Noodler's Red Black

woodworker

I love my Moleskine Journals. I take them everywhere with me. On the job I use one notebook that contains all of my notes, projects etc. In my quest to find good inks that match with this beautiful thin paper I deceided to buy some Noodler's. That name was praised by many of you on the net.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3595/3685065898_c241408361.jpg

I just received my first shipment of Noodler's ink. The first one I tested was the Noodler's Red-Black. I like the small bottle's although I ask myself how I would empty the last drop of it.... Watch out when you open a bottle of Noodler's they are filled to the edge!

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2455/3685069892_8df49fd48f_o.jpg

In the written review:

Friday, july 3, 2009

"Lamy Studio (fine nib) filled with Noodler's Red-Black.

I was amazed by this beautiful color. It shades very nicely from red to black giving it a brownish feel.

This was my very first Noodler's ink I could test.

The lamy Studio is a wet-writer but it does not feather or makes a mess of the other site of this page.

The ink takes about 20 seconds to dry.

I'm happy that I found another good combination for my Moleskine, wich I love so much.

Woodworker"

With the "wet"-writer like the Lamy 2000 it bleeds a little bit trough the pages of the Moleskine paper. But I also tried the ink with Pelikan M1000 (fine), Sailor 911 large (medium) then their is no bleedtrough at all.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2257/3685072738_10937236b3.jpg

Well again a combination of ink, pen and moleskine paper that can work if you were looking for that. I'm looking forward to see your feedback. You can also see the review on my blog: http://inkyjournal.blogspot.com/2009/07/re...-red-black.html

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lloyd

• zenhikester

• Thornton

• woodworker

Wonderful review. The Noodler's Red-Black and the Lamy 2000 are a very handsome combination. I have the pen and the ink is on my want list so perhaps I'll be able to make a similar pairing in the future. Thanks for sharing.

"Instant gratification takes too long."-Carrie Fisher

Great review Woodworker, keep 'em coming.

Glad to see another die-hard Mole fan (people here either love 'em or hate 'em - rather like Marmite!)

Red-Black, along with Walnut, are my favourite Noodler's inks. I use the Red-Black mainly in a Cross CII, fine nib, it is perfectly well behaved. The drying time is not great, because of the saturation, but Noodler's do tend to be quicker than Private Reserve.

Nice review, but now I have to add another ink to my list to buy, thanks

Regards

Piracy: n. Commerce without its folly-swaddle. Just as God made it. Ambrose Bierce.

Nice review, but now I have to add another ink to my list to buy, thanks

Regards

Piracy: n. Commerce without its folly-swaddle. Just as God made it. Ambrose Bierce.

Thank you for the review -- I would really like to see how this compares with De Atramentis Ebony and PR Black Cherry!

Not red enough for me, has a burgundy feeling, although it seems to have nice shading

The voice of this guitar of mine, at the awakening of the morning, wants to sing its joy;

I sing to your volcanoes, to your meadows and flowers, that are like mementos of the greatest of my loves;

If I am to die away from you, may they say I am sleeping, and bring me back home.

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.pnghttp://img356.imageshack.us/img356/8703/letterminizk9.png

I love this ink.

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."

Oscar Wilde

Red Black is one of my very favourite inks. It was also one of my very first inks. It slipped out of use for a while as I experimented and expanded my ink supply with many colors, but it is now back in use again. I currently have it in my red and black ebonite Brian Gray Edison Menlo, with a fine nib turned to be slightly on the wet side. I enjoy it a lot. It may or may not stay in the Menlo, depending on whether the Menlo stays in rotation. I may be sporting a custom pen wrap from Wanda Lo filled with just custom Japanese pens in the near future, as my Danitrio pens start coming in. Then again, that is only 6 pens. Heaven forbid I have less than 8 inked, as I really like having a nice choice of pens every day. Hm, may end up with two Wanda Lo wraps with me every day, one for the custom Japanese pens, and one for the 5 VP's and the Menlo I like having around. Could mean I'll have two pens inked with Red Black then.

Scribere est agere.

To write is to act.

Danitrio Fellowship

I currently have it in my red and black ebonite Brian Gray Edison Menlo, with a fine nib turned to be slightly on the wet side. I enjoy it a lot.

I love this ink. That sounds like a great match. Red/black ink should be mandatory in a red/black ebonite pen.

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."

Oscar Wilde

This ink looks amazing. It is like a darker version of Noodler's Tienanmen with shading.

Currently Inked:

Lamy Safari - Noodlers Zhivago

Thanks for the review, this is one of my favourites. I use mine with a 1.1 italic nib and it looks a lot more brown than the scan here. Maybe a finer nib will bring out more red... I'll have to give it a go.

• 1 month later...

I recently received a beautifully-written letter, with some ink samples, from a fellow-FPNer...it was written with NRB and I attach a small scan.

It may be the gorgeous writing, but I really likethis ink, and am thinking of getting some.

First I will try the small sample in one of my pens, asn see how it suits my scrawl!!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v693/rogerb40uk/NoodlersRedBlack002.jpg

The scan looks very accurate, on my screen.

Edited by rogerb

If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; But if you really make them think, they'll hate you.

Don Marquis

US humorist (1878 - 1937)

I just got some of this ink in a sampler from Pear Tree (no affiliation, just pleased that they offer such a service!) and it is indeed gorgeous. If I wasn't on such a brown ink kick right now it would probably go towards the top of my list of inks to acquire next.

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

• 6 months later...

I received a bottle and am favorably impressed with red-black. I used an Eagle bank nib and liked the dramatic shading from black to red and back again. The ink also went down smoothly, reminding me of Noodler's Eel inks. Thanks, Nathan, for a tantalizing ink!