The Pelikan 150

Guest Denis Richard

Guest Denis Richard

The Pelikan 150 is the most affordable of Pelikan's ?quality instruments?. It carries the traditional Pelikan look and feel with its black plastic barrel, gold plated trims, transparent ink tank and screw-on cap. It also features the famous Pelikan clip and piston filling mechanism.

Approximately 4''3/4 long, it is a rather small pen, the smallest Pelikan being the 300 series. The nib is handcrafted out of stainless steel and gold plated. The finish is of excellent quality and the overall look has that typical Pelikan vintage feel.

It is a good smooth writer as I have always heard Pelikans are. But the biggest quality of the 150 might well be its price. I got mine for less than $45, shipping included. This might well be the best quality over price ratio in fountainpendom. That directly puts its on top of my ?highly recommended starter pens? list.

Unfortunately, I did not find many retailers selling the 150, and they usually carry the Pelikan line starting with the 200 series (around $60), which has the exact same characteristics but is slightly bigger and comes with different finish. The 150 only comes in black in the US, but can be found in green or red in Germany or at some internet stores. My guess is that, with a $15 difference, they target the same public, but get a bigger margin.

In conclusion, this is definitely an excellent purchase for a great daily writer that you can carry around without fear of loosing. For a low price, you get Pelikan craftsmanship, a good-looking little pen and a piston filler. What more can you ask ?

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fountainpenjunkie

• contaxrts2

• Neill78

• kwisatz

Yeah, I got one of this. But mine is an old model with a tapered cap band and an engraved old logo at the top of the cap. A picture paints a thousand words. I'll try to get some of pics of mine loaded.

T-H Lim

Life is short, so make the best of it while we still have it.

• 2 years later...

I've got one of these too, in a medium nib. Lays down a nice wet line, thanks to a good solid cleaning. I'd been having trouble with mine for several days, all scratchy, discolored ink, blah blah blah. I was talking with a board member, we tried a few things, and now she's good as new!

I REALLY enjoy this pen, and as it's my first foray (probably first of many) into the Pelikan kingdom, it's a super-nice writer.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1118/726404937_328386ddc6_o.jpg

Brassing Adds Character: Available by clicking on my signature.

• 4 months later...

I just picked up a 150 on clearance at franklincovey.com. $39.90

My first Pelikan.

I went there to get two page per day monthly tabs.

Always check clearance!

Always check clearance!

Always check clearance!

Dave

Dave M

"So convenient a thing it is to be a reasonable creature, since it enables one to find or make a reason for everything one has a mind to do."

Benjamin Franklin

US author, diplomat, inventor, physicist, politician, & printer (1706 - 1790)

The M150 is a great pen, but it's not the smallest piston Pel. smile.gif

http://www.richardspens.com/images/shared/smallest_pel.jpg

sig.jpg.2d63a57b2eed52a0310c0428310c3731.jpg

Wow! Great photos!

Seeing that makes me feel like I already received it!

Thanks Richard!

By the way, I still have a stuck snorkel I need to send your way.

Dave

Dave M

"So convenient a thing it is to be a reasonable creature, since it enables one to find or make a reason for everything one has a mind to do."

Benjamin Franklin

Quite a nice pen. smile.gif

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

• 9 months later...

How much better is the 200 than the 150? Huge difference?

Does the 150 allow for a changeable nib? Do 200 nibs work on it?

Thanks!

Edited by NateEssex

Lamy Safari ~ Lamy Studio ~ Pelikan M250

How much better is the 200 than the 150? Huge difference?

Thanks!

Hi Nate,

Well, I just gave my M150 to my family doctor as a little "thank you" gift as he expressed an interest in calligraphic nibs and I had paid to have the M150's nib reground into a B cursive italic when I bought it. He loved the pen and the nib :D

I have an M200 but it was the pen that got me back into fountain pens so I decided to keep that one. The M150 is a little shorter and a little narrower than the M200 (size chart here). The M150 nibs will fit in a M200 pen but the M200 nibs do not fit in a M150 (Richardspens.com handy-dandy Pelikan nib chart here).

Unfortunately, I did not find many retailers selling the 150, and they usually carry the Pelikan line starting with the 200 series (around $60), which has the exact same characteristics but is slightly bigger and comes with different finish. The 150 only comes in black in the US, but can be found in green or red in Germany or at some internet stores. My guess is that, with a $15 difference, they target the same public, but get a bigger margin.

You can find them relatively easy in Germany, but not for $45 (which would be EUR 30 at the moment). I recall having seen them for something like EUR 40 a couple of months ago. The Pelikan 200 costs around EUR 60, which would be almost $90 right now.

I had one and must agree,this is a wonderful smooth and VERY affordable pen but it is a very short pen so I had to sell it.

It might fit a child or a woman with very small hands.

Respect to all

• 4 months later...

Mine just arrived today and I was worried when I saw it, as how diminutive it was. I was afraid with my large hands it would not work. I was very pleasantly surprised that posted it is very comfortable and was blown away by the smoothness of the nib. What a wonderful introduction piece to Pelikan pens!

Let courage rise with danger, and strength to strength oppose.

There is no snooze button on a cat wanting breakfast.

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

I really love my M150 and find myself using it more than several more expensive pens. The only complaint I have is that it seems to accumulate ink around the threads for the cap. Is this common? Is there something I can do to reduce this leak?

Thanks,

Inky

I have been carrying my M150 around a lot these last couple of months. It is a great writer with a very smooth nib and holds plenty of ink. Love those piston fillers!

Dave M

Benjamin Franklin

• 1 year later...

Just bought mine. Rather stiff nib in compare with my Visconti van Gogh midi.

It's a M150 blue transparant (demonstrator). Specially made for the Netherlands.

I really like the format and the piston filling, but it ain't a smooth writer for me...

Anyone tips for making it more smooth?

Vinsconti van Gogh midi

Pelikan M150 Blue Transparant

Parker Vacumatic 1950

<!--quoteo(post=490490:date=Jan 24 2008, 08:10 PM:name=NateEssex)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NateEssex @ Jan 24 2008, 08:10 PM) 490490[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->How much better is the 200 than the 150? Huge difference?

Thanks!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Hi Nate,

The M150 is a little shorter and a little narrower than the M200 (size chart <a href="http://www.cajunpen.com/assets/images/pelikan_chart_full.jpg" target="_blank">here</a>). The M150 nibs <b>will</b> fit in a M200 pen but the M200 nibs do <b>not</b> fit in a M150 (Richardspens.com handy-dandy Pelikan nib chart <a href="http://www.richardspens.com/?page=sales/newp_pel.htm#nibchart" target="_blank">here</a>).

I have an M100 (which is of the same size as M150) with a M205/215 nib on it. It works. It's probably the same for M150.

Cogitamus non ideam sed per ideam.

Just bought mine. Rather stiff nib in compare with my Visconti van Gogh midi.

It's a M150 blue transparant (demonstrator). Specially made for the Netherlands.

I really like the format and the piston filling, but it ain't a smooth writer for me...

Anyone tips for making it more smooth?

A thorough and sound flushing is usually helpful in increasing the flow in brand new pens. Some suggests a light water-ammonia solution, but I don't have any direct experience of it.

Anyway congratulations for such collectable Pelikan.

Cheers,

<font face="Verdana"><b><font color="#2f4f4f">d</font></b><font color="#4b0082">iplo</font></font><br /><br /><a href='http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?showuser=6228' class='bbc_url' title=''><font face="Trebuchet MS"><br /><font size="4"><b><font color="#8b0000"><font color="#696969">Go</font> <font color="#006400">To</font> <font color="#a0522d">My</font> <font color="#4b0082">FPN</font> Profile!</font></b></font></font><br /></a>

Hi, the M 200 is just a little bigger, fits better better in larger hands.

But attention you cannot change nibs between M 150 and M 200, diameter of the feed is different.