Pilot 70th Anniversary Pen

rokurinpapa

[Pilot 70th Anniversary Pen Limited Edition ]

[brief introduction] This is my second pen review in English.

Pilot launched Limited Edition Pilot70 in 1988 to commemorate the 70th Anniversary of its Foundation (1918). 7000 pieces were produced. Unfortunately the pen was not so popular when it was released. I can guess the reason : 1 the appearance was thought to be quite simple and plain for anniversary pen. 2 the list price, 38,000yen , was thought to be too expensive. 3 the nib was thought to be too flexible for ordinary use.

According to the booklet attached to the Pilot 70, it was designed by such concept as "simple is best", that is, it is the form to clarify itself quietly to be a writing instrument, to concentrate itself on only writing (especially to write Japanese characters beautifully like calligraphy pen), besides it also revived the form of the pen in the time of Pilot's foundation, but regarding its performance the most advanced technology was devoted to the pen cordially. This concept was not understood in Japanese market for the time being. Not a few pilot 70 were covered with dust in shops. But as time goes by, real worth of Pilot70 has been revalued gradually. When I began to look out for the pen 2years ago, there had been already no Pilot70 in ordinary fountain pen shops. But it is put on auction or on sale occasionally. I happened to find this pen at a vintage shop in Tokyo. I got the pen without the slightest hesitation then. Perhaps this pen is not famous outside Japan and tends to be underestimated. So I have decided to try telling you details of it.

1 First Impressions (10/10) – I opened the box on my way home without patience. "1918 1988 PILOT 70 VEST TYPE FOUNTAIN PEN Limited Edition" was carved by laser on the lid of the box attached with metal clip. There was the pen on the pen tray. A booklet of Pilot70, guaranty card, special converter and black plastic tube(I do not have no idea what it is even now) below the pen tray. I was deeply moved at that time. First: The box is compact. Second: A pen tray was set in the box just closely. Third: the material of the pen tray and the box was light brown Japanese Oak that is superior quality, and solid, heavy and luxury. Fourth: of course the special pen. When I took the pen in hand, it was light, easy to grip and hard to slip owing to the wave checkered pattern carved on the body. I read the booklet. In it Pilot clarified the concept of Pilot70 with full of confidence. I found the pen was filled with passion, soul and deep attachment of Pilot. For example, the Japanese Oak used for the box and the pen tray came from the definite area in Hokkaido (northern island of Japan borders Russia on north) where Pilot started to mine iridosmine.

http://i928.photobucket.com/albums/ad123/rokurinpapa/Pilot%2070th/P1020262.jpg

http://i928.photobucket.com/albums/ad123/rokurinpapa/Pilot%2070th/P1020263.jpg

2 Appearance & Design (10/10) - The shape of the pen is so-called vest type, the top and the bottom is both flat and the body is cylindrical. Perhaps that shape is symbolically important for Pilot because it is the shape of the first pen, all of which is produced by Pilot's own efforts in its history.

http://i928.photobucket.com/albums/ad123/rokurinpapa/Pilot%2070th/P1020324.jpg

http://i928.photobucket.com/albums/ad123/rokurinpapa/Pilot%2070th/P1020322.jpg

The pen is made of black AS resin. T<!--coloro:#000000--><!--/coloro-->he wave checkered pattern<!--colorc--><!--/colorc--> is <!--coloro:#000000--><!--/coloro-->carved o<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->n the body except the cap top, cap end, barrel end and grip section. There is no surplus decoration. Only 14k lean gold ring is shining moderately in the cap end ,and black small nameplate with gold letters of "Pilot 70 and ****(serial number of 4 fingers, 0001 to 7000)" is set by two 22k gold plated brass screws. When the cap is tightened fully, the nameplate comes surely to the regular place that is 45 degrees left from the place just under the clip owing to precise process. Similarly the nameplate comes certainly to the same side as the feed (that is back side of the nib). The simple ball-clip is plated with 22k gold. According to the booklet, the shape of the clip is made in the shape of Japanese sword and jewel from ancient times. The ball of the clip is accurate sphere produced by high technology that Pilot is proud of.

http://i928.photobucket.com/albums/ad123/rokurinpapa/Pilot%2070th/P1020325.jpg

3 Weight & Dimensions (9/10) – The length of this pen is almost the same as that of Montblanc 146, measuring 140mm long capped, 127mm uncapped and 165mm posted. The maximum diameter of the barrel is 12.4mm. I think many people feel that it fits their hands. It weighs about 25 g with full ink, suitable weight for long writing but I feel a bit light for my taste.

upper:70th, gold nib, gold clip, simple. lower:85th,silver nib, silver clip, gorgeous.

http://i928.photobucket.com/albums/ad123/rokurinpapa/Pilot%2070th/P1020264.jpg

http://i928.photobucket.com/albums/ad123/rokurinpapa/Pilot%2070th/P1020269.jpg

4 Nib & Performance (9/10) – This pen comes with a 14k monotone gold FM nib (other width was not available.). The size of the nib is No.10 of Pilot that is attached to Custom 742, Bamboo, Custom Maple and so on. The feeder is translucent. The nib design is very simple. Only "Pilot 14k 585 JIS* mark" is engraved. The most impressive thing is that the nib is bended under unusually and pretty flexible. The taste of it is quite different from ordinary Pilot No. 10 nib. Very smooth, but feel rough slightly to have a feeling for the paper. If you write with the pen by such strong force as a case of ball-point pen, the nib will be bended and open. Yes! This is a kind of nib that fountain pen enthusiasts loves and search for, but beginners familiar with ball-point pens may not master the nib perfectly and feel scratchy. The line it puts down is only a bit finer than that of my Pelikan M800 F. The width of the line is practical enough and enjoyable. I use this pen to correct the documents on business using Pilot Iroshizuku Yuyake(sunset glow). I can feel happy when I use this pen however hard the work may be.

* JIS : Japanese Industrial Standard

http://i928.photobucket.com/albums/ad123/rokurinpapa/Pilot%2070th/P1020327.jpg

http://i928.photobucket.com/albums/ad123/rokurinpapa/Pilot%2070th/P1020275.jpg

upper:70th. lower:85th.

http://i928.photobucket.com/albums/ad123/rokurinpapa/Pilot%2070th/P1020333.jpg

http://i928.photobucket.com/albums/ad123/rokurinpapa/Pilot%2070th/P1020281.jpg

5 Filling System (9/10) – It comes with a special converter similar to Pilot Con-70 ( painted in black with gold "character "PUSH" and longer a bit) that is a Push Button type and holds the most ink among Pilot converters (otherCon-20,Con-50). It is very easy to fill it up with ink. By the way, J –san stated Con-70 attached to Custom 845 has had the urushi treatment in his review. But MYU doubt if the CON-70 has an urushi coating in his reply. High end pens like Custom 845, 748,90th Anniversary Raden Toki, Namiki Yukari Collection and so on have con-70 painted in black. When I asked a Pilot staff about this point, he said after investigation that it has been done consciously to represent the feeling of high grade pen but the black was resin, not usushi and that black type converter is not available except for USA. At least it is certain that Pilot regarded Pilot70 as the special value pen to use black type converter (exactly speaking, different from Custom 845 and so on, this converter is not con-70).

http://i928.photobucket.com/albums/ad123/rokurinpapa/Pilot%2070th/P1020270.jpg

6 Cost & Value (10/10) - The list price was 38,000 yen 20 years ago in Japan, about $380 at current rate. I happened to buy this pen (NOS) from vintage pen seller in Tokyo at about the list price. This price is not cheap but not too expensive. In Japan Pilot70 (NOS) is occasionally put on the market because 7000, a considerable number, pieces were produced. The contract price at that case in auctions is usually higher than 50000yen lately. Pilot70 have become popular more and more in Japan. So I think I got a good deal.

upper :7000 pieces. lower :1000 pieces.

http://i928.photobucket.com/albums/ad123/rokurinpapa/Pilot%2070th/P1020332.jpg

7 Conclusion (Final score[57]: 9.5)- I use this pen everyday on business. This is a pen of 20 years ago. But it is not worn at all, very durable. I am amply satisfied. This pen is also very simple. And simple pens like this Pilot70 are probable at a glance. But such pens are in fact rare. Pilot launched vest type Custom 72 in 1990 just exactly like Pilot70. But they changed to present Custom74 2years after. We can find Custom 72(NOS) at times at rural shops in Japan. But Pilot70 has unique nib and of course rarer. If you happen to find it, I recommend you to think of getting it.

Edited by MYU

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rokurinpapa

• hari317

• Pen2009

• PatientType

Bravo, rokurinpapa! It is only your second review and yet you have achieved exemplary quality. :thumbup: Never before has the Pilot 70th Anniversary pen been shown here on FPN, and you have done it tremendous justice. It may be a simple design, but looks to be exquisite in form and quality. Although one might hope for the #15 nib in such a pen, the understated #10 nib seems to do well for it. And I really like the wooden presentation box. I will have to remember to watch for this pen in the future, for addition into my collection. :)

Domo arigato!

~Gary

[MYU's Pen Review Corner] | "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

Really good review of a relatively rare pen. Have only seen a few and each time the price was well more than you paid for it. Congratulations on this terrific find. Your review has some gems I was not aware of and really makes a great reference as well. Your command of English is quite good. I would never know this is a second language for you.

Thank you.

Interesting pens. But, for a special edition, the top one has rather a bland looking nib. A little bit of decorations would make the nib look a little more special. I noticed the serial number is shown right in the middle of the barrel in large lettering. I think this is a personal taste. But, I like the more discrete serial numbers on the limited production pens. Aurora does this quite well in my opinion.

Edited by Pen2009

My collection: 149 EF/F/B/OBB, Collodi B/Twain F/Mann F, 146 M, Silver Barley F, M1000/M800 B'o'B/M800 Tortoise/Sahara/415 BT/215/205 Blue Demo, Optima Demo Red M/88 EF & Italic/Europa, Emotica, 2K/Safaris/Al-Stars/Vista, Edson DB/Carene BS, Pilot 845/823/742/743/Silvern/M90/Makies, Sailor Profit Realo M/KOP Makies/Profit Makies/Profit 21 Naginata MF&M/KOP/KOP Mosaiques/Sterling Silvers,Platinum #3776 Celluloids/Izumos/Wood pens/Sterling Silvers,YoL Grand Victorian, and more (I lost counting)

Thanks once again for another very fine review, and with photography that gives us a clear idea of the pen. I really like this pen"s plainness: maybe I should take a trip around inaka Japan and try to find one...

Thanks once again for another very fine review, and with photography that gives us a clear idea of the pen. I really like this pen"s plainness: maybe I should take a trip around inaka Japan and try to find one...

You don't want to got to "inaka" in Japan. It's just so boring. Go to Tokyo and get your pen at a variety pen stores there. No beating around the bush.

Edited by Pen2009

My collection: 149 EF/F/B/OBB, Collodi B/Twain F/Mann F, 146 M, Silver Barley F, M1000/M800 B'o'B/M800 Tortoise/Sahara/415 BT/215/205 Blue Demo, Optima Demo Red M/88 EF & Italic/Europa, Emotica, 2K/Safaris/Al-Stars/Vista, Edson DB/Carene BS, Pilot 845/823/742/743/Silvern/M90/Makies, Sailor Profit Realo M/KOP Makies/Profit Makies/Profit 21 Naginata MF&M/KOP/KOP Mosaiques/Sterling Silvers,Platinum #3776 Celluloids/Izumos/Wood pens/Sterling Silvers,YoL Grand Victorian, and more (I lost counting)

You don't want to got to "inaka" in Japan. It's just so boring. Go to Tokyo and get your pen at a variety pen stores there. No beating around the bush.

I think there is a spice of humor in troglokev's comment and you seem to have little sense of humor(That is saying too much,I think,sorry.) .By the way,I have found the other rare pen at rural shop that is very interesting.The owner of the shop is also a fountain pen enthusiast. I have made several frank exchange of views with her after I bought the pen.I think there must be gems in "inaka"(rural) shops in japan.

rokurinpapa

Edited by rokurinpapa

I think there is a spice of humor in troglokev's comment and you seem to have little sense of humor(That is saying too much,I think,sorry.)

Apology accepted, as there is no point telling other person he/she has little sense of humor simply based on one post. I am sure troglokev posted his comment humorously to illustrate the difficulty in finding the out-of-production limited edition pens.

Thank you Rokurinpapa, excellent review of a pen I did not know about. I liked the understated looks and the flat ends of the pen. The flexible nib on this pen looks very similar to the FA nibs except that the side cutouts are missing. I remember having read in a machine translated Japanese article that the flex nibs are purposely kept plain by Pilot to avoid hardening the nib by the unavoidable stamping that will be required to transfer the designs to the nib.

Look forward to more reviews from you.

Best,

Hari

PS: the black tube looks like the cartridge sleeve that similar to those used on the Capless? I also think this pen will be ideal for ED conversion.

Edited by hari317

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Thank you all for kind words.

I remember having read in a machine translated Japanese article that the flex nibs are purposely kept plain by Pilot to avoid hardening the nib by the unavoidable stamping that will be required to transfer the designs to the nib.

Best,

Hari

PS: the black tube looks like the cartridge sleeve that similar to those used on the Capless? I also think this pen will be ideal for ED conversion.

Sorry, I do not know the above mentioned article. But I think the simple nib is suitable for the purpose of only writing.The tube may be the cartridge sleeve,but, if so,what is the meaning? I wonder.

rokurinpapa

Sorry, I do not know the above mentioned article.

I found the original article, click here.

The tube may be the cartridge sleeve,but, if so,what is the meaning? I wonder.

I wonder too, maybe to disguise the cartridge under its plain black color?, it has no function here.

Best,

Hari

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Another great review of a very attractive pen. Thank you very much rokurinpapa, your review does the pen great justice!

nikolaos

Sorry, I do not know the above mentioned article.

I found the original article, click here.

Best,

Hari

I am really surprised.The article was in HP of a stationery shop in Shiga Prefecture named "Sumiri",near Kyoto ,Japan, and wrote by Mr.Toshiya Fujii who is owner of the shop.How did you find it?

As you said,The article says that the part to be stamped tends to be hard and obstruct the flexibility of the nib,so Pilot have omitted carved stamp as far as possible in its Custom 742FA or 743FA .Thank you for your indication.

I am really surprised.The article was in HP of a stationery shop in Shiga Prefecture named "Sumiri",near Kyoto ,Japan, and wrote by Mr.Toshiya Fujii who is owner of the shop.How did you find it?

Hi, google is our friend. The articles by this gentleman are quite nice and informative. I dreamed about the Custom 743-FA for months and read up everything I could find about it. Finally I purchased it brand new from Japan a few months back and I can say I made a good buy.

Best,

Hari

• 4 months later...

I had missed this great review and thanks to a referral to it in another thread I found it. I really like this pen - thank you for writing such an excellent review of it, Rokurinpapa!

*****the dandelion blog is right here*****

*****the dandelion flickr is right here*****

superb pens thanks for the review :thumbup: :clap1:

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

I'm just waiting for the 100th anniversary pen that should be released in 2018, which will come with a complimentary bank account implosion.

More of a lurker than a poster.

Daily Writers:

- Charcoal Lamy Safari (EF) - Filled with Aurora Blue

- Waterman Phileas (EF) - Filled with Noodler's HOD