Sailor 1911 Naginata Togi Black & Silver

bluemax

I have chosen, I know, a pen that has had numerous comments, but all things considered, it has many good reasons for undergoing further epithets…. For one, it’s a popular model. Two, the nib is notoriously revered. Three, well, you don’t need to know about three, or even four. Because you know, right? And anyway, I only just bought one.

So what can I tell you that you don’t already know about it? ‘Not much’ I hear you say. And you may be right. But then, is it possible to review this pen like a car? And not just any car…

Appearance - 10/10

So, I’m walking up to it and my first impressions are - it’s black. Very black. In fact, in a world of black, this could just be the very epicentre of blackdom, tucked away in a far corner, under a very thick blanket, in a windowless room… with the lights off.

And then there’s the chrome. Hmmm, and I thought only women owned things this shiny. Both bumpers, nose and tail, are beautifully finished, each by a precise rhodium ring, not too fat, and not too thin. And then we’re at the hood ornament. With more curves than Kylie Minogue, you just want to gasp at it’s understated beauty. And finally, we arrive at the body trim, with that dual ring design, forged in Mordor, with those eye-bogglingly enigmatic letters (having once belonged to Gollum, Sauron & other preciousses), you almost forget the second ring is there – like it vanished. And when you do finally see it, you find yourself involuntarily letting out a sigh, and thinking how they just don’t make ‘em like this anymore. Oh, but they do, and you wants it, needs it…

Even before you’ve opened the driver’s door, you know this is no Ford or Chevvy. No sir. It may be made in Japan, but this baby’s got Italian written all over the design. Welcome then to the Ferrari or if you prefer, Lamborghini of it’s world. They may not sell that many each year, but rest assured, you’ll get the ride of your life.

Performance - 9/10

Well, frugal it ain’t. Under the hood you get your straight-6, V8, supercharged engine that Sailor is so well known for. With an average consumption of about 12 miles per gallon, this thing drinks more than Oliver Reed. So you need to make a choice. Either only bring it out at family weddings and funerals, or get used to living in that trailer and have the tanker drop by every other Thursday to top it up. But for your sacrifice, you get one of the fastest machines ever made. And we’re talking fast. If you listen carefully, that noise at the end of the sentence as you touch down on the full stop, is the sound barrier popping. Try it. See…

Driving - 9/10

It’s hard to truly explain the ride, but think smooth. In fact, think cushion smooth, floating on an air pocket suspended above a wagon of duck feathers, conveyed by a small army of very silent and gentle mice, … in slippers.

Turning and cornering is a dream, but be warned, With all that speed, the sheer guiltless pleasure of it all could just make you over steer. Before you know it, you’ll be signing big cheques with big signatures without quite knowing why.

The tread is, justifiably big. If you think 18 inch alloys impressed the neighbours, then have your drooling bowl to hand. With a line almost as wide as road markings, you get a broad, consistent flow. ‘But wait’ I hear you cry, ‘it says that this is a medium nib!’. Trust me, there’s nothing medium about this pen.

Space - 8/10

It’s true that this model does have a big engine. And it is equally true that you shouldn’t expect anything too twee to carry off such performance, but this isn’t a Big pen. Often compared against a 146, it’s not for the feint-hearted. Yet, it really isn’t that big. It’s just right. And there lies it’s beauty and it’s magic. It’s roomy and discreet all at once. Give this pen to David Copperfield and it would make him disappear.

Build Quality - 10/10

Ahh, so they do make ‘em like they used too. It may come from Japan, look & drive like an Italian, and even drink link an American, but the build is pure German. This thing oozes quality. Even at high speeds you won’t hear a single rattle. More solid than one of grandma’s home-baked Christmas cakes, rumour has it they hired Daleks to run the quality assurance programme.

Equipment - 10/10

When it comes to equipment, we’ve got the lot. Besides your obligatory cruise control and aircon, you get Sat Nav, electric everything and even two cup holders. This really is a Mecca for the aspiring executive. And believe it, that’s real nappa leather too.

Safety - 9/10

When it comes to safety, you ARE Captain Kirk. Scrapes aplenty will come and go, but remember, only the crew members that didn’t get lead roles died. And for added security, it even ships with a free converter, two cartridges and a mind meld… now that’s logical!

Owning - 9/10

They say that envy is green. They’re wrong, it’s black and silver. It may end up with a lot of mileage on it, but if you ever do choose to sell it on, there’ll be a queue longer than the next Star Wars movie for it.

Value - 10/10

With a pedigree longer than a Crufts blue ribbon dog, it’s refreshing to know that buying one is nearly as expensive as a box of cartridges for a 146. It’s a bit like finding a Faberge egg in a Wal-Mart Christmas cracker – a real bargain.

Verdict - 9/10

If you’re a footballer’s wife, then perhaps a snowy cap is all you crave. But the wise money is mostly still tucked away inside that old slipper in your wardrobe, only have been lightly dented by the purchase of this understated Japanese Meister. Go on, buy one, you know it makes sense :D

Yours

Bren

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• djahughes

• bluemax

• saintsimon

• HDoug

Driving - 9/10

It’s hard to truly explain the ride, but think smooth. In fact, think cushion smooth, floating on an air pocket suspended above a wagon of duck feathers, conveyed by a small army of very silent and gentle mice, … in slippers.

:roflmho: :ltcapd:

Oh my! I just got a bevy of nasty looks as I'm sitting in the library and just burst with out-loud laughter!

"I have striven not to laugh at human actions, not to weep at them, nor to hate them, but to understand them."

- Baruch Spinoza

Very well done! As I was reading your sports car review of the 1911, I was thinking about mine and agree with you. One point under performance: an engine can't be a straight-6 and a V-8 at the same time (it either has 6 cylinders inline or 8 in a vee configuration ;) ). Thoroughly enjoyed the review! :roflmho: :roflmho: :roflmho: :roflmho: :roflmho: :roflmho:

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

Very well done! As I was reading your sports car review of the 1911, I was thinking about mine and agree with you. One point under performance: an engine can't be a straight-6 and a V-8 at the same time (it either has 6 cylinders inline or 8 in a vee configuration ;) ). Thoroughly enjoyed the review! :roflmho: :roflmho: :roflmho: :roflmho: :roflmho: :roflmho:

Dang!! I've been rumbled. Yep, I know as much about cars, as I do about whaling with a toothpick :D

Anyoldhoo. Thanks all for the wonderful comments. Now to decide what next to review...

Bren

• 1 month later...

I really don't mean to be rude but... for somebody who is thinking of ordering this pen this review really isn't much help.

What nib size do you have and how is it?

Thanks

David Hughes

I really don't mean to be rude but... for somebody who is thinking of ordering this pen this review really isn't much help.

Thanks

If you read it carefully, you will find ALL information in this review. Promised. :P

Thanks

I believe that Naginata Togi refers to a special nib that allows different widths depending on angle. So what I was reading is that the reviewer has a Sailor 1911 with the special Naginata Togi nib.

Doug

Thanks

If you read it carefully, you will find ALL information in this review. Promised. :P

I guess I'm looking for something simpler to help sooth those pre-purchase nerves ;)

Don't get me wrogn... I apreciate the effort that has gone into the review but I just want something that is a bit more 'standard'...

Thanks

David Hughes

I guess I'm looking for something simpler to help sooth those pre-purchase nerves ;)

Don't get me wrogn... I apreciate the effort that has gone into the review but I just want something that is a bit more 'standard'...

Thanks

Ok, a synopsis:

He has a medium nib, which is very smooth, wet and wide.

That is in line with other reviews of the Naginata-Togi nibs.

Bren, do you write for a living?

Sheesh...

Did you have to write such a great review? My curiosity is piqued. Dare I meander over to Sailor's website and drool over the images that might await me?

You should hand-write your review about the 1911 Naginata Togi (writing with it, of course) and mail it to Sailor. Really, I mean it.

And if I end up buying one of these, I'm gonna ask you for a donation.

:roflmho:

Edited by MYU

[MYU's Pen Review Corner] | "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

All,

thanks for the very nice comments, it's very much appreciated. I guess I should really start thinking about my next model... :eureka:

djahughes - I know what you mean. I wrote this knowing that many others had reviewed the Sailor 1911 before me, so it was very much tongue in cheek. As saintsimon states, the togi is supposed to be a medium nib, but in fact writes very much like a broad nib. You can however get a medium-fine togi, which would be more of the western medium you should expect.

That said, it is a lovely nib all round, and I would think that there will be few investments made as good as this.

Oh, by the way, there's not a lot of flex in it though, but it is relatively juicy as a writer.

all the best

Bren

All,

thanks for the very nice comments, it's very much appreciated. I guess I should really start thinking about my next model... :eureka:

djahughes - I know what you mean. I wrote this knowing that many others had reviewed the Sailor 1911 before me, so it was very much tongue in cheek. As saintsimon states, the togi is supposed to be a medium nib, but in fact writes very much like a broad nib. You can however get a medium-fine togi, which would be more of the western medium you should expect.

That said, it is a lovely nib all round, and I would think that there will be few investments made as good as this.

Oh, by the way, there's not a lot of flex in it though, but it is relatively juicy as a writer.

all the best

Bren

Hi,

Thanks for the extra info. I've ordered one with the fine/medium nib so I look forward to seeing what it's like. Hoping it's not too broad for me. I have a Visconti Van Gogh with a fine nib which is more medium so I'm hoping it's going to be around there somewhere.

Sadly my Van Gogh has fallen apart in the last day so I'm very keen to get my 1911 now.

Maybe I'll post a 'traditional' (boring? :D ) review.

Many thanks

David Hughes

Sadly my Van Gogh has fallen apart in the last day so I'm very keen to get my 1911 now.

"Fallen apart"? Is this something you can tell us about? :o