Hero 100 Burgundy Red

ThaIwan

Introduction

Being overbid many times or outside shipping zones on the search for a nice Parker 51 at an acceptable price I gave up and decided to go for a Hero 100 which actually I had my eye on for a long time already. I managed to win a bid on a burgundy red one against free shipping cost. Prices are getting steeper for the Hero 100 and they're not offered that much as e.g. the 329 or 616.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2451/3696619245_31d225e4e2.jpg

Design:

Very basic pen but very decently built. Stainless steel cap with a very fine brushed finish. Very straightforward clip, not in Parker style as I believe the older version use to have. The barrel is decorated with a chrome finished conical jewel. The pen has a nice weight, it's heavier than I expected. This is due to the steel threads on the section and the decent converter which is much thinner on the 329 and 616 models.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2518/3696616805_f10edfd894.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3504/3697423276_019e8249c7.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2605/3696607809_3109d5c98b.jpg

Nib:

The pen has a 12 or 14k gold nib which is writing a fine line. At first instance the nib was writing very okay but it was somewhat toothy. Not scratchy but toothy, feeling the structure of the paper very clearly. Still though I was happy with how it was writing. I used a 3 layer nail buffer to smoothen it up a bit and that did do it some good. It's not buttery smooth or like ice on a hot plate or whatsoever.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3445/3696610955_476bb2aed2.jpg

As we all know it's a hooded nib based on the Parker 51 design. To be honest I like longer style nibs so I can see what is happening. With this style of section and nib the section is mostly overshadowing the nib on writing. But yet I do like writing with this pen and of late I've been using it as my most common pen for my daily work and journalling.

The inkflow is very good, nothing to complain about that. Not dry, not skippy, just perfect really.

Converter:

The pen has a very decent squeeze converter. The 329 and 616 models have rather flimsy converters, but this one is really decent. Takes a good load of ink. Nothing much to say about the converter type. Just put the nib in and squeeze. On disadvantage of the design is that when filling you will need to put the section into the ink and it seems that just on the rounding part of the section under the feed some inkstains are forming that are hard to remove.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3436/3696606309_57a4cc8b3f.jpg

Finally:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3510/3697418048_4f9596430a.jpg

I've seen multiple reviews of this pen though not really that many. People are not as keen on this pen as on the 329 or 616. But I must say I'm really happy to have it in my collection. I have many other pens that I've bought that just end up standing there in the jar but this one is going out with me from day to day. Perhaps it will trigger me to try to get a real 51 sometime but for now I parked that plan as I think I have those tools that I really will utilize now.

Edited by MYU

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ThaIwan

• lovemy51

• duna

• Carlitoes

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the review. Although I have both a vacumatic 51 and a ten pack of 616s, I'm still somewhat intrigued by the Hero 100, especially the stainless one.

thanx for the review. i'm looking at my burgundy 100 right this second. this, out of the "51" clones, is the best built (14k nib, better press bar filling system, as you mentioned... etc). i just don't know why i don't use it that much. i find myself reaching for the 616, or some of the others, like the 329, before i think of using the 100.

the nib on mine came smooth, not toothy like yours.

about the ink collecting inside the hood (i'm not sure if i understood you correctly): after inking the pen, get a piece of paper towel, wrap it around the nib and section and shake the pen down a couple of times to get the excess ink out of the collector.

thanx for the review and enjoy your pen!!!

Very objective review. Thank you. I totally agree with your impressions, it's not the best pen in the world, but in my opinion it's not that far from my Pelikans, reliable and always starting when the nib touches the paper. the problem you describe (ink staining the internal part of the section) obviously doesn't affect models with black sections, and those are a dream to clean after filling compared to any exposed nib (it's really easy and fast, almost no ink wasted in cleaning the nib). Of course the ink should be there, like in the red model, but you cannot spot it, for the moment no apparent problem (should I fear ink concretion problems in the future with hooded nibs?) . I can only wonder how does it feel to write with a real 51.

Hi Lovemy51,

Thanks for your comments. I've put links to pictures in the post now as well. If you like in the Nib paragraph picture you will see the inkstain on the section, that is what I meant. Naturally I wipe the section clean as well dry the nib and feed from excessive ink, but on this particular spot the ink seems to grab easily.

Hi Lovemy51,

Thanks for your comments. I've put links to pictures in the post now as well. If you like in the Nib paragraph picture you will see the inkstain on the section, that is what I meant. Naturally I wipe the section clean as well dry the nib and feed from excessive ink, but on this particular spot the ink seems to grab easily.

hmm, that doesn't happen to mine... it's hard to tell from the pic, but does it have a crack?

Hero 100 doesn't have a converter, it has a permanent aerometric filler that can not be removed. Converter means a system that can be removed and replaced with a cartridge.

Hero 100 doesn't have a converter, it has a permanent aerometric filler that can not be removed. Converter means a system that can be removed and replaced with a cartridge.

You're absolutely correct! Slip of my keyboard :-). I didnt mention the squeeze filler is non removable.

I have been carrying a 100 for about a year now as a daily pen. By this time other pens I have had would be showing signs of fatigue (loose caps or threads, etc.) but this one shows no signs of letting up. In fact, though the nib came smooth out of the box, it has gotten smoother with use. It is the definition of a workhorse pen. I like how extremely understated it is as well. It's almost a statement in itself.