Nakaya Portable Writer, Kuro-Tamenuri Medium nib

pmrogers

I purchased this pen to sate my fascination with urushi lacquer work-- especially the subtle undertones of color on a seemingly black pen-- and to try out another high-quality Japanese nib other than Namiki/Pilot. Since this pen already has several reviews I'll concentrate just on where I view it differently and on photos that capture elements not in the previous reviews.

First Impression:

The lacquer work quality is amazing, impeccably executed. The color undertones are more subtle than I'd hoped, with only the edges showing obvious red in normal light; the pen looks fully black in all but the brightest light. The smoothness of the finish is flawless, and in the first week of use it seems to be much more resistant to fine scratches than our black resin pens from Visconti, Waterman, Montblanc.

On the negative side, the clip is poor quality with rough edges, metal that is too thin, and roughness in the stamped pattern. The clip quality is an unfortunate distraction on an otherwise remarkably nice pen. I've tried capturing the clip problems in photos but been unsuccessful. Suffice it to say that side by side against any of our pens over $50, this clip stands out as the most amateurish. In hindsight, I suspect the ideal Nakaya for me would be a clipless decagon. Clipless to eliminate the quality distraction, and decagon to add edges and provide more opportunities for seeing the color tones.

Nib:

Outstanding. I went with the two-tone option and specified heavy flow. After other reviews, I expected the nib to be liquid smooth, with almost zero feedback. Instead, it has just a bit of tooth and provides steady feedback. As our collection has broadened I've lost some of my fascination with glassy smoothness and developed an appreciation for feedback done right. The Nakaya is nearly perfect in this respect for my tastes.

Moving on to the photos, this image captures the red undertones in ideal lighting. I can't really see this much of the color more than about 5% of the time, but when the lighting does strike it is borderline breathtaking:

http://www.paulandtres.com/albums/nakaya-portable/nakaya_3.jpg

Size comparison with Montblanc 146:

http://www.paulandtres.com/albums/nakaya-portable/nakaya_6.jpg

Nib:

http://www.paulandtres.com/albums/nakaya-portable/nakaya_5.jpg

Section closeup showing red underlay:

http://www.paulandtres.com/albums/nakaya-portable/nakaya_4.jpg

Closeup of seam where cap meets body. Red undercoat shows up best at edges:

http://www.paulandtres.com/albums/nakaya-portable/nakaya_9.jpg

Cap closeup. Slight imperfections on clip visible near where it joins the cap:

http://www.paulandtres.com/albums/nakaya-portable/nakaya_8.jpg

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dandelion

• BerneseMtDogEatsArco

• pmrogers

• Lachesis

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you for your review! Your macro shots were making my salivate...and I'm not even a pencil biter!

The notes regarding the clip are especially helpful good 'n grey, they all make the whole.

I'll take an Aurora, please. Aurora black.

Interesting review and great photos! The information about the clip's poor quality was very useful and, of course , disappointing.

*****the dandelion blog is right here*****

*****the dandelion flickr is right here*****

The pen is absolutely fantastic and wonderful! The nib work is perfect and it is very nice, and the classic look of the lacquer is subtle. I would credit the imperfection in the clip near the mounting being a handmade and an art of hand though, it could be smoother as your delicate taste soothes. Nice pictorial review! Thanks for showing a wonderful pen!

Fountain Pen is for people who have a delicate taste in writing

Pens Actively In Use

MB 149-f; MB Solitaire SS (FP-ef,BP,MP)

MB (LE) G.B.Shaw (FP-m,BP,MP); MB LeGrand (RB,BP,MP)

Parker Duofold Presidential Esparto sol.SS (FP-f, BP)

Parker Duofold PS SS (FP-f, RB)

Parker Doufold Marbled Green (FP-f,BP,MP)

Parker Duofold Marbled Gray (FP-xf)

S.T. Dupont Orpheo XL Platinum Diamond Head (FP-m)

S.T. Dupont Orpheo XL Platinum/ChinLacquer Black (FP-f)

• 1 year later...

I'd love to see Nakaya update their clip design at some point. You've identified a genuine weak point.

A piston-filling Nakaya would also be wonderful of course :cloud9: