Butler Finish Lamy 2000

lecorbusier

The Lamy edition 2000 is not an easy pen to find.

But about ten days ago, I chanced upon a brand new un-inked Lamy edition 2000 from a private collector and I jumped on it. In fact, this collector has three of these brand new in different nib sizes!

As I enjoy collecting and using modern design objects with the Ulm school influence, this pen finished in matt satin steel fits into my collection interest. Further, this pen has been on my wish-list for a while now and it is the only Lamy metal pen that I truly like other than the palladium studio. Given that my only other Lamy 2000--yes the only other--has an oblique nib, I decided to go for a F nib on this.

Since there are already a number of Lamy 2000 reviews here, I am only going to focus on how this pen is different from the regular Lamy 2000. I thought this may become a useful resource for FPN, especially for Lamy 2000 enthusiasts!

http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/2404/hpim0608x.jpg

Shot with HP PhotoSmart R607 (V01.00) at 2009-10-30

Differences:

1. The most noticeable differences are of course the weight and the material. This pen is substantially heavier than the regular Lamy 2000. But according to one quip I have heard before, it is not that the edition 2000 is heavy, but that the regular Lamy 2000 is too light! I did not weigh the pen but I was using it last evening as a workhorse pen and it was OK. I will explain why in a few lines' time.

The material on the other hand is similar to the stainless steel section in the regular Lamy 2000. It is hard to explain all the weight difference in the edition 2000 even if it is made of stainless steel. I suspect these 2 possibilities: (1) the edition 2000 has metal structure or parts beyond just the barrel material itself (2) the machined stainless steel body is actually thicker than necessary.

The butler finish, or matt satin finish gives it a very hi-tech look that must have been very far from the mind of Gerd Muller. That said, this is the same finish one should find on the Studio in stainless steel.

2. There are a few more subtle differences. They are:

(i) the nib of the edition 2000 is rhodanized 14K but the nib of the regular 2000 is platinum plated 14K. The platinum plated nib seems whiter but the whiteness is subtle unless one inspects the two nibs carefully.

(ii) the clip: the edition 2000 has a mirror finished stainless steel nib that contrasts nicely with the butler finish of the body. Furthermore, 'GERMANY' is engraved on the underside while the regular Lamy 2000 (at least for my recent model) has an indented space where 'GERMANY' is just stamped.

(iii) the rim of the cap: in the edition 2000, there is a nice detail at the rim of the cap where a polished ring contrasts again nicely with the butler finish. The design aesthetics of pairing two different finishes here is very consistent and I believe lots of thought have been given to this tiny detail.

(iv) there is no ink window: the edition 2000 does not have a ink window whereas there is one in the regular production model. However given the not-so-functional consensus on the window of the Lamy 2000, this is not a significant omission.

http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/1885/hpim0605w.jpg

(v) the piston filler: I dare to say that the piston knob for the edition 2000 is slightly broader than the regular Lamy 2000...But this is based on my perception and the darker color of the Lamy 2000 does tend to look trimmer than the 'fatter' lighter colored edition 2000. I very much prefer the tactility and heft of the piston knob in the edition 2000. The regular version strikes me as a little 'loose' compared to the level of precision in the edition 2000.

(vi) not able to post: it is impossible--or nearly so--to post on the edition 2000. This is why I say the weight caused fatigue is not as bad as one may think. I post very often with my Lamy 2000. Without posting this pen is not substantially heavier than the Montegrappa Extra posted, or the Omas Paragon unposted. It is in fact a pen with very good heft one needs sometimes after writing with feather-light resin pens (think Pelikan 400). Both pen cap with a little click made by the 'ears'.

Writing experience?? I leave my remarks to this photo:

http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/1149/hpim0609.jpg

I could not help but to take two more pictures comparing and contrasting the textures of the light-colored, minimalistic metal pens in my collection. Right now the edition 2000 is the baby of this tiny crowd.

http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/9156/hpim0610c.jpg

http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/3913/hpim0611k.jpg

Is another Lamy 2000 worth the space and the money? I think so, especially if it is this edition. The status of this pen being a 'limited edition' means little to me. But as a design expression and reformulation in another material and finish, this represented a bold experiment that I would like to own in my small collection of writing instruments.

From a practical point of view, this is not a pen that has the same level of robustness as the regular Lamy 2000. The fiber glass model can sure take some beating--as the famous review has shown--but I don't suppose this edition 2000 has the same level of resilience as the regular Lamy 2000. You won't bear to do it anyway.

Is it worth the money? I shouldn't purchase another pen--or at least that's what I tell myself time and again--especially now when money is scarce but this is hard to come by especially in a mint and new condition. I suppose I paid only slightly higher than what I would like, and the seller and I became friends so thats not something that can be monetized (thanks Arthur!!). But given that this cost nearly twice the regular Lamy 2000 when it was launched in 2000 with a 5,000 pieces limit, I think I paid close to that amount and so it is by today's standards in pricing, still a worthy price for a pen with this level of quality fit and finish.

Because the edition 2000 is a limited production series, not much is known about them even within english-speaking pen forums. Where reviews could be found, this pen has received very lukewarm reception. But I have found from just one day of use that this is a substantial pen functionally and aesthetically. Especially today when even a resin pen can cost up to hundreds of dollars, this pen even at slightly more than twice the price of a Lamy 2000 is a good value where it can be found in new condition.

AAA

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lecorbusier

• MYU

• hari317

• bphollin

lecorbusier, very nice review. I think you've hit all the salient points! I was thinking of reviewing this wonderful pen over the weekend, but alas, you've beaten me to it. I love nothing more than using mine for a letter writer (it is too heavy for me to use all the time).

If you'll allow me to add one point: While the Lamy 2000 Limited Edition often gets billed as a "negative" image of the standard Lamy 2000, that's not quite correct. The section is exactly the same (excepting the nib, I didn't know that) on both models. At quick glance it appears that the black ring on the LE is a negative of the standard edition ink window. In reality, of course, the ink window is below the section joint on the standard edition and omitted from the limited edition.

Sadly, I have to confirm that the LE really isn't as robust as its fiberglass counterpart. Even in a pen pouch the stainless steel 2000 has picked up some scrapes (from another Lamy 2000's clip, no less). Also watch out when you re-cap the pen to avoid a steel cap on steel section scrape. By the way, mine will post, but I don't post my pens usually.

Enjoy yours in good spirits! Any desire to track down the matching ballpoint?!

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3423/3832295112_96c70ff494.jpg

I had one of these but eventually sold it. It is just too heavy to use, particularly posted.

If I was willing to hold on to great looking, but not usable (for me) pens, this one would still be in my collection. IMO, it is one of the best looking modern pens.

The perfect version of this pen would have been a brushed aluminum version.

Regards, greg

Don't feel bad. I'm old; I'm meh about most things.

Thanks for submitting your Lamy 2000 review. I've long wanted this pen, but I'm not willing to shell out the going rates it has been fetching. In my mind, it's not enough of a step up from the 2000 to warrant it. However, still holding out for a used one needing a little TLC on the cheap. ;) Yes, there is a matching ballpoint, but as bphollin pointed out the brushed steel surface is prone to revealing scratches so you'd end up not really using it much (unless you're aiming to achieve that "used patina" look :lol: )

Edited by MYU

[MYU's Pen Review Corner] | "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

This is such a beautiful minimalist pen. I am very envious of the Bamboo that lies next to it in the group photo...Thanks for a "mini" review that is more thorough than most full length reviews. I'd like to know how long you think a review must be to qualify as a proper non-mini review. ;)

*****the dandelion blog is right here*****

*****the dandelion flickr is right here*****

lecorbusier did say "mini", I think because it doesn't follow the normal format of examining all the main points, instead focusing more on the comparison to the original. The standard 2000 has been reviewed to death, so I can understand the feeling not to repeat. ;)

[MYU's Pen Review Corner] | "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

Nice. I have a regular 2000 but have been meaning to scoop one of these sometime, assuming I can find one.

http://twitter.com/pawcelot

Vancouver Pen Club

Currently inked:

Montegrappa NeroUno Linea - J. Herbin Poussière de Lune //. Aurora Optima Demonstrator - Aurora Black // Varuna Rajan - Kaweco Green // TWSBI Vac 700R - Visconti Purple

Thank you! I am glad many of you enjoyed the review!

Yes, there is a matching ballpoint in fact for sale as well but I am mainly using FP now. The Lamy on the other end in the group photo is a ballpoint, a special edition 'titanium coated' I purchased in the late 80s.

Indeed--this little 'mini' review did grow longer I type, which happens alot alot :). Nonetheless I hope most of these words are useful and productive for the purpose of this board.

Mine is in fact impossible to post so I am curious to find out why one of our pens is able to post...I even tried to push in snugly but there is just insufficient 'friction' to keep the cap posted.

AAA

Great review. Only wish I had one. Is there a matching ballpoint or rollerball out there somwhere? Still can't help but think that it couldn't really come close to the perfection of the fibreglass Lamy 2000 though.

It's not fibreglass, it's polycarbonate.

• 4 years later...

thanks for the review

Wow, you have to chill a little. You have just posted these few words to nearly every single Lamy 2000 review on FPN, and this probably accounts for more than half of your total posts.

Dillon

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon