The patterns in the resin appears to have depth. There are 2 rounded end caps. The top jewel has a lip, giving it an appearance reminiscent of a flying saucer from a 50’s SciFi movie. The color reminds me of cornflower blue from my old box of Craola 64s. The silver cap band is about a millimeter too far from the end of the barrel (in my opinion). Fit and finish are very good. Rating 4.5/5

Design: Classic, traditional shape. The accents are fairly plain, but attractive. The barrel ring is inscribed with the word "Levenger." Rating 4.5/5

Nib: Steel, iridium plated, fine nib. Very, very smooth, especially with Noodler’s Bulletproof Black. The nib is fine, but feels more like a medium to me. I've got to reiterate that this is a very smooth nib, with just a hint of bite. The nib is marked "Germany." Rating: 4.5/5

Cost and Value: This is a very attractive pen and writes very well. This pen is probably a good value at its $50+ retail price. This particular model was on sale at levenger.com for $14.95. At that price, it's a steal. I would have bought more if there were more colors available.

Filling System: Cartridge or converter. Rating 4.5/5

post-34-1171082931_thumb.jpg

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jonro

• sleek_lover

• Sonnet

• sonia_simone

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ah, the periwinkle-colored True Writer. This was my first introduction into "nice" fountain pens, and my re-introduction to fountain pens in general [2001]. My TW wrote like a dream when it behaved. Otherwise, it was the bad boyfriend that you know you should dump but you keep going back to him anyway.

That being said, I do hope your experience with the True Writer is much better than mine, Jonro. I think other people have mentioned them on FPN, with positive comments. Enjoy your new pen :D

Sometimes I write things (as of 2013

http://katesplace7.wordpress.com/

My TW wrote like a dream when it behaved. Otherwise, it was the bad boyfriend that you know you should dump but you keep going back to him anyway.

There are some very easy fixes for mis-behaving TWs...

Bill in South Jersey near LBI

My TW wrote like a dream when it behaved. Otherwise, it was the bad boyfriend that you know you should dump but you keep going back to him anyway.

There are some very easy fixes for mis-behaving TWs...

Bill in South Jersey near LBI

Yes, there probably are. But this was back in 2001, before I discovered the Fountain Pen Network. Even Pentrace was hit or miss, especially on its message boards.

Sometimes I write things (as of 2013

http://katesplace7.wordpress.com/

Yes, there probably are. But this was back in 2001, before I discovered the Fountain Pen Network. Even Pentrace was hit or miss, especially on its message boards.

Hmmm...my TWs from that time were pretty much good---played nicely with everyone, cloesed cover before striking...

Bill, say more about the TW fixes! Nib floss? Detergent or ammonia rinse? Any others?

Isn't sanity really a one-trick pony, anyway? I mean, all you get is one trick, rational thinking! But when you're good and crazy . . . ooh hoo hoo hoo! . . . the sky's the limit!

--The Tick

I was able to get one of those 14 dollar periwinkle true writiers, and I agree- quite a value at that price. I am getting to like these pens more and more, I know some on this site spoke ill of them, but so far, I have to admit, they write nicely and feel good in the hand. I would say the color of the sale priced one is more of a lavender or light purple though. It has nice depth to the material.

The Danitrio Fellowship

Very good review, jonro; hope it's the first of many more! :D

The cap jewel on the TW reminds me of the black cap (edit: and barrel) jewels on my Esterbrook J pens Perhaps Levenger was going for some kind of "retro" look?

I've had really good luck with my TWs (all purchased 2nd hand)---no QC issues with them at all, and all have nice nibs with some tooth and a bit of "spring" to them. Yours is an excellent value at $14.99. Congrats on the great deal!

Edited by Maja

The cap jewel on the TW reminds me of the black cap jewels on my Esterbrook J pens Perhaps Levenger was going for some kind of "retro" look?

I had the same exact thought. It looks very much like photos of the Esterbrook J double jewel. I've got one coming by mail, so I'll be able to compare them side-by-side when it arrives. Levenger has a mostly a traditional, elegant look, so I wouldn't be surprised if they patterned the True Writer after classic pens like the Esterbrook.

Bill, say more about the TW fixes!  Nib floss?  Detergent or ammonia rinse?  Any others?

Nothing so exotic...

For a rough-feeling nib...a burnishing on plate glass, using ink as a lubricant and doing circles, swirls, loops and figure 8s

Feed problems? normally just a quick Levenger bronze page point between the tines worked fine, and if that did not do the trick, a buisness card did.

Careful choice of inks until everything got going...stay away from the heavy, sludgy stuff. I always rely on either Quink or Skrip for balky pens...

If a flush is necessary, use an ear syriynge properly modified, but be sure NOT to shoot the nib/section into the stainless steel sink...plays hell with the nib...

Other than those, which have always gotten a balky TW going...you are looking at major surgery...

Bill

Edited by paircon01

The cap jewel on the TW reminds me of the black cap jewels on my Esterbrook J pens Perhaps Levenger was going for some kind of "retro" look?

I had the same exact thought. It looks very much like photos of the Esterbrook J double jewel. I've got one coming by mail, so I'll be able to compare them side-by-side when it arrives. Levenger has a mostly a traditional, elegant look, so I wouldn't be surprised if they patterned the True Writer after classic pens like the Esterbrook.

Gird yer loins...TWs are a bunch bigger than any Estie...length, girth, etc.

The look is Estie...but as you compare, remember that Esties were the stick ballpoints of their day. Their slogan had something to do with being the dollar pen with the replaceable point. Esties were the Everyman (okay..Everyperson) of pens in their time.

The "point"? The company survived at least two severe econmomic downturns and made pens of high enough quality to be the supplier of choice of The Bell System for stationary stock. Probably hundreds of thousands of stenographers learn shorthand with Esties. The upshot of all this is economy of manufacture...

That said, I have never really done the "tale of the tape" with the two... I'd love to see the results, though...

Bill in South Jersey...

Edited for spelling and a couple of other things...because it is 6:30 AM on Sunday morning and I am up...)

Edited by paircon01

• 1 month later...

Just thought I'd add my 2 cents and throw my meager experience into the ring.

I LOOOVE my true-writer and although it's too bad that I missed the sale it seems as if they're still a pretty good deal at 50 something USD.

I've run Private reserve, schneider, quink and Noodler's inks through it with no problem.

The converter doesn't hold very much but as I understsnd it, this is not unusual.

Nope, I really can't come up with any real criticisms...