Namiki Vanishing Point, Black Carbonesque

Sandy

Way, way back in the 60's I remember a school colleague in England had this great fountain pen that retracted. In those days we all *had* to use a fountain pen. No biros (ballpoints) allowed. Anyway the pen looked great and it always remained stuck in my memory. Over the years I kept a look out for a retractable pen. I am assuming that the pen that my friend had back then was a VP.

This summer, I spent many months looking at the VP. All the research was done on the Internet. It's really tough trying to buy this pen in Canada (at a good price), as most of the closest and best sites are in the U.S. This forum was one of the most valuable in that it helped me to make up my mind.

My original intention was to buy the chrome finish as I was looking for a "high-tech" look and feel. After seeing the Black Carbonesque, I changed my mind based on the available photos. When I received the pen I was initially very disappointed. There is really nothing "carbon" about it. The pen felt it had a plastic coating on it (you know, like those folks that cover their sofas with plastic sheeting). I've had it for a couple of weeks now and have acquired a taste for the style. There is no doubt that the finish is tough and I think will look brand new forever. But I think it is definitely an acquired taste.

I use the pen as my everyday and (now) only writing instrument at work and the Black Carbonesque finish is just wonderful. It's tough, looks good and is not precious in that it requires special attention.

However, in a few months I probably will purchase the chrome finish pen. Does anyone have the chrome finsh pen that they would comment on?

The pen clip poses absolutely no problem to me, although I have read that some folks find it not workable. No problems here.

One advantage of the pen is that it can be operated with one hand (say for example you have a cup of coffee in the other hand); you don't need two hands to remove and put back the cap.

My original intention was to buy the fine nib, but after reading reviews that the Japanese fine was finer than the North American fine, I decided on the medium. The medium I thought was "medium". One of my other pens is a Scheaffer Targa. The VP medium feels finer than the Scheaffer, less wet and less luxurious.

In any case, since I wanted to write with smaller lettering, I found the VP medium to be too thick. So I promptly ordered the fine nib.

I cannot say enough good things about the fine nib. It is nicely wet; not at all dry as I imagined it could be. I like how the nib very slightly pulls on the paper as I write, making my writing far more disciplined. The line is nicely precise but not mechanical (e.g. not like a Rapidograph) and there is a nice spring to the nib. The fine is not at all scratchy and does not dig into paper at all. Even at doodling speeds, the nib has not run dry on me. For people thinking of buying the fine nib, I can certainly recommend it.

I did experience the famous VP "squeak" with the medium nib, less so with the fine nib, although it did not bother me; The squeak is barely perceptible now (if at all) and there is the nice sound of nib moving over paper.

I ordered the Namiki cartridges (black, blue, green, purple). Still trying each color in turn although I found the purple to be not so intense. I've also purchased two colors of Private Reserve (Tanzanite and Spearmint); these seem to feel better to me. With the fine nib, I am still looking for a more intense color, although adding a little Tanzanite to the Spearmint is quite nice. A local Toronto shop (Laywines) will be getting a batch of Noodles soon, so I will experiment with some of those inks.

The reviews are very correct in that the converter holds a relatively small amount of ink (e.g. compared to a cartridge). I've taken to using an eye dropper to fill the converter (but it is a little messy). This seems to get that extra little amount of ink stored. For me, it looks like one fill will last about a week.

My own lay opinion on the internal engineering is that the nib inserts and clicking mechanism look very nicely designed and manufactured. One gets the feeling that these pens will last forever.

I use the pen everyday and the fine nib has not dryed out over normal usage. However, because it's so easy, I retract the nib when I know I've finished writing (once I left it open for a few minutes and the nib wrote dry for a while). Other than that, I've had no problems at all with pen startup. Overnight and the next morning the pen starts to write immediately with no dryness.

Overall, I would rate this as a very good value for a pen that can be used everyday and all the time in a business environment. It's a great pen and I would certainly recommend to those looking to buy this style of pen.

- Sandy

---------

Postscript

For my Canadian friends who are looking to buy across the border, let me review my shopping experience. I purchased the initial pen at amazon.com (not .ca) as they had a great price (it's since gone up). The order was routed to the WorldLux folks. There was a $15 shipping and handling; the order arrived quickly in 2 days. There was then an additional $15 in duty/taxes. For the purchase of the additional ink cartridges I dealt directly with WorldLux. They have a nice site, good service and good prices on the cartridges. Once again, received in 2 days. For the fine nib, I purchased on ebay.ca (from the U.S., montgomery stationary). Delivery took about 7 days. I would do business again with both WorldLux and Montgomery. However, next time I will also first check the Pamelakbraun site as they have a good value/pricing and personal service.

Toronto, Canada

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sandy

• Video11

• TMann

• Aitch

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The VP is so high up on my list, yet I haven't managed to get one yet. Such an intriguing design, and the folks who are comfortable with the ergonomics of it seem to just love it.

Thanks for the review!

Isn't sanity really a one-trick pony, anyway? I mean, all you get is one trick, rational thinking! But when you're good and crazy . . . ooh hoo hoo hoo! . . . the sky's the limit!

--The Tick

Hi Sandy,

If by "chrome" you mean the silver finish, here's a pic that I took of one that I had:

post-8-1137135254.jpg

The finish, just as an FYI, isn't metal. It's a painted, lacqured finish. It's really pretty, though. I'm kind of bummed that I sold this pen away. :doh:

TMann

Sandy,

I second all your comments on the VP, especially the quality and performance of the fine nib and the general quality of engineering on the pen.

I much prefer the rhodium plated silvery finish on both pen trim and nib and I love the appearance of my 'chrome' VP with these features. I suggest you buy one immediately! Maybe somebody will do you a bargain bundle price if you buy a chrome and a raden finish together........?!

Andy

...snip...

I'm kind of bummed that I sold this pen away. :doh:

TMann

Not sure how to say this TMann, but I'm not. :P The pen does have a good home, it's in my regular rotation for work and the fine nib gets a regular ride through in my journal.

Oh, and thanks for the review Sandy.

Life Is Not A Rehearsal.

Our Pen Club: http://londonpenclub.com

Our Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/254419004945988/

Well thanks all for the feedback!

Sonia, glad you enjoyed the review and as they say, make like Nike ... and just do it!

TMann, Thanks for the great pictures and describing the silver finish (taking the guess work out for me). I think I was hoping for a real metal finish, but at least I know what to expect now and can decide if the lacquer finish is for me. The other metal would probably all scratch up in any case. Also Andy gives a very positive review of the silver pen, so that's encouraging.

One thing I forgot to mention in the review is that cartridges are Namiki-specific. This meant that those universal cartridges are out of scope and there seem to be some quite nice inks and colors available in the universal format.

- Sandy

Toronto, Canada

...snip...

I'm kind of bummed that I sold this pen away. :doh:

TMann

Not sure how to say this TMann, but I'm not. :P The pen does have a good home, it's in my regular rotation for work and the fine nib gets a regular ride through in my journal.

Oh, and thanks for the review Sandy.

Ahhh...now, I remember. It was you Video11! What sort of strange Jedi mind-trick did you play on me to make me sell you that silver VP? ;)

Seriously, though, I'm glad that you're enjoying it. I have another VP in my possession right now, (black with gold trim,) but I really do like that silver finish. Sometime soon, I want to get a second VP so that I can have an italic VP and a standard VP.

I'd better wait for the next credit card bill, though...

TMann

Ahhh...now, I remember. It was you Video11! What sort of strange Jedi mind-trick did you play on me to make me sell you that silver VP? ;)

Seriously, though, I'm glad that you're enjoying it. I have another VP in my possession right now, (black with gold trim,) but I really do like that silver finish. Sometime soon, I want to get a second VP so that I can have an italic VP and a standard VP.

I'd better wait for the next credit card bill, though...

TMann

Much to learn have you my young padawan. :lol: I probably shouldn't tell you that I purchased a 0.6mm stub for the VP from Richard Binder at the Toronto Pen Show in the summer. And you probably don't want to know that it is a sweeeet nib. :D

Swapping nibs on these pens is so simple and cost effective that it opens up the whole world of pendom. I most likely never would have tried a stub if not for the VP.

Life Is Not A Rehearsal.

Well, I could try to explain what a stub nib is, but you are better off to visit Richard Binder's excellent site and read his Nib Basics Page. There is a wealth of information there presented in an easy to follow format.

The 0.6mm stub started life as a Namiki Medium for the VP and was reworked by Mr. Binder into a sort of rounded rectangular shape that gives one's handwriting a more interesting look. Downstrokes (vertical) are wider and cross strokes (horizontal) are thinner.

Be careful, after the first specialty nib it is a slippery slope. I am now considering an italic for my Pelikan M215 or M200. Sigh. Where does it end? :doh:

Life Is Not A Rehearsal.

Hello,

I had a blue carbonesque with a braod nib. The pen was faultless. Started everytime, smooth as butter and would put a nice thick line. I loved the borad nib to show off the nice colrs of your inks. I just traded mine for another pen. I loved the pen, but being lefthanded the placement of the clip was a little hawkward. I would have kept mine foreever if it wasn't for the clip. It was still in my daily rotation even with the way I had to hold the pen to write at my angle.

Commit to be fit

ClaudeP.com

also have a blue carbonesque. I use a custom italic nib, very sweet. I do find the clip makes the gripping a little awkward however, but all in all one of my favorite pens.

Sensitive Pen Restoration doesn't cost extra.

Find me on Facebook at MONOMOY VINTAGE PEN

Hi Sandy,

I too had to use a fountain pen in school (in Singapore, though) - no other pens allowed then. But I wanted to ask though, since I have a Namiki VP with a fine nib too, if you write on any particular paper? On some papers, the nib writes very smoothly, and on others, it feels a tad scratchy. I'm not sure if I'd consider my nib to be nicely wet, it's certainly adequate and the ink never skips, but it takes getting used to since it's really my first fine nib. Perhaps the difference in nib wetness has to do with the system - I have a converter. I'd love to have a wetter nib for the VP though!

I too had to use a fountain pen in school (in Singapore, though) - no other pens allowed then. But I wanted to ask though, since I have a Namiki VP with a fine nib too, if you write on any particular paper? On some papers, the nib writes very smoothly, and on others, it feels a tad scratchy.

Hi,

I have not found the nib to be scratchy at all on a variety of papers. I have not used on any "premium" paper, just the usual office paper, exercise books and letter stock. I have also not found the nib to run dry. However I have not found the nib to be luxoriously wet as my Scheaffer with a medium nib.

On some papers I have found the nib to provide a slight pull, but I actually like that compared to super smooth.

So far I've tried the Namiki cartrides, Private Reserve ink and Montblanc ink. My un-scientific judgment is that Montblanc seemed a little thinner. On some (cheaper) papers I have found the line to be quite wide/slightly spreading, but I guess that it is mostly due to the paper and ink.

- Sandy

Toronto, Canada