Visconti Van Gogh Maxi: Casa della Stilografica Special Edition

Kamiyashi

Since this is my first review, I thought I would go all out with it, so please enjoy!

Visconti: Van Gogh Maxi, Casa della Stilografica Special Edition

The Visconti Van Gogh pen has always held a special place for me because my very first fountain pen was a Vanilla Midi. Naturally, it was the start of an obsession and I have 24 Visconti pens and counting.

Thus, when I came across this thread here on the forums, I became very curious about the new colors. I had heard rumors earlier in the year that new colors were coming out and I was excited, albeit anxious for them to hit stateside. Well, when I found out that these were exclusive creations for Casa della Stilografica, I caved and ended up eventually importing four of them:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3363/3627538012_96d4cc8e3c_b.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3642/3626723141_def71bd5c4_b.jpg

First Impressions: 10/10

Ever since I saw that first photograph of the pens, I was captivated by the unusual colors. I thought I knew what would be arriving on my doorstep, but I was completely unprepared for what I saw.

The first Van Gogh pens, in my opinion, were very flat in their colors. I was always frustrated by the fact that they didn't quite match up with Van Gogh’s color palette and it was the reason why I never bought the Ocean Blue, despite the fact that blue is my favorite color.

So when I saw the Evergreen pen for the first time at the Philadelphia Pen Show, I was quite taken with the appearance that reminded me almost of shimmery paint. Even though I dislike gold accents, I bought an Evergreen Midi fountain pen with matching ballpoint because I liked the swirls on them so much. It felt like there was more movement in the pattern, which excited me for the direction that the model was starting to take.

What was started in the Evergreen and Cappuccino releases has been taken to a whole different level in these four pens. The colors are brighter, the swirls are more pronounced, and they really are reminiscent of both the color and techniques used by Van Gogh in his paintings. It feels like a natural progression of the Van Gogh model and I’m very pleased with this new material/technique that is being used now.

Appearance & Design: 10/10

Pen 01:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3597/3627539460_5993440f9a_b.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3339/3626724557_d5425b397a_b.jpg

My first thought when I saw this pen in person was, “This is what a Van Gogh pen should look like.” The colors are easily identifiable from numerous Van Gogh paintings and it is just stunning. Pictures simply don’t do this pen justice, because it shimmers in the light beautifully in a way that an image cannot mimic.

The blue is really rich and true, complimented nicely by the green and gold laced throughout it. I think it’s the gold that really makes this pen work, because it draws your eye to it without being overwhelming. The green helps balance it out, but the blue is still my favorite part. I’m glad that it has silver accenting, because gold would have detracted from the overall appearance.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2445/3627539326_985288c1de_b.jpg

More than any other Van Gogh previously available on the North American market that I've seen, this has the appearance of brushstrokes and almost resembles the impasto technique that the artist himself used so frequently. It gives the illusion of movement that invites the eye to follow the lines.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3373/3626724147_a00d20972c_b.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2469/3626724005_bd95c4effd_b.jpg

Pen 02:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3599/3627540758_d6b26542c9_b.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2453/3626726335_ff11c775ff_b.jpg

This pen is stunning because its coloration is so unusual. It was the hardest to photograph as a result, since it’s a mix of grey, lavender, violet, white, and silver. The combination is quite exquisite, although it doesn’t have that same shimmer to it as the one above.

The dark purple is very attractive and complimentary, bringing a warmth to the otherwise cool coloration. In some ways it almost looks like a splash of ink, which is kind of appropriate.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3324/3626726205_c117b8623a_b.jpg

Even though I thought the silver accenting would get lost or fade away into the colors, that isn’t the case at all. It highlights the colors very well and gives the pen a very sophisticated look.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3416/3627540984_8f9f345bec_b.jpg

I was so impressed with these two pens that I knew I would regret not getting the other two pens that had captured my interest. So ignoring the whimpering of my bank account, I went ahead and took the plunge and I can happily say I still don’t have any regrets, other than not having more available funds to get some of the other colors.

Pen 03:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3350/3627539782_360b760836_b.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3302/3626724977_b79961175c_b.jpg

Much like the first pen, the blues in this pen are gorgeous. It also is easily identifiable with multiple Van Gogh painting motifs. The mixture of dark and light blue swirled together is glorious, while interspersed with a pleasing mix of white and silver. This is a very celestial looking pen and the wisps of colors work well together.

One of my favorite sections is the part at the very tip of the cap. The mixing of colors is superbly done and I wish the pictures did it justice, but sadly they pale in comparison to the real thing. The undulating lines are beautifully done and it was one of the first things I noticed when I unboxed the pen for the first time.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3413/3627539692_b740af1718_o.jpg

Parts of this pen are almost transparent like a demonstrator. I’m not sure if this was an intentional part of the design or because it was lack of material due to the fact this was the only one made, but it can be a touch distracting at times. Because it’s so beautiful, I want more of the colors to be present, but that’s a relatively minor quibble--especially since I like demonstrators.

Pen 04:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3400/3626723611_4f48e18f9a_b.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3402/3627538818_15b25f274c_b.jpg

This pen is bright—there really is no other word for it. Of all four pens, this is also the simplest looking and is basically composed of two very similar colors. It is almost identical in color to J. Herbine’s Diablo Menthe ink and has the slightest glimmering sheen to it.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3651/3626723507_a6f4a7a2a1_b.jpg

Although the design is simple, it is very lovely. The two shades of aqua and teal compliment each other well and they mix gently together. The only thing that mars this pen is the seemingly random black dots that are primarily located around the base of the barrel. Again, I’m not sure if this was an intended effect or if this was something that accidentally got worked in during the creation process, but I could see it turning off some potential buyers. It doesn’t particularly bother me, since it reminds me of the way things get embedded in a canvas during painting sessions sometimes; there's a certain charm to it. However, I think some people would ask to see another model in the hopes of the dots being absent.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2451/3627538484_aeea0a4bd5_b.jpg

Weight & Dimensions: 10/10

These are all Maxi sized pens, standard measurements. One thing that I find strange is that they are all weighted differently; the light blue is the lightest of the group, the dark blue is the heaviest. It is a subtle difference, but one that I noticed.

I have no complaints about the weight or dimensions of this pen. It can be used comfortably either posted or uncapped, nor is it heavy enough cause a hand cramp after prolonged writing. Although I have small hands and started off with Midi sized pens, the Maxi size is also great for me.

Nib & Performance: 10/10

Like the standard Maxi pens available, this has a 14K nib. I opted to get all four in bold nibs and I have absolutely fallen in love with the lines it makes. The bold nib produces beautiful shading results and is so fantastically smooth that I can’t believe I haven’t switched to bold sooner! In short, it is exactly what I’ve come to expect from Visconti nibs.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3663/3627540076_84a29bc011.jpg

Filling System: 10/10

The filling system is the standard converter with the silver Visconti top on it. The silver accenting is a nice touch and lends the pen a much more expensive feeling. It works flawlessly in all four pens and I never have any flow issues.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2442/3626723857_a43c327548.jpg

Cost & Value: 10/10

I contacted Marco, the owner of Casa della Stilografica, and he was absolutely wonderful with helping get these pens to me. His prices were very fair and he was generous with the shipping charges from Italy to America. Yes, it was still expensive in these hard economic times, but the prices weren’t unreasonable, especially considering what I was receiving. I would heartily recommend anyone to contact him if they’re interested in the remaining models; his English is superb and his response time is very fast, as is the shipping.

Having the opportunity to own one of a kind Visconti creations is really priceless, so it makes it easier to turn a blind eye toward the financial costs. These are quality pens that will last many years, as will the memory of Marco’s kindness. It was worth absolutely every cent and I’d buy more if there weren’t other bills to pay.

Conclusion: 10/10

These four pens are absolutely stunningly beautiful and I’m so glad that I decided to buy them. Yes, it probably wasn’t the best financial decision since it was easily a month of rent for an apartment, but since when has that ever stopped any of us? Certainly not me…

If this is the direction that Visconti is deciding to take the Van Gogh model, I can only applaud the decision. The vibrant colors and fluidity of the patterns make me very excited for the new line debuting later this year! If they look anything like these, we’re all in for a very wonderful treat!

I’ve always wanted a true blue Van Gogh since I first became aware of fountain pens and now I have three of them, plus a lovely silver that I didn’t even know I wanted until I owned it! These four pens have reminded me why I fell in love with the Van Gogh line in the first place and they really imbue the essence of the artist himself. They’re another great example of the ingenuity of the Visconti brand and I continue to support the brand for reasons like these.

So a very special thank you to Marco of Casa della Stilografica for helping make this possible! Your kindness is appreciated and will always be remembered with great fondness. And I cannot express enough words of gratitude to Dante and Visconti for making the pens that I have always wanted to own.

Visconti: Aida 0/1871, Amigdala, Black Ripple 4/199, Black Storm 8/88, Blue Ripple 870/999, Blue Symphony 88/208, Carbon Dream 4/993, Chatterley Ripple^3 4/25, Custom Ripple 4/4, D'Essai, Gulliver, Homo Sapien, Metropolis 64/288, Millennium Arc 2/1000, Opera Aqua, Opera Demo 547/888, Opera Nordic^2, Opera Water^2, Pericle^2, Ponte Vecchio^2, Ragtime, Ragtime 1174/1988, Replica, VG Custom^8, VG Demo^2, VG Green^2, VG Red, VG Vanilla^3, Versailles 317/365, Viscontina 39/188, Voyager^2

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kamiyashi

• MidnightBlue

• alvarez57

• Ghost Plane

The colours of these pens are stunning....

Too bad I can't get on with the Visconti metal section, otherwise I too would have bought the lot!

@leoniethomas18

Those are fantastic finishes. I can see why you wanted to buy the lot. I'm not usually one for matching pens to ink, but your silvery pen is screaming out for J. Herbin's Poussiere du Lune. Thanks for posting the great images.

JN

I'm not usually one for matching pens to ink, but your silvery pen is screaming out for J. Herbin's Poussiere du Lune.

Matching ink to pens is my guilty pleasure. Right now I have J. Herbin's Blue Nuit in the silver one, although it's not quite right. I'll have to look into the ink you recommended!

Visconti: Aida 0/1871, Amigdala, Black Ripple 4/199, Black Storm 8/88, Blue Ripple 870/999, Blue Symphony 88/208, Carbon Dream 4/993, Chatterley Ripple^3 4/25, Custom Ripple 4/4, D'Essai, Gulliver, Homo Sapien, Metropolis 64/288, Millennium Arc 2/1000, Opera Aqua, Opera Demo 547/888, Opera Nordic^2, Opera Water^2, Pericle^2, Ponte Vecchio^2, Ragtime, Ragtime 1174/1988, Replica, VG Custom^8, VG Demo^2, VG Green^2, VG Red, VG Vanilla^3, Versailles 317/365, Viscontina 39/188, Voyager^2

Congratulations Kamihashi, you are a pen nut. You have great photos and have thoughrougly detailed the finer points of this latest collection of Van Goghs.

The perfect score for a pen with c/c filling, unmatched barrels to caps( apparantly deliberate, but I think convenient), I don't think so!!!!!!!!!! I wouldn't even give my Opera 10, nor my Montegrappas.

Thanks

The perfect score for a pen with c/c filling, unmatched barrels to caps( apparantly deliberate, but I think convenient), I don't think so!!!!!!!!!! I wouldn't even give my Opera 10, nor my Montegrappas.

Thanks

I personally don't understand the hatred/annoyance with the converter filling system. It's easy, efficient, and clean--also, it holds a sufficient amount of ink. Yes, it doesn't hold as much as a piston filler or as the double reservoir power filling system, but it's size of the pen doesn't lend itself to larger capacities. I wouldn't fault this pen for that, thus I didn't dock its score in that area.

I think a matched cap and barrel would defeat the point of a Van Gogh inspired pen. His paintings lacked that balance and the reason why I gave these a higher rating than a standard Van Gogh was because they captured that essence and feeling of the artist's works. Standardized perfection of reproduction would ruin the effect, I think.

Also, I agree about the Opera; depending on which model, I would give it somewhere between a 7 or 8. I'm not blindly defending the brand, because I do think some of the models have clear and easily identifiable faults that a lot of people would agree with, but these are exceptional in comparison to the standard Van Gogh pens previous available, in my opinion.

Just curious, but does the clip wobble around like my old Visc Cappucino. I adjust it to no avail. I agree with you totally about c/c,s and they suit me fine. They hold plenty. I think, above all though, that if they were made of cellulose and non metal sections, and had integrated fillers, they would suit the purists more. Then we could look at 10 out of ten.

tanks

Just curious, but does the clip wobble around like my old Visc Cappucino. I adjust it to no avail. I agree with you totally about c/c,s and they suit me fine. They hold plenty. I think, above all though, that if they were made of cellulose and non metal sections, and had integrated fillers, they would suit the purists more. Then we could look at 10 out of ten.

tanks

I had that problem on my Evergreen, actually; it might have just been that release? I finally got it to an acceptable level of tightness, but it took some fiddling with to get it to that point. These are solid and have no wobble at all. However, the silver one needed adjusted a little when it arrived, but a quick little quarter turn and it was fine. If you're still having problems, perhaps you might want to contact Ken Jones (Visconti North American sales rep) about it?

I quite like the metal, actually; I think it lends itself nicely to the appearance. I have a Visconti 1989 Museum Replica that's made out of antique celluloid with no metal accenting and a piston system that's nice, but it doesn't feel as sturdy and solid as these. I suppose each to their own, ne?

By the way, you have a very very nice selection of Visconti there in your posession. Enjoy. I have three and though I like them aesthetically, I don't warm to them as workers. My Opera is too heavy and a little too flashy. My Maxi and Midi frustrate me with screw on caps. I had bought them thinking I was going to get the snap tops but apparently they had trouble with them. I do agree though the Visconti go that extra little effort. The packaging is great and check out the converter, as stated in you review.

Thanks

By the way, you have a very very nice selection of Visconti there in your posession. Enjoy. I have three and though I like them aesthetically, I don't warm to them as workers. My Opera is too heavy and a little too flashy. My Maxi and Midi frustrate me with screw on caps. I had bought them thinking I was going to get the snap tops but apparently they had trouble with them. I do agree though the Visconti go that extra little effort. The packaging is great and check out the converter, as stated in you review.

Thanks

Thanks! I have a tendency to adopt stray Visconti pens, so I've amassed quite a few, plus the ones I've convinced my folks and friends to buy. They're obviously my primary focus, but I have a weakness for Japanese pens as well, since the Italian nib widths just don't lend themselves to the Japanese language very well. Although vintage Sheaffers are a growing fondness as well, I have a suspicion that Visconti will always be my main brand. Eventually I'd like to get more into Montegrappa, though!

I think the company is starting to get the screw tops to line up better than they used to. I have to manually adjust my Millennium Arc to get the two arches to line up properly; my Metropolis lines up perfectly every single time. Plus I'm quite fond of the locking system used on the Opera Elements pen that was later adopted by the Divina.

Montegrappa is my weakness. However, Namiki and Nakaya I use regularly. japanese nibs just write so well. They are nice workers. But my Opera and my Montegrappa I use when I want to spoil myself.

Thanks

Japanese nibs are fantastic for that really finite detail that kanji requires, but I'm addicted to the smoothness of the Visconti nibs. I thought the medium nibs were wonderful, but the bold nibs are spectacular. My previous experience was with the bold nib on my Montblanc Noblesse and these are positively divine. And since I've already been so spoiled by my Visconti, I figure I might as well use them as my daily writers. They're durable and I never worry about taking them anywhere as a result. Plus they're just so beautiful to look at, which is another perk.

Plus they're all bold nibs, which I know is your weakness, GP. I must admit, I completely understand the appeal and am utterly addicted now!

Those are wonderful, but I think some of the older styles are just as fetching (just a different style).

I think that Visconti got a little lax in either the way they mix the resins (or the company that does it for them) over the last few years.

Here are some pictures of my first gen Maxi in the blue, along side a new Evergreen. The Evergreen is beautiful no doubt, but there is much more variation in the initial model. Even though this is the blue finish, notice how it moves from sky blues to caramel brown. There is one brown section that is translucent, and almost looks like candy.

Forgive my pictures. It is overcast here and I couldnt get much light.

I guess it shows the main reason that Van Goghs have lasted for so long when other maker's models disappear after one or two seasons.

It's always a treat to see exactly what kind of pen you're going to get.

I don't know which of your new babys I would choose, but possibly the light purple finish. That is, if they ever make it to our shores.

Nice pens.

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh130/DougDorann/P6150024.jpg

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh130/DougDorann/P6150025.jpg

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh130/DougDorann/P6150026.jpg

the Danitrio Fellowship

Careful though, Visconti nibs can vary big time. I have a medium which is like a Filcao Fine, and a gold nib too.

Thanks

@Doug C: I really like your Blue one! If they all had been like that, I probably would have bought one, but all the later/current ones I saw were mostly blue and flat, with a little bit of orange and brown thrown in. It's unfortunate, but the Evergreen is a step in the right direction. And as I said, if this is the new direction, I'm excited for what will come out next. Even though I think it seems like they're starting to go the more demonstrator-like route ala the Tortoise release.

@MidnightBlue: I feel like the older nibs were more inconsistent than the current ones. My older pens have fine nibs that write like bolds and I have a medium that writes like a fine. The last few current ones I have all write like what they say, though.

It's one of the great (and bad) things about having so many choices in their resins. They keep coming up with new variations that you just have to have.

Re: the nibs. Mine is a medium, but it writes like a broad, and has a little bit of baby bottom.

It will take a trip to a nibmeister soon to make it work as good as it looks.

the Danitrio Fellowship

I'm finding myself "accidentally" increasing my possession of Viscontis. I just bought one the other days which is giving me a bit of trouble with the feeder.... oh well! I have someone who fixes my pens very well and the turnover is FAST!

Anyways, your pens are just gorgeous!

Here's a pic of mine. ;) My favorite is the tortoise.

http://inlinethumb52.webshots.com/42547/2146506790105226730S425x425Q85.jpg

sonia alvarez

fpn_1379481230__chinkinreduced.jpg