De Atramentis Bordeauxrot

Jared

I picked up this De Atramentis ink in Germany and have enjoyed the color. This ink isn't scented, although there is a scented line of inks from this company. No feathering or bleeding on this Rhodia paper. Dries relatively quickly. Too bad it's so expensive and hard to get or I expect it would be a popular ink in the US.

Comparison inks samples added as well, applied with strips of paper.

post-4426-1245676980_thumb.jpg

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jared

• Bo Bo Olson

• GreenVelvet

• Peter from Sherwood Park

Thank you for this -- I was waiting for someone to do a comparison with R&K Alt-Bordeaux and now you have!

Looks like a beautiful red. Thanks for your review!

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/8703/letterminizk9.png

Hello Jared,

thanks for the great review.

I happen to know who did open your bottle the first time... :lol:

Anna

I'm not a native speaker of the english language. My apologies in advance when I'm causing trouble by bad grammar, wrong vocabulary, misspelling - friendly correction always welcome!

"...I still believe that people are really good at heart."

Anne Frank, "Diary" (14 years old)

Hello Jared,

thanks for the great review.

I happen to know who did open your bottle the first time... :lol:

Anna

Yes, which is partly why I started my ink book.

Thanks for everything, Anna!

What a lovely handful of colors, displayed cleanly and beautifully. I even like the contrasting election of Pelikan BB for the text. Thank you for the review.

• 10 months later...

Have the ink...is nice...was not truly enthused. More than likely did not have the right paper. Did run it through a couple of nibs....I'll have to run it through some more....on better paper.

I need your nib.

I have to get rid of my OB Lamy Persona nib. It does nothing. It is not cut old style. I have a Pelikan Old Style OB, that shades like the devil....needs nib collar.

First I have to get a nib, made cursive italic, before I go make one into stub italic....but that has been added to the Mount Everest of things I need.

New Style Oblique for me...in I only have one, are just made for folks who hold their pens crooked. I have an old cut OF and OB. I love that OB old style.

Flex makes a lot of difference in ink tones from what I've so far found out.

I still got a lot to learn, like "flow is a bit dry".

On the normal some what cheaper copy paper bought with out FP in mind, ok, with Zerox paper ok, with Landre`'s 90 g/sm Oxford ok, with Brunnen school booklet, 90 g/sm it is dry. Thin first letter.

I just don't know if it was a bit dry on the other papers or not.

The "Power of suggestion", says why that pen writes dry.

Looks like I got to buy a wet ink...I have this one, Lamy Turquoise, Pelikan; Black, Blue, and Brown and MB Sepia and Toffee; reputed dry inks I think.

I hate instant gratification.....I buy pens and don't get nibs modified.

A good wet European ink and good paper is next.

I live in Germany so most US ink is as expensive as this one is.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Nice review, thanks, a striking colour.

And how can this be, because he is the Kwisatz Haderach.

• 3 months later...

I've had a really weird experience with both this ink and R&K Alt Bordeaux. The Alt Bordeaux I have is a dark purplish color when wet, but quickly dries a pinkish-red color. Pretty sure it's not supposed to, especially seeing the comparison above. My Bordeauxrot comes out as a light brown/grey color, and if the name of the ink means it should be a dark red, the ink probably should be as well. I don't know! Strange happenings.

My J. Herbin Larmes de Cassis is kind of faded as well...I wonder what is going on? I got them all as samples in the mail...maybe heat exposure? Thoughts?

"There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed." - E.H.

http://soundoftheanything.blogspot.com/

• 4 months later...

Just got done using a sample of this ink for the first time addressing Christmas cards: very well behaved, great color, with nice shading in a 1.1 Lamy nib.

gary

• 12 years later...

It has been more than a little while since I used that ink. Well over a decade. I had fear of red, in my ink window pens.

I also picked up a half a bottle of DA (Vineyard) Wintegut Clauer Spaetbugunder ink a year or two ago. Dirt cheap.They used a bit of the vineyard's wine to make the ink. It has a winy smell.

I showed the guy upstairs a couple inks from Diamine yesterday and he liked the reddish one. I wasn't going to give him the brand new bottle but remembered I had both DA inks.

I loaded two more black and gold medium-small pens an FK (American Bump Under) Artus Balllit regular flex  Wintegut Clauer Spaetbugunder (could drive there in @1/2 an hour**,) and Bordeauxred in an Osmia 773 KM semi-flex.

The Winegut ink was a tad darker and shades a bit better in a drier nib So I gave away the Bordeauxred.

The real problem is I now have 14 pens inked:headsmack:............I wanted to have only 7 pens inked so i could use up more ink. For many years I had a 'normal' 17 pens inked with different inks....so didn't use up 'much' ink.

Of course giving ink a way is one way to 'use up' ink.B)

There I was with only 7 pens inked for at least 3/4ths a year, perhaps even a whole year:ninja:..., then I made the mistake, that I knew I was making, of peeking around the door into Inky Thoughts and Ink Reviews.

** have to spend ink money on good wines..........have to look up best local years of course. Price is affordable for good wine..(E-8--12)....so I have no excuse.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.