Omas Ogiva

Libertas

I decided to purchase an Ogiva from Steve, who has posted several times his Omas pens at very low prices. Though many FPN'rs had doubts about purchasing from Steve, my pen arrived today and seems to be the genuine article.

Body: My ogiva has a black cotton resin body, and a smooth finish as opposed to the guilloche. It is fairly lightweight, but not featherlight. Its larger size is a nice change from my Pelikan m215. Nothing too exciting here, but it is a classic design and a good size. (3.5/5)

Nib: The nib is an 18k HT palladium plate fine. It's smooth! It does have a little tooth (to my unexperienced hand), but definitely better than all of my other pens, including the 14k nib I put on my m215. This is my first fine nibbed pen, so perhaps a little more tooth is to be expected than a medium. The nib doesn't hesitate at all. It lays a consistent and wet line every time! I really like the thin design of the ebonite feed. Only complaint so far is that I wished Omas would put two tone nibs on the ogiva. (4/5)

Filling: Nice piston mechanism. The piston on this pen was pretty tight and sticking a little, and this is my major complaint so far. (Anybody want to clue me in on the best way to alleviate this? I am hoping it will smoothen out a little with after lubed up with some ink and used for a few fills) (4/5)

Trim, Fit and Finish: I chose the HT palladium trim, which is quite nice on the black resin. The greek key bands are very pretty, and the rolling clip is a nice touch. The pen feels a little cheap to me because of its light weight, but close inspection reveals that everything is well done. The pen also arrived in top notch packaging, an outer box, inner presentation box, a leather slipcover, and warranty manual. (4/5)

Overal: I'm very excited about this pen, it's a delight to use! Omas does not dissapoint. For $130 shipped, I'd say it was a steal. Now that I've caught the bug, Paragons and the Omas club pen are looming in my future.... (4/5)

I might try and add some pictures later....

Greg

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dan Carmell

• Libertas

• sonia_simone

• scubie02

Thanks for the review! I've been sighing for an Omas for awhile--at that price I might cave in.

Isn't sanity really a one-trick pony, anyway? I mean, all you get is one trick, rational thinking! But when you're good and crazy . . . ooh hoo hoo hoo! . . . the sky's the limit!

--The Tick

Yes, I bought the Ogiva from Steve as well. Inked it, liked it, but sold it to buy another pen--another Omas from Steve! I may yet turn around and buy another Ogiva from him--they are very nice pens, it just didn't speak to me as much as I thought it would.

I would described the action of the nib exactly as you did, Greg--very smooth, but a hint of tooth. That's a good combination for me. But my two other Omas pens are more on the ultra smooth side and that is more typical of Omas, or so I'm told.

Enjoy!

Dan

Nice review. I have an Omas Ogiva MoMA and absolutely love it. The medium nib is juicy and smooth. One of my top all-time writers, if not THE best!

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

I have to say, Southpaw, that your MOMA is a gorgeous pen and I hope you don't have to part with it!

best, Dan

Thank you for the Review!!!

The OMAS Ogiva are one of the best pen in that price range. In fact, I find the Ogiva to be better than a lot of pens that are 2 to 3 times that price. I find that OMAS nibs are well over a size broader than a standard western nib sizes.

I swapped a medium OMAS Paragon nib for a Broad nib with Southpaw. What really suprised me is that the medium nib is like a broad, while the Broad nib is like a BB in terms of the width of the lines it lays down. I have 5 OMAS pens and they are all juicy writers and super smooth too!!! The Ebonite feed really makes the difference.

I have 2 Ogivas right now, one is a Vision and the other is like yours which is a HT with a smooth black body.

Speaking for myself, I would also love to have a two tone nib. I really wish that they would bring it back on most of its pens. I think the 2 tone really brings out the detail of the OMAS arrow.

Have fun with your Ogiva, I have a total blast with mine!!!

TNS

Check Out my Fountain Pen and Ink Review Sites

Fountain Pen Reviews

Ink Reviews

Nice buy. I haven't any recently produced Omas pens, but I have tried a couple and thought they were very nice. I can see one looming on the horizon of my future.

Edited by JRodriguez

• 1 month later...

I just got the Ogiva smooth HT trim, with fine nib.

This is my fifth OMAS fountain pen and the first Ogiva. My other OMAS are paragon and 360.

I have to say that the build quilty and the look the Ogiva is really far below both the paragon and the 360. It's still a nice pen, but doesn't give you the paragon/360 feel of luxury and exclusivity.

In terms of writing/nib, the pens is just as good as other OMAS fountain pen. Super smooth nib with a good amount of flex.

I got it from Steve also, for around $130. For that price, it's a steal.

Thanks for the review! I've been sighing for an Omas for awhile--at that price I might cave in.

Sonia, not related to the thread, but who is that beautiful child in your avatar. what eyes! :doh:

Bless him.

Daniel

"Sweating is the bodies way of weeping with desire," he said. "Five more cry baby, five more", she said.

Aw thank you, that is my truly gorgeous little boy Cosimo. I love that picture, it makes me laugh, he looks like a little prisoner with the stripes and his pout. I call that outfit "O Boo-Boo Where Art Thou."

Isn't sanity really a one-trick pony, anyway? I mean, all you get is one trick, rational thinking! But when you're good and crazy . . . ooh hoo hoo hoo! . . . the sky's the limit!

--The Tick

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
Ok, who is Steve and what is his site? :)

+1--who is "steve"?

Half the harm that is done in this world is due to people who want to feel important. They don't mean to do harm -- but the harm does not interest them. Or they do not see it, or they justify it because they are absorbed in the endless struggle to think well of themselves.

apparently if they tell us, they have to kill us...

Half the harm that is done in this world is due to people who want to feel important. They don't mean to do harm -- but the harm does not interest them. Or they do not see it, or they justify it because they are absorbed in the endless struggle to think well of themselves.