Guider Jumbo

ashishwakhlu

Friends,

Today I am reviewing what has been the largest fountain pen I have purchased so far, the aptly named Guider “Jumbo”. As you probably know Guider pens is a 50 year old firm operating out of Rajahmundhry in Andhra Pradesh, India. They specialize in acrylic pens ebonite pens and the Jumbo.

First Impressions – the pen came in a handmade wooden box and I was struck by its size the moment I opened it. Then I noticed the arrow style clip, double cap bands and the black classic cigar shape. This is a whopper of a pen.

Appearance, Size, Weight and Finish – The appearance is very nice, solid, substantial and uncompromising. The pen is cigar shaped when capped, which is very conventional (boring?? but beautiful) and timeless. The pen is 6.5 inches long and 7.5 inches posted, the cap diameter is 0.8 inches and the battle 0.7 inches, it is the most massive size in my collection and as the group shows, dwarfs even the mighty Onyx Ambassador and the Ratnam Supreme both large pens in their own right. The pen weighs 35 grams with a full tank and holds 5 ml ink. It is made of glossy black ebonite and the finish is not perfect, it gives the appearance of a handmade pen but that’s part of its appeal. It is surprisingly comfortable to hold even when posted, but as I have mentioned previously I have large hands. This is not a pocket pen.

Trim – the clip is a replica of the Parker Arrow clip and inscribed “Guider” it seems a little small for the size of the pen but is secure and would hold the giant in the pocket. It is held on the cap by a pointed ebonite “jewel”. The double cap bands are neatly fixed, aside from that there is no other decoration.

Working – The cap screws onto the barrel with six turns and the section into the barrel with 15 turns!. Both threads are secure and look to be able to take decades of use. The pen is an eyedropper filler, as is usual with Rajahmundhry pens. I use a 10 ml syringe with a plastic cannula to fill it. The balance is perfect. Posting is obviously not required. The section has a thin step above the nib which is my favourite part of this pen.

Writing and Nib – the pen came fitted with a two tone steel fine point nib which on first glance seems too small for the pen. However it is a size 12 nib and gets dwarfed by the Jumbo. It is inscribed “Genius Iridium point Germany) the nib is very smooth and lays down a uniform wet line. There is no flex but I do not like very flexible nibs anyway. The ebonite feed is handmade and fully 6 cm long. The pen is very comfortable to hold and write but not made for small hands.

Why did I buy this pen, firstly to own all the Indian ebonite pens one by one, secondly I find large pens more comfortable to write with (The MB 149 was purchased in 1991, the Pelikan 800 in 1998). Thirdly I really like eyedropper fillers for their operational and maintenance simplicity, once you get used to their whims and warning signs that is.

Overall – 8/10, a point gone for the finish, but this is a marvel of pen design in keeping full functionality, writing comfort and balance in its massive size.

The pictures are here - http://s267.photobucket.com/albums/ii313/Ashish_031/Guider%20Jumbo/

enjoy!

Regards.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ashishwakhlu

• Tsujigiri

• lovemy51

• tres

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Today I am reviewing what has been the largest fountain pen I have purchased so far, the aptly named Guider “Jumbo”. As you probably know Guider pens is a 50 year old firm operating out of Rajahmundhry in Andhra Pradesh, India. They specialize in acrylic pens ebonite pens and the Jumbo.

One more review of the Jumbo is much appreciated Ashish, Thanks!

Here are the two previous review:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=75352

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=80342

Best,

Hari

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Thank you for the review. I'd be curious to see a comparison between this and the Varuna Vishal. I have one of those with an italic nib. Also a very large, hand-made, Indian fountain pen.