What is the best cheap pen you can buy today ?

goodguy

If we put a price cap of lets say up to 35$ what would be the best pen you can buy ?

Old or new its up to you.

My thoughts are:

New pen I would buy a Waterman Phileas.Its a beautiful big smooth writer.Even though I sold mine it was a wonderful pen.

Vintage I would probably go for either Parker 51 or 21 depends of the price I could find.

Edited by goodguy

Respect to all

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sleek_lover

• goodguy

• Ray-Vigo

• Cloud

Depends.

For Fine/Extra-Fine nibs: Three or four Hero 329/330 pens.

For Medium nibs: Pilot Knight, or a whole bunch of Pilot Varsity/V-pens.

For Broad nibs: Waterman Phileas or Lamy Safari/Al-Star.

If we put a price cap of lets say up to 35$ what would be the best pen you can buy ?

"Best" covers a lot of ground. Is it based on overall characteristics, or writing quality, or build quality, or reliability, or... ?

With no other qualifiers, the Phileas and Safari would tie for top of my list, closely followed by some of the Chinese pens.

for a cheapie, like around $7, the Hero 329 is a really good wet EF writer. I love it's writing characteristics, but the barrel definitely feels cheap

Or the disposable varsity pen if you like a broader line, but somehow I don't think of the varsities as real fountain pens though

Edited by Betty
http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

Lamy Vista or Safari.

<span style='font-size: 18px;'><em class='bbc'><strong class='bbc'><span style='font-family: Palatino Linotype'> <br><b><i><a href="http://pen.guide" target="_blank">Check out THE PEN THAT TEACHES HANDWRITING </a></span></strong></em></span></a><br><br><br><a href="

target="_blank">Video of the SuperStyluScripTipTastic Pen in action

A Little More Info

Might find something here also. I am a big backer of LAMY so I of course recommend those.

Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent.

Isaac Asimov, Salvor Hardin in "Foundation"

US science fiction novelist & scholar (1920 - 1992)

There is probably no more terrible instant of enlightenment than the one in which you discover your father is a man--with human flesh.

Frank Herbert, Dune

US science fiction novelist (1920 - 1986)

My Pens on Flikr

There are a lot of contenders. I'd say Phileas for me, with Safari right behind. If I could only keep one pen and it had to be worth less than $35, the Phileas is what I would pick.

Isn't sanity really a one-trick pony, anyway? I mean, all you get is one trick, rational thinking! But when you're good and crazy . . . ooh hoo hoo hoo! . . . the sky's the limit!

--The Tick

The phileas or the older waterman forum

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

For a wider line: Phileas

For a finer line: Pilot Knight or 78g (if you can take self-fillers)

I love self fillers!!!

Respect to all

Hang tight, fill the piggy bank, then go for your "51" :D

You'll actually get a reasonable one far cheaper than you might think :)

Regards,

Ruaidhrí

Administrator and Proprietor of Murphy Towers

There are lots of good cheap pens... A few "bests" in my collection:

- Pilot Knight

- Pilot 78G

- Waterman Phileas

- Lamy Vista

- Hero 100

In the vintage category, you can get a fully restored Esterbrook or Sheaffer Snorkel for $35, and if you're lucky a Parker 51 that works...

Michael Moncur

i would have said Safari but given the price increase I'm not going to. I'm amazed by that price since I had seen them for under $20 recently.

So I'll stick with my standard - Phileas or Kultur

I keep hearing about the Knight but sure don't see them in my Office Depot. (edit - was thinking of different pen.)

Edited by KCat

KCat
Save animal lives - support your local animal shelter

My personal blog https://kcdockalscribbling.com

My nature blog https://kcbeachscribbles.com
Venerable are letters, infinitely brave, forlorn, and lost. V. Woolf, Jacob's Room

For a wider line: Phileas

For a finer line: Pilot Knight or 78g (if you can take self-fillers)

I love self fillers!!!

The beauty of getting used to self-fillers is that it opens up the realm of vintage pens too. While I like the convenience of the converters (especially being able to open it up and see how much ink is there), I do love the simplicity of self-fillers.

The 78g is worth a look, especially if you really like a finer tip and want a rock bottom price.

I'm surprised nobody has come in with a couple of Esterbrooks...always can get an Estie or two for $35. Nice 2xxx series M nib. Great writer, solidly vintage...

Parapharsing...

Nobody doesn't like Esterbrooks...

Bill in South Jersey...

edited so it makes sense

Edited by paircon01

Another contender would have to be a Reform. It's a German company that's no longer in business, but they made great piston fillers. On Ebay, do a search on "Reform" and take a look at Speerbob's. No affiliation, he's just a great, reputable seller, and he has found a big stash of these NOS and they're going at a great price. Got a few myself. :P

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)