Laban Mento

Signum1

I recently bought a gift for myself. Such a wonderful treat. :) I justify the purchased as "guilt-free splurging."

Part I

http://img114.imageshack.us/img114/3627/scannedimage2u.jpg

Part II

http://img115.imageshack.us/img115/7323/scannedimage5.jpg

Photo A

http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/1984/img0438ze.jpg

Photo B

http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/1905/img0442nw.jpg

Photo C Group HUG: Left to right: Edison Herald, Laban Mento, Montblanc 146

http://img63.imageshack.us/img63/9647/img0445u.jpg

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Signum1

• dizzypen

• FrankB

• Con

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice review.

Looks like a very nice pen.

Thanks for sharing.

Love the ink choice too!

Current daily users: Pilot VP with Diamine Teal, Waterman Phileas M Cursive Italic with Arabian Rose, and a black Reform M CI with Copper Burst

Thank you for your review.

I love the "Mento" size and shape. The pen is a perfect fit in my writing hand. I love them and I am now up to six Mentos. I have both steel and gold nibs and all of them are from the factory. I have not modified any of them, and all of them are writing perfectly.

These pens are very large, and I can see why some people would not like them. Yet, for people who like large pens, they are an ideal goal. I like large pens, and, as I said, I have several and will no doubt collect more. I consider these pens a good value that are very much overlooked.

Great review Signum. How was the Medium nib before it was adjusted to italic? Has it smooth at all or was it scratchy?

Equal Opportunity Ink and Fountain Pen User.

My blog: The Dizzy Pen

Great review Signum. How was the Medium nib before it was adjusted to italic? Has it smooth at all or was it scratchy?

dizzypen,

Prior to the adjustment, the medium nib was smooth. It writes like a typical round medium nib. Did you get a scratchy nib?

I noticed the nib is a bit dry. I would need to prime the nib by writing a few strokes on a scrap piece of paper to get the ink flowing again. Did you experience this situation with your Mento as well, dizzypen?

Signum

dizzypen,

Prior to the adjustment, the medium nib was smooth. It writes like a typical round medium nib. Did you get a scratchy nib?

I noticed the nib is a bit dry. I would need to prime the nib by writing a few strokes on a scrap piece of paper to get the ink flowing again. Did you experience this situation with your Mento as well, dizzypen?

Signum

The fine nib I have is a little scratchy so I was thinking of getting the medium nib. Glad to hear it is smooth.

As to the bolded part. I think what you are experiencing is the cap design flaw. The cap is not airtight, so ink dries on the nib very quickly. This is said to lead to hard starts. Someone came up with a fix involving clear nail polish. I don't remember it exactly, but you should be able to find the fix using the search function.

ETA: Ok I think I found the thread click here and scroll down a bit.

Edited by dizzypen

Equal Opportunity Ink and Fountain Pen User.

My blog: The Dizzy Pen

I want one at that fire sale price. Sadly, there don't seem to be any. ):

I came here for the pictures and stayed for the conversation.

Thank you for your review.

I love the "Mento" size and shape. The pen is a perfect fit in my writing hand. I love them and I am now up to six Mentos. I have both steel and gold nibs and all of them are from the factory. I have not modified any of them, and all of them are writing perfectly.

These pens are very large, and I can see why some people would not like them. Yet, for people who like large pens, they are an ideal goal. I like large pens, and, as I said, I have several and will no doubt collect more. I consider these pens a good value that are very much overlooked.

FrankB,

I totally agree with you that the Mento is an overlooked fountain pen. The Mento is very good value for the money, especially when you can buy it used. :)

Modifying the nib is a matter of personal taste. As long as we can agree that a fountain pen is better than a say a ballpoint pen or even a rollerball pen, then I'm not going to spend much time arguing over nib preferences.

Signum

I want one at that fire sale price. Sadly, there don't seem to be any. ):

WendyNC,

FrankB has six Mentos. Just sit tight and wait with baited breath for a deal from him. lol

Edited by Signum1

• 1 year later...

dizzypen,

Signum

My first Mento (Tiger Eye pearl) has the same clip design as yours, which lets in too much air where it mounts to the cap. That one dries out very rapidly. I bought a second recently (Tortoise) and Laban has redesigned the way the clip is attached and this new one doesn't dry out as quickly. I love the size and shape of these pens - they are so comfortable to write with.