Comparison Review: Parker Sonnet and 75

TMann

The Parker Sonnet has always been one of my favorite pens. There is something about the simple, classic styling and the small, but sturdy feel of this pen that just works well for me. It's a pen that is always part of my rotation. My Parker Sonnet is the black lacquered model, with gold trim. The 18k nib has been modified by Richard Binder and is now a very smooth writing stub. Today, however, I received a pen that may become as much of a favorite as my Sonnet. I purchased this cisele Parker 75 from a fellow FPN member, and it's a beauty. It appears to have been gently used over it's lifetime, with the silver and gold exterior being in like-new condition. So what better way to enjoy my new purchase than to spend the evening comparing it to my current favorite writer?

When seen in photos, the Sonnet and the 75 appear to be about the same size. However, when you are holding them both in your hand, the 75 definitely feels smaller than the Sonnet. The 75 is slightly shorter and narrower than the Sonnet.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b143/TRM2005/Sonnet_75_1.jpg

There are many similarities in the design of these pens. The caps share the typical Parker arrow clip with an ornate "tassie" at the cap's tip. The 75 also has a "tassie" at the end of its barrel, while the Sonnet ends in a smooth bullet shape. There is an inscription of the name "Parker" at the lower end of each cap. And the sections of each pen are both black plastic.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b143/TRM2005/Sonnet_75_3.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b143/TRM2005/Sonnet_75_4.jpg

The nibs each have their own distinctive feel, though both are great writers. The Sonnet nib was modified by Richard Binder to be a stub-italic with very good ink flow. Thus, it writes well on almost any paper that I throw at it. It is incredibly smooth and has a very large sweet spot. The 75 nib is a standard Parker medium nib. It puts down a very nice wet line as well. It has a bit of "tooth" to it, which adds just enough feedback to make for a very pleasant writing experience.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b143/TRM2005/Sonnet_75_2.jpg

In summary, both of these pens are superb writers, though each has its own individual personality. The Sonnet, with its shiny lacquered finish, and the butter-smooth Binder nib feels very modern. It is shiny, smooth and competent. The cisele 75, by comparison, definitely feels like a vintage pen. The weathered apperance of the exterior, the texture of the metal crosshatching and the tactile feel of the toothy nib all combine to give this pen a seasoned character that is very different from the Sonnet.

Both of these pens have earned a permanent place in my pen rotations. :D

TMann

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b143/TRM2005/Sonnet_75_6.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b143/TRM2005/Sonnet_75_5.jpg

Edited by TMann

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TMann

• CharlieB

• fatehbajwa

• flodoc

:( I guess I'm getting old .. I've had an original 75, flat tassie, since new, and I never thought of it as vintage...I don't think I'm vintage...Oh well, you didn't completely shoot my day down in flames because I really enjoyed the review. I've always wondered how the two pens compared. Thanks.

:( I guess I'm getting old .. I've had an original 75, flat tassie, since new, and I never thought of it as vintage...I don't think I'm vintage...Oh well, you didn't completely shoot my day down in flames because I really enjoyed the review. I've always wondered how the two pens compared. Thanks.

I admit that the distinction between the two pens as "vintage" and "modern" is somewhat arbitrary. By almost anyone's standards, BOTH of these pens are "modern" in their design. However, since the 75 being reviewed is a good 30 plus years older than the Sonnet, I decided to refer to them by those two terms.

No offense was meant to anyone who bought a new cisele 75 when they were still being sold in the stores. ;)

TMann

Nice comparison, TMann! Personally, I think of the Parker 75 as the first modern pen/last vintage pen myself... :lol:

I have both a Sonnet (a black lacque with gold trim and a factory M italic nib) and a Parker 75 Cisele (with a Broad nib) and I love both. They are a nice size---not too big, not too small---and are trusted and smooth writers. The 75 is a bit thinner in the section but is extremely comfortable to hold. The Sonnet is a great pen, too; it's just too bad that there are so many fakes out there :(

(edited to add "Cisele")

Edited by Maja

Nice review TMann, makes me want to get a 75 again :blink: Last time I went on a hunt I ended up getting a 65 Flighter with a broad nib. What I do like about the Sonnet is that once you learn how, it is really easy to strip down and clean.

Jim

Obi Won WD40

Re vera, cara mea, mea nil refert!

Interesting review TMann, and thanks. I have a 75- a sterling model from Tiffany that my dad passed on to me. Have you ever played with the section adjustment? I have tried, but I do not seem to sense a difference.

Tony

Interesting review TMann, and thanks. I have a 75- a sterling model from Tiffany that my dad passed on to me. Have you ever played with the section adjustment? I have tried, but I do not seem to sense a difference.

Tony

Hi Tony! No, I have not played with the nib adjustment. It seems to be working just fine for me at its current "settings", so I haven't messed with it yet. Maybe this weekend, I'll play around with it just to see if it really makes a difference in how the nib feels.

TMann

• 5 months later...

I prefer the look of the 75, but it's the Sonnet for me. I'm a lacquer 1st, modern resin 2nd kind of guy, so metals and or rubber doesn't do it for me.

Say what you want about vintage vs modern, but the Sonnet, I feel, is on that is destined to be a classic. Maybe not a 51 aerometric class classic, but nonetheless a classic.

CFTPM

I like you review-nice work.

I have both pens-2 Sonnets and 14 Parker 75's.

Never was too happy with my Sonnets nibs.

One nib is 18k and the other one GF steal.Both nibs doesnt feel too smooth and has a weird feeling to them.

On the other hand the 75 nibs feel natural and smooth to me and make me smile every time I hold and use them.

Bottom line I am not a big fan of the Sonnet even though i think its a very nice pen.

Respect to all

Thanks for the review/comparison. I have a Silver Cisele 75 and Sonnet sitting side-by-side, but haven't inked the Sonnet yet. The 75 has an extra-fine nib, which is somewhat toothy, but probably very smooth compared to most extra-fine nibs. I did use the nib adjustment on it and the section is now positioned just right for me. I usually don't like pens that slim, but I find Parker's 75 and similarly sized 50 Fighter both comfortable pens to write with. Parker has introduced some very nice innovations and some remarkable pens during its history.

The 75 Cisele was the first fp I ever bought.I remember at age 15 paying my father $25 to cover the cost of the pen.That was the start of this absolute fascination with fountain pens.Now at age 47 I still have the 75 and still consider it one of my best writers.

• 10 months later...

Hi,

I've just joined the Network. I have a number of fountain pens, nothing too expensive. Recently I was searching the Web looking for refills or a filler for my black and gold Waterman CF. Yes I know Waterman have stopped production of these items.

In the same pen box I keep a black and gold Parker. Although I like it very much, having bought it new many years ago I did not now know the exact model. However having found this site and read this posting and viewed the photographs I now believe it to be a 75. It has the same finger indents and the ringed ends.

Does the name Cisele apply to the whole 75 range?

P.S. I think I found a spare filler for the Waterman; I am awaiting the delivery to be sure.

Regards

Nibholder ( I started with a nib and holder pen, at school. The fountain pen was a great step forward. ) Ink was everything, colour, smell and style.

• 3 months later...

I think both pens can be great writers. Regarding the 75 I definitely prefer the French round section over the US triangular section, but that is a matter of taste. :thumbup:

Nice comparative review there, TMann. I have to say that the solid nature of the ol' 75 pulls me in every time. I really like the Cisele pattern, too. The only thing is that I find the 75 a little thin for me... Pilot has a Custom variation in a sterling silver Cisele pattern that's a little thicker. I'll try to put together a comparative review of the two at some point, for reference.

[MYU's Pen Review Corner] | "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

• 5 weeks later...

The Parker 75 is my favorite pen. The contoured grip makes it so easy to position the nib on the paper. After cleaning, I can always reposition the nib with the reference marks. Yes, it's a little skinny, but I use my Sonnet for writing letters. I didn't think of rotating my pen use, but now I will, because I love writing anything with my fountain pens!

I owned a Sonnet and I had no love for it. Parker 75s on the other hand, I have grown to love, I own four now and would like to own more.

"Life moves pretty fast, if you do not stop and look around once and a while you might just miss it."

Ferris Bueller

Bill Smith's Photography