2002 parker duofold centennial review

georges zaslavsky

Hi

Here is a little review dedicated to a modern duofold centennial. I always wanted a centennial duofold because it was the nicest parker available. I was offered one in 2002 for my 24 th anniversary which served me flawlessly till 2005 before leaking being sent to repair at Sanford but badly repaired and then sent to repair in 2006 and repaired well.

Apparence/finish: 5/5

It is a pen I like a lot because of its green marble barrel and cap. The pen is nicely finished andboth the barrel and cap are pure beauty. The duofold centennial is a nice pen which combines both soberty and elegance.

Size/Weight: 5/5

The Centennial is almost the same size than a m800 and a MB146. Ergonomics on this pen are excellent. The pen is same weight than an m800 which means not to light and not too heavy.

Nib/Performance: 5/5

My Medium semi flex nib provides incredible performance on all paper surfaces. It allows to write fast and the flow of ink is regular. When using parker penman ink the pen is a delight to write with. Modern duofold nibs are very worthy of consideration and they are made in different width and flexibility grade so if you want something of high class, the duofold is a good choice.

Filling system: 5/5

Despite being not piston filled, the duofold has a converter which can be an advantage for those like to use cartridges.

Conlusion:

The modern Duofold centennial is worth of consideration and is plainly following the glorious way of its predecessors. It is a great pen for the money with great ergonomics, a big variety of nibs, nice finish and typical Parker quality.

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• georges zaslavsky

• RedSox04

• PinarelloOnly

• johnr55

This is a nice review, georges.

I can only agree with what you have said about this model pen. When Parker started to reissue Duofolds in the late 1980's/early 1990's I absolutely flipped over them! I started to collect them immediately. I love the size and ergonomics of the Centennial, and I think the nib is an ideal size. I have three International size Duofolds, but I have a baker's dozen of the Centennials. All but one of my Centannials have italic nibs, and, for me, the Centennial italic nib is my benchmark for quality italic nibs. I always have at least two Centennials in my monthly pen rotation, usually one with a M italic nib and one with a B italic nib.

My only negative issue with the Duofold Centennial is that the prices have gotten absurdly silly. The last couple of Centennials I got were used, and I waited for a long time until the specific color I wanted came available. Yet, I confess I do persist in my quest to add ever more Centennials to my collection.

I like my Duofold Centennial also. My only negative issue with the Duofold Centennial is that if it doesn't get used every day it's a hard starter--usually a quick dip in some water and it's fine. Still despite the other nice qualities it's a bit of an aggravation. <_<

Pat

Nice review -- THANKS! I too think they've gotten over priced. Shame a pen that large doesn't use something other than a c/c imho. With that barrel, it could hold a ton of ink.

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

Well the converter is offering you a good ink capacity but if you are really into piston feeling system then a vacumatic duofold should be the pen you should buy.

Edited by georges zaslavsky

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

As soon as I buy a new camera because mine is broken.

Thanks for the review!

I'd love to have one, but agree with Southpaw about the pricing--

I was offered mine new but it was an end of line special offer. It cost 190€ instead of 390€ originally and if I add the amount of the two repairs which is 90€, the pen's price is 280€ which is reasonnable. There are pens that are far more unreasonnably priced than the duofold centennial .

• 1 year later...

I feel your pain. In Australia, we pay AUD 750 for the standard Duofold. The special editions go for around AUD 1400.

Utterly absurd, considering their tactile response when I test-drove a few. All were consistently ordinary. There is no justification [other than madness or infatuation — is that redundant?] for purchasing one at such an inflated price.

• 2 years later...

I got the set of special edition orange pen and pencil in cherry box when they came out. Paid about $350.-. Lost the pen and been lamenting ever since. In the meantime I have about 50 great pens, but the orange special edition still eludes me. Saw one just now on ebay for 550 US$ starting price, just the pen alone. To be or not to be...

Hmmm..

Parker Duofold, Pelikakn M800 or Aurora 88?

To hold a pen is to be at war

-Voltaire

Thanks for your review. I have two Duofold Centennials. I also have the Green Check one as well as a True Blue. Both are similar, however I find the True Blue is the nicer writer out of the two. I love the size of these pens and the fact that they are light weight, which is great for long writing spells.

'

RedSox04 - I have a Duofold and an M800. I think the Duofold is the better pen. I like the Pelikan's nib and love the piston filling system, but I feel that the Duofold is a better pen. It feels better in its overall quatliy. It's slightly narrower than the Pel too which I prefer. It's all subjective of course. Both are fantastic pens and you'll be delighted with either.

Fountain pens aren't a collection, it's an insatiable obsession!

Shotokan Karate: Respect, Etiquette, Discipline, Perseverance

Hmmm..

That's hard, but for me the Pelikan come in third, not a weak third, but third nonetheless. The nibs on the 88 and Centennial I own, though very different, whoop the daylights out of the Pelikans I've tried. (BTW, I own 3 Pels). I'd say the 88 is my preferred carry pen, because of its ink capacity, but the Centennial gets the greater use at home because of its nib (a #94).

The liberty of the press is indeed essential to the nature of a free state; but this consists in laying no previous restraints upon publications, and not in freedom from censure for criminal matter when published. Every freeman has an undoubted right to lay what sentiments he pleases before the public; to forbid this, is to destroy the freedom of the press; but if he publishes what is improper, mischievous or illegal, he must take the consequence of his own temerity. (4 Bl. Com. 151, 152.) Blackstone's Commentaries

Cool! thanks for the replies. Who knew someone would own all three

To hold a pen is to be at war

-Voltaire

• 1 month later...

Thanks for your review. I have two Duofold Centennials. I also have the Green Check one as well as a True Blue. Both are similar, however I find the True Blue is the nicer writer out of the two. I love the size of these pens and the fact that they are light weight, which is great for long writing spells.

[snip...]

Lewis,

Question for you regarding the the Green Check Centennial....

In the photos I've seen online, to my eyes, the color looks more like a mix of brownish, gray, olive greenish colors

How would you describe the colors in it?

Thanks.

Mark

FP Addict & Pretty Nice Guy

Hmmm..

I also own all 3 and my personal and entirely subjective order of merit is:

1. Aurora 88

2. Pelikan M800

3. Parker Duofold